Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Does new rule affect the change of status from B-2 to Permannet Resident

Wikiposts

Does new rule affect the change of status from B-2 to Permannet Resident

Old Apr 30th 2002, 8:01 am
Xiao Li

Default Does new rule affect the change of status from B-2 to Permannet Resident

Could anyone tell me if the new rule regarding the change of status from a visitor to
a student affects the change of status from a visitor to a permanent resident? My
father will come to US as a B-2 visa holder and apply permanant resident right away
since I am a US citizen. Will this cause any problem?

Old Apr 30th 2002, 3:00 pm
James Donovan

Default Re: Does new rule affect the change of status from B-2 to Permannet Resident

Xiao Li <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Could anyone tell me if the new rule regarding the change of status from a visitor
    > to a student affects the change of status from a visitor to a permanent resident?

No it doesn't.

> My father will come to US as a B-2 visa holder and apply permanant resident right
    > away since I am a US citizen. Will this cause any problem?

It's possible he could be turned back at the border for entering on a tourist visa
with immigrant intent. If you wish to go that (risky) route, he should not disclose
his intent at the border (airport/border checkpoint) and you should wait 60 days
before petitioning for him.

If he can wait, the best and safest thing would be consular processing. It takes some
time but is less risky.

Old May 1st 2002, 11:30 am
Raymond Gao

Default Re: Does new rule affect the change of status from B-2 to Permannet Resident

Please call us at 626-403-6966, we can help you Law Office of Benjamin W. Day

Raymond

Xiao Li <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Could anyone tell me if the new rule regarding the change of status from a visitor
    > to a student affects the change of status from a visitor to a permanent resident?
    > My father will come to US as a B-2 visa holder and apply permanant resident right
    > away since I am a US citizen. Will this cause any problem?