Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Does my visa interview have to take place in the UK?

Wikiposts

Does my visa interview have to take place in the UK?

Old Apr 11th 2012, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Lammy123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does my visa interview have to take place in the UK?

I am a UK citizen married to a US citizen. We petitioned in early December 2011.

Once my Form I-130 has been approved in the US, the next stage will be the interview at the US Embassy in London. If all goes well, this could be in June or July. I will need to be in the US for the first week of July and the first week of August for exams. Therefore, if the interview falls around this time I will need to fly back and forth to the US.

If I am lucky, it will all fall into place prior to July. However, if not, is there a way to have the interview in the USA instead?

Likely not, I know.

I don't want to do adjustment of status either. Too long a process.

Last edited by Lammy123; Apr 11th 2012 at 9:10 am.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 9:50 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does my visa interview have to take place in the UK?

Originally Posted by Lammy123
If I am lucky, it will all fall into place prior to July. However, if not, is there a way to have the interview in the USA instead?
No. The visa interview must take place in a US Embassy, outside the USA.

Likely not, I know.
Correct.

I don't want to do adjustment of status either. Too long a process.
Excellent choice...not because it's a long process, but because it's illegal to enter the USA with the intent to remain and adjust status.

You could always slow down the visa process by not returning your ready checklist to the embassy until just before you leave to the USA to take your exams. Then for sure you won't have your visa interview during the exam days.

Also, typical processing for an Immigrant Visa is about 8 to 10 months. So if you filed in Dec 2011, you will probably have your interview around August - October 2012 anyway.

Rene
Old Apr 14th 2012, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

thanks for your help AGAIN...

I wanted to ask you something else. When I submit documents to NVC, some of these documents were already sent off with my I-130. Will they be sent over to NVC? I think I sent original wedding certificate with the I-130, but I see have to send that to NVC?
Old Apr 14th 2012, 6:04 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for your help AGAIN...

I wanted to ask you something else. When I submit documents to NVC, some of these documents were already sent off with my I-130. Will they be sent over to NVC? I think I sent original wedding certificate with the I-130, but I see have to send that to NVC?
With the I-130, photocopies should have been submitted (not originals).

Yes, NVC will want originals of your civil documents (including the certified copy of the marriage certificate). You might want to order another one now, so you'll have it ready to go. NVC also collects the original police certificate, so have that ready to go as well. Keep a photocopy of the police certificate to take to the medical exam.

Rene
Old Apr 14th 2012, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

great - thanks for this.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

I had the original wedding certificate in the end.

Do you think it is better if I collect my joint sponsor's AOS or have him send it direct to NVC when the case no is issued? He said he spoke to someone there and they recommended it. I see it as a potential admin delay getting his and the petitioner's AOS together?
Old Apr 15th 2012, 5:27 am

I had the original wedding certificate in the end.

Do you think it is better if I collect my joint sponsor's AOS or have him send it direct to NVC when the case no is issued? He said he spoke to someone there and they recommended it. I see it as a potential admin delay getting his and the petitioner's AOS together?
My advice is that when NVC requests the I-864, send in the sponsor's I-864 package AND the joint sponsor's I-864 package together in one big envelope. Do not send them separately.

Rene