Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Does household member need to file I-864A?

Wikiposts

Does household member need to file I-864A?

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Toonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to all
Default Does household member need to file I-864A?

Hi,

I am Lesley's husband and have a question. This may have been asked before but I figure better safe than sorry.

My father is co-sponsor for Lesley (I am sponsor) and my father and mother file joint tax returns. My question is whether or not my mother has to file an I-864A if she does not intend to add her income on I-864? Should they just put the total income from their joint tax form only?

Greg
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 11:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does household member need to file I-864A?

Originally Posted by Toonyank
Hi,

I am Lesley's husband and have a question. This may have been asked before but I figure better safe than sorry.

My father is co-sponsor for Lesley (I am sponsor) and my father and mother file joint tax returns. My question is whether or not my mother has to file an I-864A if she does not intend to add her income on I-864? Should they just put the total income from their joint tax form only?

Greg
If dad qualifies on his own income, then mom does not need to be a contributing household member.

If she does not need to be a contributing household member. then no, she does not need to do an I-864A.

Dad should include his W-2's to back up what HIS income is.

Rene
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

Toonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to all

Thanks Rene!

Even if she is on the tax return as joint? Should they then use the adjusted gross income? And yes they send all W2's etc...

Thanks again we're gettin there.

Greg
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 11:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rene!

Even if she is on the tax return as joint? Should they then use the adjusted gross income? And yes they send all W2's etc...

Thanks again we're gettin there.

Greg
I haven't looked at a recent I-864, so I dont' know specifically what the question asks for. All I know is that if your dad qualifies on his income alone, he does not need to write your mom's income along with his (even if it's shown on the tax return). As far as I know, your dad just lists his own income on the I-864. And your mom does not need to do an I-864A because she is not contributing her income to his I-864. Your dad should include pay stubs, a letter from his employer, proof of his US citizenship, the most recent tax return, and his own W-2 from that year.

Rene
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

Well she is in a way including her income because it's included in the joint tax return if that makes sense. I think this is ok because if she were to do an I-864A she would then have to include her/his joint tax return which would be like going round in circles. I think the joint and all supporting W2's would suffice.

Greg
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 11:22 pm

Well she is in a way including her income because it's included in the joint tax return if that makes sense. I think this is ok because if she were to do an I-864A she would then have to include her/his joint tax return which would be like going round in circles. I think the joint and all supporting W2's would suffice.

Greg
Well, her income shows up on the tax return only because they are married and they file a joint tax return. That has nothing to do with the I-864. She is not including her income for specific purpose of meeting the poverty guideline to sponsor you, dad qualifies for that on his own. So no, she doesn't need to do an I-864A. Dad lists his income only on the I-864 and shows a W2 to support his own individual earnings.

Rene
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Rene,

I do realise now that my mom will have to complete an I-864A because if you strip out the individual income from their joint tax return my Dad actually doesn't quite make enough. But my Mom does so maybe I should just have here complete a single I-864 and be the co-sponsor and be done with it. Bureaucracy is great isn't it.

Greg

Last edited by Noorah101; Dec 4th 2008 at 1:05 am. Reason: corrected important typo
Old Dec 4th 2008, 1:07 am

Hi Rene,

I do realise now that my mom will have to complete an I-864A because if you strip out the individual income from their joint tax return my Dad actually doesn't quite make enough. But my Mom does so maybe I should just have here complete a single I-864 and be the co-sponsor and be done with it. Bureaucracy is great isn't it.

Greg
Hi Greg,

If your mom makes enough on her own income, you can just do it the other way around and have your mom be the joint sponsor and have her fill out the I-864 just with her own income.

If they end up needing both incomes to qualify, then one parent will do an I-864, and the other parent will do an I-864A as a contributing household member.

Rene
Old Dec 4th 2008, 6:30 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rene,

Greg
Since they both sound willing to be included, why not just do I-864 + I-864A and be done with it?
Old Dec 4th 2008, 6:57 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Since they both sound willing to be included, why not just do I-864 + I-864A and be done with it?

Because if dad does it alone, then if he passes away before the obligations are fulfilled, then Mom won't still be on the hook. I know the OP does not intend to take means tested benefits but life has a way of throwing curves.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 5:26 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Because if dad does it alone, then if he passes away before the obligations are fulfilled, then Mom won't still be on the hook. I know the OP does not intend to take means tested benefits but life has a way of throwing curves.
I confess, I never thought about it from that angle! That is a very good consideration.

Late to the game I know, but since Mom's income is higher than Dad's (and sufficient where his is not), it's I-864 for Mom only, splitting out her income from the joint return and including her W-2s as evidence of that, right?
Old Dec 5th 2008, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

mrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant future

Hi,

Greg
Hi Greg

Just to say good luck to Lesley for Monday, I will be thinking about her.

Amanda & Cece