Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Documents for CR-1 interview.. (DCF London Embassy)

Documents for CR-1 interview.. (DCF London Embassy)

Old Jul 1st 2011, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

LadyElysium is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Documents for CR-1 interview.. (DCF London Embassy)

Okay, I've been reading different stories about how people were asked for X item at interview which wasn't listed as something to bring for a CR-1 interview. So I want to write down exactly what I'm bringing with me and see if I've missed anything off!

- My passport
- My British birth cert (+1 photocopy)
- My marriage certificate (+1 photocopy)
- My UK police certificate (+1 photocopy)
- DS-230 Part II
- I-864 signed by my husband as the sponsor
- I-864 signed by my father-in-law as the joint sponsor
- Tax returns x 3 years for my husband
- Tax return x 1 year for my father-in-law
- Photocopy of my husband's birth certificate
- Photocopy of my husband's passport
- Photocopy of my father-in-law's birth certificate
- Photocopy of my father-in-law's passport
- My son's UK birth certificate & his American/British passports (as proof of relationship)
- Photos of myself with my husband and our son/families (as proof of relationship)

Do I need anything else?

Do I need to somehow prove my husband's domicile in the US? He's been there since April this year so it wouldn't be hard to prove.

Do I need to get paystubs for my father-in-law as it's his joint sponsorship that'll be getting me through this process!

Do I need to photocopy anything above not already listed as photocopied?

Do I need any originals that I've listed as photocopies on there?

Yes I realise I'm being completely anal, but I do not want to get there only to be told I've forgotten something.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 8:57 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Documents for CR-1 interview.. (DCF London Embassy)

Originally Posted by LadyElysium
Do I need to get paystubs for my father-in-law as it's his joint sponsorship that'll be getting me through this process!
Yes, you need something from your father in law showing his current income. A few recent paystubs would be good.

You also might need 2 more tax returns from father in law. The requirement might be 1, but the ConOff often asks for 3.

Rene
Old Jul 1st 2011, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The requirement might be 1, but the ConOff often asks for 3.

Rene
Argh, how frustrating! I'll get those sorted ASAP, thanks :]
Old Jul 1st 2011, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Gerber will become famous soon enough

Ref your FIL's tax docs, I had my father forward me his last 3 plus any related W-2s, 1090s, etc (per I-864 instructions). If he has tax transcripts, though, which he can readily obtain from the IRS, he can just scan and forward copies of such to you. The I-864 says the other two are "optional", however, I didn't want take the chance of delaying my DH's visa approval by not having them.

Btw, somewhere I read people were also bringing their US spouse's original birth certificate to the interview. Will a copy suffice? I want to take mine with me when I return to the US, prior to DH's interview.

Good luck with your interview!! Let's us know how you get on!
Old Jul 1st 2011, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gerber
Ref your FIL's tax docs, I had my father forward me his last 3 plus any related W-2s, 1090s, etc (per I-864 instructions). If he has tax transcripts, though, which he can readily obtain from the IRS, he can just scan and forward copies of such to you. The I-864 says the other two are "optional", however, I didn't want take the chance of delaying my DH's visa approval by not having them.

Btw, somewhere I read people were also bringing their US spouse's original birth certificate to the interview. Will a copy suffice? I want to take mine with me when I return to the US, prior to DH's interview.

Good luck with your interview!! Let's us know how you get on!
I've not heard of people taking their spouse's original US birth cert? Oh man, am I going to have to get him to overnight it for stupid amounts of $$?
Old Jul 1st 2011, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

I've not heard of people taking their spouse's original US birth cert? Oh man, am I going to have to get him to overnight it for stupid amounts of $$?
OK, I have since re-read the "Document Checklist" for the interview, which states:

Birth Certificate:
Obtain the original, or certified copy, of the birth record of each family member (yourself, spouse, and all unmarried children under the age of 21, even if they are not immigrating with you...)

Note: We will not accept the short form version of a UK birth certificate. The certificate must list both parent's names.

I hope this clears the matter up.

Last edited by Gerber; Jul 1st 2011 at 12:09 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Okay, I've been reading different stories about how people were asked for X item at interview which wasn't listed as something to bring for a CR-1 interview. So I want to write down exactly what I'm bringing with me and see if I've missed anything off!

- My passport
- My British birth cert (+1 photocopy)
- My marriage certificate (+1 photocopy)
- My UK police certificate (+1 photocopy)
- DS-230 Part II
- I-864 signed by my husband as the sponsor
- I-864 signed by my father-in-law as the joint sponsor
- Tax returns x 3 years for my husband
- Tax return x 1 year for my father-in-law
- Photocopy of my husband's birth certificate
- Photocopy of my husband's passport
- Photocopy of my father-in-law's birth certificate
- Photocopy of my father-in-law's passport
- My son's UK birth certificate & his American/British passports (as proof of relationship)
- Photos of myself with my husband and our son/families (as proof of relationship)

Do I need anything else?

Do I need to somehow prove my husband's domicile in the US? He's been there since April this year so it wouldn't be hard to prove.

Do I need to photocopy anything above not already listed as photocopied?

Do I need any originals that I've listed as photocopies on there?

Yes I realise I'm being completely anal, but I do not want to get there only to be told I've forgotten something.
Don't forget the 3 color photos and, if prior marriages, they want see divorce, etc. papers.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

shadowmeister is just really niceshadowmeister is just really niceshadowmeister is just really niceshadowmeister is just really niceshadowmeister is just really niceshadowmeister is just really niceshadowmeister is just really niceshadowmeister is just really nice

OK, I have since re-read the "Document Checklist" for the interview, which states:

Birth Certificate:
Obtain the original, or certified copy, of the birth record of each family member (yourself, spouse, and all unmarried children under the age of 21, even if they are not immigrating with you...)

Note: We will not accept the short form version of a UK birth certificate. The certificate must list both parent's names.

I hope this clears the matter up.
I dont think it does...
because before that it states..
Documents Required in Support of the Visa Application
Please obtain the original documents or certified copies, and one photocopy, for yourself and each family member applying for an immigrant visa

to me these are meaning birth certificates of people immigrating .. and the USC is not immigrating..
Old Jul 1st 2011, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shadowmeister
I dont think it does...
because before that it states..
Documents Required in Support of the Visa Application
Please obtain the original documents or certified copies, and one photocopy, for yourself and each family member applying for an immigrant visa

to me these are meaning birth certificates of people immigrating .. and the USC is not immigrating..
Yes, I see your point, however, they require all children's bc's, even if they are not immigrating (ie. as with our DD, who is dual).

Can anyone who recently attended an interview please clarify?
Old Jul 1st 2011, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

shadowmeister is just really niceshadowmeister is just really niceshadowmeister is just really niceshadowmeister is just really niceshadowmeister is just really niceshadowmeister is just really niceshadowmeister is just really niceshadowmeister is just really nice

Yes, I see your point, however, they require all children's bc's, even if they are not immigrating (ie. as with our DD, who is dual).

Can anyone who recently attended an interview please clarify?
but i think when they say 'not immigrating' to mean if they are not going to the U.S. on an immigrant Visas

I mean I have 2 children to a prev marriage and the are dual and my husband was not planning on bringing their birth certificates because they have already lived in the u.s.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Yes please do clarify as the more I look at it the more unsure I am about it.

My husband was only bringing his own birth certificate - UK Long form to satisfy the birth certificate part of it.

He was not planning on including birth certificates for myself being the USC and my 2 children from previous marriage also USC and all having lived in the US previously.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Jseaward's experience on this from another thread about birth certificates.

Originally Posted by jseaward
It's a tricky one. The website lists it as one of the required documents so I took it along but the lady sorting through my paperwork didn't want it... in fact I gave her a bundle of 5 birth certificates (mine, my wife's and our 3 kids) with a copy of each and she sorted through them saying she didn't need my wife's or the children's certificates as they are USC's and not immigrating.

If you go along without then you'll probably be fine but as time is tight and getting approved on the day is clearly important for you, I would recommend having everything that is on the list.

J
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for posting that shadowmeister!

As for me, I think I'll play it safe and send him with the docs.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for posting that shadowmeister!

As for me, I think I'll play it safe and send him with the docs.
Yea really, might as well whats a few more pieces of paper , better safe than sorry.

good luck
Old Jul 4th 2011, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shadowmeister
Yea really, might as well whats a few more pieces of paper , better safe than sorry.

good luck
Thanks - good luck to you also!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.