Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Documentation to send with I-751

Documentation to send with I-751

Old Apr 2nd 2016, 6:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Documentation to send with I-751

Originally Posted by Jerni
Over on Visajourney - they have a huge forum dedicated to removal of conditions with monthly trackers where people post their timelines and report RFEs along with the reasons why they were issued.

Since I'm currently going through this process, I carefully researched what USCIS was looking for before I mailed my package - it seems ridiculous for people with no personal experience in the process to argue the matter. I would not have included full bank statements had others not reported this is something USCIS looks for. I'm trying to help the OP not hinder them...
Enough said.
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Jerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Enough said.
Indeed. It's a great resource for I-751 filers.
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 7:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Your opinion; unfortunately, not one that is shared by many here.

From the I-751 instructions:

"Evidence of the Relationship
Submit copies of documents indicating that the marriage upon which you were granted conditional status was entered in “good faith” and was not for the purpose of circumventing immigration laws. Submit copies of as many documents as you can to establish this fact, to demonstrate the circumstances of the relationship from the date of the marriage to the present date, and to demonstrate any circumstances surrounding the end of the relationship, if it has ended. The documents should include, but are not limited to, the following examples:
1. Birth certificates of children born during the time of this marriage, if any;
2. Lease or mortgage contracts showing joint occupancy and/or ownership of your communal residence;
3. Financial records showing joint ownership of assets and joint responsibility for liabilities, such as joint savings and checking accounts with transaction history, complete joint Federal and State tax returns, insurance policies that show the other spouse as the beneficiary, joint utility bills, or joint installment or other loans. If applicable, submit copies of military Leave and Earnings Statements showing receipt of Basic Allowance for Quarters (BAQ) with family members and/or Form DD-1172 for military family member identification cards;
4. Other documents that you consider relevant to establish that your marriage was not entered for the purpose of evading U.S. immigration laws; and

and
Form I-751 Instructions 11/23/15 N Page 6 of 10

1. Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by at least two people who have known both of you since your conditional residence was granted and have personal knowledge of your marriage and relationship. (Such persons may be required to testify before an immigration officer as to the information contained in the affidavit.) The original affidavit must be submitted and also contain the following information regarding the person making the affidavit: his or her full name and address; date and place of birth; relationship to you or your spouse, if any; and full information and complete details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge. Affidavits must be supported by other types of evidence listed above. "

There is no interpretation showing that the transaction history means complete bank statements for the two year period. It can be done with front pages of bank statements only (if the account is joint) with perhaps an inclusion of direct deposit statements showing the deposit of both persons' paychecks. You can, if you want, include a few miscellaneous cancelled checks. This has not changed since we filed our I-751 and those are the things we included. We never had joint savings accounts, joint loans or liabilities or joint assets.

Perhaps those who were given RFE's didn't include the items I mentioned that showed that the accounts were active and that monies were supplied to it by both persons.

BTW my prior post was ON TOPIC.
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

Jerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
The documents should include...Financial records showing joint ownership of assets and joint responsibility for liabilities, such as joint savings and checking accounts with transaction history...
Perhaps you should read the instruction again more slowly...it clearly says bank statements should be included with the transaction history. Not just the first page or partial transaction history.

There is no interpretation showing that the transaction history means complete bank statements for the two year period.
It does clearly state on the instructions:
Submit copies of as many documents as you can to establish this fact, to demonstrate the circumstances of the relationship from the date of the marriage to the present date.
So bank statements with transaction history covering the period from date of marriage until present time. Simple really, it's your interpretation that is incorrect/outdated.
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 3:24 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerni
Perhaps you should read the instruction again more slowly...it clearly says bank statements should be included with the transaction history.
Should be... not must be. There's a difference - and words have meaning.

Simple really, it's your interpretation that is incorrect/outdated.
With respect, it appears that you don't understand the English language as written by the US government.

Ian
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Should be... not must be. There's a difference - and words have meaning.

With respect, you don't understand the English language as written by the US government.

Ian
With respect, you don't have any direct experience in the process.
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 3:57 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I do have direct experience, and the fact is that bank statements are only one way of proving joint life together. USCIS does not require them; it's only a suggestion as one of the pieces of evidence you can include.

I'm sure the OP has enough information now. Thread closed.

Rene