Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Do you have American friends that.......

Wikiposts

Do you have American friends that.......

Old Feb 20th 2008, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have American friends that.......

Originally Posted by Rete
Well I can tell you that when my mother married my dad in 1948 it was not automatic. She still have to be interviewed at the US Consulate in Germany and became a PR when she entered and wait to be eligible for naturalization.
My MIL married a USC in the early 60s. He died in the mid-1980s and she didn't have US citizenship, and has since lost her green card through living in the UK. So she has American children living in the US but if she wants to live with them she has to go through the whole immigration procedure again. No one anywhere seems to believe me when I explain that to them - they assume that you can automatically live in the same country as your parents or children...
Old Feb 20th 2008, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
My MIL married a USC in the early 60s. He died in the mid-1980s and she didn't have US citizenship, and has since lost her green card through living in the UK. So she has American children living in the US but if she wants to live with them she has to go through the whole immigration procedure again. No one anywhere seems to believe me when I explain that to them - they assume that you can automatically live in the same country as your parents or children...
My Mum assumed she could come and live with me unfortunately that's not the case.

phew
Old Feb 20th 2008, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danfan
Yes to almost everyone assuming I must automatically be a citizen & ditto to the comment about rants about immigrants. I often have to clear my throat around friends, neighbors, family with an "Excuse me! I am an immigrant!" to which they always say "Oh we don't mean you of course." *sigh*
They're talking about the 'other kind' right! The ones that get seen first in the hospital...funny because it used to be the drunks that got seen first...
Old Feb 20th 2008, 1:34 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Flying out of Heathrow a couple of years ago I had a BAA employee at the departure gate who, when seeing I did not have a return ticket to the USA, asked to see my green card “to prove you’re a US citizen” I tried to tell her that if anything, it proved the opposite, and tried to tell her the difference between USC and LPR, but she just wouldn’t have it. The Mrs had to pull me away because we were starting to hold up the boarding queue.
I had a similar problem with US Airways they insisted I fill in the I94(?) I kept repeating I didn't but it wouldn't listen.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 1:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sime303
hehe I was joking with him. I know someone doesn't stop being a friend with someone because they don't know all about their countries immigration laws. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I was just curious what experiences others had come across in this regard.

Even now, 10 years later and having achieved naturalization, people still look at my husband cockeyed when he details what processing he had to go through from the start just to enter the US legally with the intent to marry and remain which his USC wife.

But then, honestly, until I did research, I hadn't much more than a passing knowledge of the process myself.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:25 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
And do these Brits think that if it were the opposite that the USC emigrating to the UK to live with their spouse doesn't have to go through UK immigration?
Well, we did that first but that process is a lot more simple.. I think people in general don't know what it takes to emigrate unless they have to do it themselves or they know people close to them who go through it..
Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:52 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I just found out that my Great Grandmother never became a citizen. I think my Mom has her on audio cassettes talking in her broken English about going through processing at Ellis Island. My Great Grandfather had been here several years working as a coal miner and sent for them when he had saved enough to secure passage for her and my great aunt who was a young girl at the time. This would have been about 1912 or so. I remember as a boy (I was 12 when she died at the age of 93) wondering why she called cars "machines". My Grandfather's car was always "The Machine" to her. She had lived with my Grandparents since 1939, after my Great Grandfather was shot and killed in the crossfire of a gunfight that occured in the Saloon where he was working at the time.

OOPS, sorry for going off topic, started waxing sentimental...
Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:59 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
It's just my life experience, but just because someone is mistaken in one area doesn't preclude having a friendship with them..........

My grandmother was Canadian but became a USC when she married my grandfather, however things were different in 1920...
They changed not long after that, though - after about 1922 foreign women marrying American men did have to naturalize (due to the Cable Act).

Foreign women marrying British men got automatic British nationality right up to 1949, and up until 1983 were allowed to register as British solely on the grounds of marriage.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

Pennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant future

Most of the Americans that I meet do not have any idea how difficult it is to become a legal PR, let alone a citizen and are honestly quite horrified that we pay tax but can't vote. Don't blame them, as someone has already said, why should they know? Until recently I would have thought the same way about the the UK. My cousins who were born in South Africa, have a Dutch father and British mother and hold British passports have had to jump through hoops to live and work legally in the UK. Most of the family say thats ridiculous look at the Polish etc, etc.
I think the assumption is made that if in the US and UK, English is your first language then the adopted country should welcome you into it's warm embrace.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of Brits have that warped idea of how being British somehow gives you special treatment if you want to live here, or in fact pretty much anywhere!
Old Feb 21st 2008, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pennywell
Until recently I would have thought the same way about the the UK. My cousins who were born in South Africa, have a Dutch father and British mother and hold British passports have had to jump through hoops to live and work legally in the UK. Most of the family say thats ridiculous look at the Polish etc, etc.
I think the assumption is made that if in the US and UK, English is your first language then the adopted country should welcome you into it's warm embrace.
Yes my husband's mother in British but that didn't automatically make him British - he still had to live there for a certain amount of time on an Unlimited Leave to Remain visa, then apply for citizenship.

His sister currently has no rights to live in the UK - not sure if there is a process through which she could even get a visa to live there now?
Old Feb 21st 2008, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

E17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud of

There is a common confusion between the term "citizen" and the term "resident". And to be honest until I moved outside the UK I probably wouldn't have known the difference.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Me either.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

E17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud of

There is also a common assumption that not only do they hand out citizenships at the entry points, not only are they are freely accepted by those arriving, but they also have incineration points for foreigners' now unnecessary native passports.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 5:27 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
yes

because they are ignorant
and tele shows don't help....though Eli Stone almost got it right the other day by calling the INS CIS, that was close enough

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.