Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Do you have American friends that.......

Wikiposts

Do you have American friends that.......

Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:18 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have American friends that.......

Originally Posted by Tracym
It is a very common misconception here that marriage to a USC pretty much automatically lets you live here/become a USC.

If fact, I've never met anyone who hasn't tangled with immigration themself, who didn't think that.

In fairness. I think some years ago, it was almost automatic - much more difficult these days.

Well I can tell you that when my mother married my dad in 1948 it was not automatic. She still have to be interviewed at the US Consulate in Germany and became a PR when she entered and wait to be eligible for naturalization.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:19 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
Yes, but not only here.. In England everybody was surprised to see that I had to go through an immigration process, they assumed that, because I was married to a USC, I was allowed to live/work here..

And do these Brits think that if it were the opposite that the USC emigrating to the UK to live with their spouse doesn't have to go through UK immigration?
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Well I can tell you that when my mother married my dad in 1948 it was not automatic. She still have to be interviewed at the US Consulate in Germany and became a PR when she entered and wait to be eligible for naturalization.
I didn't mean to imply there was no interview or anything. I just meant that I was told it used to be easier - and one was generally approved. Apparently (so I've been told) things tightened up in recent years, especially after 9/11.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:54 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

And do these Brits think that if it were the opposite that the USC emigrating to the UK to live with their spouse doesn't have to go through UK immigration?
Many Brits seem to think that *anyone* can immigrate to the UK without any questions asked...

And they get full-service benefits and a council house as a matter of course.

<<<sigh>>>
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody immigrants!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 4:51 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

As for friendship with someone that doesn't know about US immigration processing, why would their NOT knowing the process involved exclude them from being a friend. So I have knowledge about one field while they might have knowledge about another. We can learn from each other.
hehe I was joking with him. I know someone doesn't stop being a friend with someone because they don't know all about their countries immigration laws. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I was just curious what experiences others had come across in this regard.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 5:54 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sime303
Then why are you friends with them. Sorry just had to ask. lol
ignorance is mostly excusable, I would not expect the average american layperson to know that getting married does not immediately confer citizenship
Old Feb 20th 2008, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the same mistake is common with the whole anchor baby issue.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 6:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Many Brits seem to think that *anyone* can immigrate to the UK without any questions asked...

And they get full-service benefits and a council house as a matter of course.

<<<sigh>>>
Also they get 'seen ahead of you' in hospital, apparently.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sime303
assume if you moved here to marry a USC or ended marrying one after coming to the US for other reasons that you are an automatic USC?

Sorry if this question has been asked many times before but I am new and I was just wondering because it happens to me all the time. I then have to explain the whole process to them so they can see at the moment I am still British (I'll have dual if I ever get my lazy rear in gear). Thank you all for you patience with a newb lol.

I had lots of American friends in this area years before I met Kate ....

Sadly one of the best friends I ever had moved from here to Arizona so I don't see him that much
Old Feb 20th 2008, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Also they get 'seen ahead of you' in hospital, apparently.
Yeah that comment was funny. I've never had that happen to me. Maybe I should complain somewhere?
Old Feb 20th 2008, 6:28 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
ignorance is mostly excusable, I would not expect the average american layperson to know that getting married does not immediately confer citizenship
It sure would have saved a lot of time and money!!!!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
I wonder if any of you have the same thing as I do with my husband's family, which is that they have no problem ranting on about the 'bloody immigrants', when they have a bunch of British emigrants in their own family!
Yeah I've had that happen, more in the extended family though. What's funny is, one great-aunt has lived in the US for 60 years as an illegal from Canada. All the time married to a USC. Apparently they thought she was allowed to just stay here. I don't know them well enough and they're so old by now that I'm not 'getting into' (as in: finding out all ins and outs) that one with them though, lol. All I know is they found out later she was here illegal and never fixed it.

Everyone assumes that I was just allowed to move here and stay as well, and they're wondering why I'm not voting in November (even though I have explained it about fifty times). The more direct family knows better since they saw us go through the process (which they thought was horrid - it was an 80 day DCF fer cryin' out loud! ).
Old Feb 20th 2008, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
I think that mis-information about immigration is just as widespread here as it is in the UK. I wonder if any of you have the same thing as I do with my husband's family, which is that they have no problem ranting on about the 'bloody immigrants', when they have a bunch of British emigrants in their own family!
Yes to almost everyone assuming I must automatically be a citizen & ditto to the comment about rants about immigrants. I often have to clear my throat around friends, neighbors, family with an "Excuse me! I am an immigrant!" to which they always say "Oh we don't mean you of course." *sigh*
Old Feb 20th 2008, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Of course. It's hardly unusual that native-born citizens don't know the ins and outs of their country's immigration laws. Most of my wife's friends assumed I magically became a US citizen immediately upon marriage. With all the talk of illegal immigration and work permits, though, it was a bit surprising to discover that quite a few Americans assume that Canadians can simply move to the US, take up residence, get a job, etc, with no interaction with the immigration system.
Not helped by films like Knocked Up where early on the main character says he's an illegal from Canada who can't work, yet by the end of the film he has a nice job...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.