Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Do we have to be married for 2 years to apply for K-3 visa?

Wikiposts

Do we have to be married for 2 years to apply for K-3 visa?

Old Aug 1st 2003, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

kevin_nash is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do we have to be married for 2 years to apply for K-3 visa?

They told me that i can't apply for K-3 visa because i've been married for only 2 months. (I am from turkey and got married to american citizen)
Old Aug 1st 2003, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

is there anyone who applied before 2nd anniversary of their marriage?
Old Aug 1st 2003, 8:47 am
King of the Mountain

berga is an unknown quantity at this point

No I got my K3 in my passport and are moving over in 6 weeks and we got married 26th of dec las year. So just go for it for what I know.
Old Aug 1st 2003, 8:47 am
Reechard

Originally posted by kevin_nash
is there anyone who applied before 2nd anniversary of their marriage?
You don't have to be married 2 years to file for a K-3, plenty of people have filed for K-3 immediately after their marriage.

Old Aug 1st 2003, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

In the consulates they didn't let me apply for K-3 because i wasn't married for 2 years. What should i do?
Old Aug 1st 2003, 9:01 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who told you that?

Who told you that??
That is so not true! I got married july 26 and I am going to apply for a k3
What it is about the 2 years is that If you have been married less than two years at the time you received your permanent residence based upon marriage to a citizen, then you will receive conditional permanent residence. After 21 months as a conditional permanent resident, you must apply to remove the conditions to become a permanent resident.

Good Luck!!
Old Aug 1st 2003, 9:04 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Default I-130?

Did you file the I-130 first?? You have to do it order to apply for a k3..
Old Aug 1st 2003, 9:14 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do we have to be married for 2 years to apply for K-3 visa?

They told me that i can't apply for K-3 visa because i've been married for only 2 months. (I am from turkey and got married to american citizen)
Hi:

Oh, you have really got to be careful about "they" -- "They" is notorious for giving bad advice.

K-3 can be filed AFTER filing the I-130.
Old Aug 1st 2003, 9:26 am
Mrtravel

kevin_nash wrote:

> is there anyone who applied before 2nd anniversary of their marriage?

There is no minimum marriage time required to apply for K-3.
Where did you get this information?

Old Aug 1st 2003, 9:27 am
Mrtravel

kevin_nash wrote:

> In the consulates they didn't let me apply for K-3 because i wasn't
    > married for 2 years. What should i do?

Did BCIS approve the I-129F filed by your spouse?

Old Aug 1st 2003, 9:19 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Oh, you have really got to be careful about "they" -- "They" is notorious for giving bad advice.

K-3 can be filed AFTER filing the I-130.
Or, in Turkey, the I-130 can be filed directly at the Consulate and the individual can apply for an Immigrant Visa.
Old Aug 1st 2003, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

I told them i wanted to apply for k-3 after i fill I-130 but the officer told me to go home and fill the forms they gave me (I-130 and stuff like that) and send them to the consulates by mail and apply for immigrant visa. She said i can't get any other kinds of visas
Old Aug 1st 2003, 11:08 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I told them i wanted to apply for k-3 after i fill I-130 but the officer told me to go home and fill the forms they gave me (I-130 and stuff like that) and send them to the consulates by mail and apply for immigrant visa. She said i can't get any other kinds of visas
Is your USC spouse in Turkey now? If so, what's the problem. An Immigrant Visa is superior to a K3.
Old Aug 1st 2003, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by meauxna
Or, in Turkey, the I-130 can be filed directly at the Consulate and the individual can apply for an Immigrant Visa.

yes that's true. The officer said i could get my immigrant visa in 3-4 months.
Old Aug 2nd 2003, 12:07 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

yes that's true. The officer said i could get my immigrant visa in 3-4 months.
Either way, sounds like a plan and a solution.
Good luck.