Wikiposts

Do I need a lawyer?

Old Oct 23rd 2012, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

catsutton14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do I need a lawyer?

Hey all,

So just from reading around/speaking to people-I'm a little concerned that my hubby and I have gone at this alone and haven't hired a lawyer to help with the process. We really cannot afford one, however I'm concerned that people are suggesting not hiring one is going to be a BIG mistake.

I understand that obviously the tiniest mistake on any part of the application can delay it. But I guess I was just wondering whether people on here have gone with a lawyer or whether people have successfully received their visas without the help of a third party?

Cat x
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 6:16 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need a lawyer?

Well as you say hubby assuming you are applying for a CR1 or IR1 visa, and it is all straightforward, no CIMTs etc, then not using a lawyer is the way most people go. If however it isn't straight forward and you think there maybe a problem, at least a consultation with a lawyer can prove helpful.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 6:24 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes people here have gone with a lawyer and yes people here have successfully received their visas without the help of a third party, be that third party a lawyer or something else such as an internet group like this one.

What you should do depends on your personality and circumstances, and you've given no clue as to either in this post, so there's little more that can be said at this point.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by catsutton14
... I was just wondering whether people on here have gone with a lawyer or whether people have successfully received their visas without the help of a third party?
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

We're applying for a straight up CR1 visa - we married in June of this year (and neither of us have married before). Neither of us have any criminal convictions, and I have never had a US visa denied in the past (I've had 4 J1 visas)

We've received our receipt for our I-130 form so currently waiting for it to process.
As far as I'm aware, we don't have anything that would interfere with our application. Our biggest fear is our financial state (as we both just graduated from college this past year) However, we are using his parents as joint sponsors (his mom makes around $75,000) so we are hoping that this will be okay?

Thanks
Cat x
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

We're applying for a straight up CR1 visa - we married in June of this year (and neither of us have married before). Neither of us have any criminal convictions, and I have never had a US visa denied in the past (I've had 4 J1 visas)

We've received our receipt for our I-130 form so currently waiting for it to process.
As far as I'm aware, we don't have anything that would interfere with our application. Our biggest fear is our financial state (as we both just graduated from college this past year) However, we are using his parents as joint sponsors (his mom makes around $75,000) so we are hoping that this will be okay?

Thanks
Cat x
Your future MIL's income is more than sufficient for an I-864 income requirement. If your case is really as straight-forward as you say it is, then you would be a pretty good candidate for a DIY visa application...as long you both know how to read, follow instructions, and know when to ask questions on how to fill out the forms. Don't feel stupid for asking questions about filling in forms. As we often say around here, there is English and then there's Immigration English. FWIW, I used this forum for all of the applications for my hubby of 8 years - from K1 to naturalization. We had a straight-forward case as well.

However, if it suits your peace of mind, it wouldn't hurt to have a one-time consultation with a lawyer. Generally these are low cost for 1 hour of time. Some people like having the lawyer do everything so they know the paperwork is filled out correctly and whatnot, because they are afraid of the paperwork bureaucracy of immigration (and there's nothing wrong with that).

It all depends on what you are most comfy with.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 7:04 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you ought to be able to do it without a lawyer.

Regards, JEff

Thanks
Cat x
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 9:06 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Our biggest fear is our financial state (as we both just graduated from college this past year) However, we are using his parents as joint sponsors (his mom makes around $75,000)...
These two statements are at odds with each other. If you have a joint sponsor with more than sufficient income, it doesn't matter whether or not you're new graduates or, indeed, whether you have any income/assets at all. It's a non-issue.

But, just to correct what you've written. Either his mom or his dad will be a joint sponsor - they can't both be joint sponsors, insofar as you can have only one joint sponsor. If dad's income is being used (although it doesn't look like it needs to be), he'll be a contributing household member.

Ian
Old Oct 24th 2012, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

Excellent thank you for your help.

Ian, my husband was under the impression he could use himself and up to 2 sponsors? (I should mention his parents are divorced so their incomes are separate)
However, from the vibe I'm getting I think we might just stick with his mom as hopefully that alone will be fine

Thanks,

Cat
Old Oct 24th 2012, 3:49 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ian, my husband was under the impression he could use himself and up to 2 sponsors? (I should mention his parents are divorced so their incomes are separate)
This is not correct.

Your husband is the financial sponsor and will fill out an I-864....even if his income is not enough.

Each immigrant can have only ONE joint sponsor. So if his mom qualifies financially on her income alone, she can be a joint sponsor. She fills out a separate I-864.

If your mom's income is not enough on her own, then her husband can be a contributing household member, in which case an I-864A is also used.

Your husband cannot combine his income with anyone else's income, unless that person is also living in his same household - in which case that person becomes a contributing household member and does an I-864A.

Rene
Old Oct 24th 2012, 4:14 am

Wrong impression.
Ian, my husband was under the impression he could use himself and up to 2 sponsors?
Yes, you should. Not because their incomes are separate, but because they cannot be considered members of the same household.
(I should mention his parents are divorced so their incomes are separate)

Not now that that cat has revealed the rather critical detail that mom does not have a husband. Or if she does, it isn't the person we first thought it was. (But you are correct, if she has remarried she can use her current husband as a contributing household member.)
Originally Posted by Noorah101
If your mom's income is not enough on her own, then her husband can be a contributing household member, in which case an I-864A is also used.
Regards, JEff