Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Do I need Joint Tax Return for AOS interview?

Wikiposts

Do I need Joint Tax Return for AOS interview?

Old Jun 2nd 2002, 6:20 am
Dan

Default Do I need Joint Tax Return for AOS interview?

Hi...There...

I have a question about AOS Interview... She works...and I work both...

I found that many couples prepared the joint tax returns for the evidence of
marriage. (and also same bank account, bill....insurance...and so on)

For our couple, It takes more tax than separate tax returns if we report joint tax
return... but still do we need joint tax return for interview?

No one likes to pay more tax...which do I choose to? Joint tax returns is the
indispensable condition? or...not necessary?

Thanks..

Old Jun 2nd 2002, 6:20 am
Alvena Ferreira

Default Re: Do I need Joint Tax Return for AOS interview?

Dan wrote:
    > I have a question about AOS Interview... She works...and I work both... I found
    > that many couples prepared the joint tax returns for the evidence of marriage. (and
    > also same bank account, bill....insurance...and so on) For our couple, It takes
    > more tax than separate tax returns if we report joint tax return... but still do we
    > need joint tax return for interview? No one likes to pay more tax...which do I
    > choose to? Joint tax returns is the indispensable condition? or...not necessary?
    >
We filed separate returns Arnaldo's first time, and as far as I know, it had no
negative impact on his AOS. I mean, really...the returns will have the SAME ADDRESS
on them, and the marital status will be noted, won't it?

Alvena

Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
gleaned from the previous postings of others, and posted for the purpose of
discussion only. If your case is complicated, then you may need an immigration
attorney. Locate an immigration attorney in your area at: http://www.aila.org
=========================================

Old Jun 2nd 2002, 8:20 am
Im

Hello, We had some problems when we went to our AOS because we had filed married but
separate returns as our tax preparer advised us. The tax service told us we would get
more money back and we would receive it a lot faster. The officer turned very serious
when we mentioned that. We had to explain why we did that and he wanted both
"original" copies of our returns and kept them too. He said the worst thing we could
have done would have been to file separate and one of us "head of household". The
officer also said that 99 out of 100 cases you get more return filing joint and
married anyway. So my suggestion is to file joint at least till you have your 10 year
green card. That was the DAOs advise also. Isa

Alvena Ferreira schrieb:
    > Dan wrote:
    >
    >>I have a question about AOS Interview... She works...and I work both... I found
    >>that many couples prepared the joint tax returns for the evidence of marriage. (and
    >>also same bank account, bill....insurance...and so on) For our couple, It takes
    >>more tax than separate tax returns if we report joint tax return... but still do we
    >>need joint tax return for interview? No one likes to pay more tax...which do I
    >>choose to? Joint tax returns is the indispensable condition? or...not necessary?
    >>
    >
    > We filed separate returns Arnaldo's first time, and as far as I know, it had no
    > negative impact on his AOS. I mean, really...the returns will have the SAME ADDRESS
    > on them, and the marital status will be noted, won't it?
    >
    > Alvena

> Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
    > =========================================
    > I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
    > gleaned from the previous postings of others, and posted for the purpose of
    > discussion only. If your case is complicated, then you may need an immigration
    > attorney. Locate an immigration attorney in your area at: http://www.aila.org
    > =========================================

Old Jun 2nd 2002, 4:20 pm
Don H

IM <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... He said the worst thing we
could have done
    > would have been to file separate and one of us "head of household".

I understand that comment. For Federal filing, if one files Married-Separate, the
other must do so, too. Head of Household is a special category for abandoned wifes or
husbands with the kids. By both filing Separate, you end up with half of everything
in the way of deductions. Also, if one itemized deductions, the other must do so,
too. That pretty much wipes out any advantage unless there is a huge difference
between incomes. The first return that hits the IRS database rules on how the other
must file.

State taxes are all over the board, but for the Feds, I'm very surprised that you
haven't received an adjustment notice to change the Head of Household to Separate.
They do have 3 years, though. Good Luck.

-Don

Old Jun 2nd 2002, 6:20 pm
Im

Hello, well, we never filed as Head of household and we never received any
corrections we just filed married with seperate returns, but we re-filed last years
taxes this year. We changed it to married and joint and got even more money back ...
we just whished we had done that from the beginning Isa

Don H schrieb:
    > IM <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>... He said the worst thing we could
    > have done
    >
    >>would have been to file separate and one of us "head of household".
    >
    >
    > I understand that comment. For Federal filing, if one files Married-Separate, the
    > other must do so, too. Head of Household is a special category for abandoned wifes
    > or husbands with the kids. By both filing Separate, you end up with half of
    > everything in the way of deductions. Also, if one itemized deductions, the other
    > must do so, too. That pretty much wipes out any advantage unless there is a huge
    > difference between incomes. The first return that hits the IRS database rules on
    > how the other must file.
    >
    > State taxes are all over the board, but for the Feds, I'm very surprised that you
    > haven't received an adjustment notice to change the Head of Household to Separate.
    > They do have 3 years, though. Good Luck.
    >
    > -Don