Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Do both spouses need to attend DCF interview?

Wikiposts

Do both spouses need to attend DCF interview?

Old Jun 16th 2010, 8:11 am
Just Joined

forestmama is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do both spouses need to attend DCF interview?

I've read the sticky and embassy web sites, but I'm still not clear. I petitioned on behalf of my husband of 11 years for permanent residence via a DCF filing in London. I understand I need to maintain UK residence during the process. But I would like to take our children to the US to get them settled and registered for school for Sep. Do I need to be available to return to the UK at any time for the interview? Or is it just my husband as the immigrant? When we got his green card first time around in the US, we both did the interview to establish validity of relationship etc but that shouldn't be an issue this time, but maybe they need to speak to me to confirm anyway. Thanks!
Old Jun 16th 2010, 8:16 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do both spouses need to attend DCF interview?

Originally Posted by forestmama
I've read the sticky and embassy web sites, but I'm still not clear. I petitioned on behalf of my husband of 11 years for permanent residence via a DCF filing in London. I understand I need to maintain UK residence during the process. But I would like to take our children to the US to get them settled and registered for school for Sep. Do I need to be available to return to the UK at any time for the interview? Or is it just my husband as the immigrant? When we got his green card first time around in the US, we both did the interview to establish validity of relationship etc but that shouldn't be an issue this time, but maybe they need to speak to me to confirm anyway. Thanks!
You (the USC) only needs to stay in the UK until the I-130 has been accepted by London. After that, you can leave the USA. You do not have to maintain UK residence during the whole process.

You are not required to attend his immigrant visa interview. In fact, even if you did attend, you probably would not be allowed to approach the interview window, and would just wait in the waiting area.

So you can go ahead and go to the USA and get life set up there. That actually helps your case, because then the question of your domicile is solved.

Rene
Old Jun 16th 2010, 8:50 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I understand I need to maintain UK residence during the process.
You understand incorrectly.

But I would like to take our children to the US to get them settled and registered for school for Sep.
Have a safe trip.

Do I need to be available to return to the UK at any time for the interview?
No.

Or is it just my husband as the immigrant?
Yes.

Ian
Old Jun 17th 2010, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need your US spouse there, but they can go. In our case, if I'd gone ahead and went with my UK husband to the London Embassy, our 864 issue would have been resolved on the spot. The CO asked if I was there for that reason, but I was back in Scotland.

Not necessary or required for USC to be there, but the USC is not barred from entering the Embassy with you and wait.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomjeito

Not necessary or required for USC to be there, but the USC is not barred from entering the Embassy with you and wait.
You do however have to let the Embassy know that they are attending otherwise they will not get in.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 4:38 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Point of clarification - the visa interview is the visa interview, without regard to where the petition was filed. The term "DCF interview" has meaning only if the USCIS office in London calls you in to discuss your petition prior to approving it and passing it over the wall to the embassy's consular section. (And, in the UK, 'DCF' really isn't. It just 'feels' like it.)

Regards, JEff

I've read the sticky and embassy web sites, but I'm still not clear. I petitioned on behalf of my husband of 11 years for permanent residence via a DCF filing in London.