Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

A divorcing k1-er out of status

A divorcing k1-er out of status

Old Aug 18th 2004, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

anyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really nice
Default A divorcing k1-er out of status

A K1-er I know has just returned to the UK after a failed marriage. She is 3 months out of status, because her hubby never filed for AOS during that time, despite her requests. They are now undergoing divorce proceedings.

My question is two-fold:

Firstly, does she have to file any kind of waiver for her to be able to visit friends over there (vacations etc)

Secondly, she's looking for a divorce lawyer who will be able to provide a 'contingent' service (where he/she gets paid if they win). Her name was added to the deeds of her husband's house. If anyone knows of any lawyer who might be willing to do this service in the state of MI, please let me know and I'll pass the details onto her.

Thanks,

Kath
Old Aug 19th 2004, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Dekka's Angel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A divorcing k1-er out of status

Michigan has the same law that virtually all states now have:

You cannot hire a contingency family lawyer in a divorce/dissolution proceeding. It is seen as putting a lawyer in the position of encouraging divorce in order to ensure his own financial well-being, which is against the public policy of encouraging reconciliation. It is therefore prohibited in most states at this point, although some states carve out an exception for post-divorce matters.

That being said, most family lawyers are used to having clients that need to make monthly payments to pay the retainer, or have sliding scales. There are also non-profit/pro-bono lawyers available if she qualifies for those services.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by anyone4tea
A K1-er I know has just returned to the UK after a failed marriage. She is 3 months out of status, because her hubby never filed for AOS during that time, despite her requests. They are now undergoing divorce proceedings.

My question is two-fold:

Firstly, does she have to file any kind of waiver for her to be able to visit friends over there (vacations etc)

Secondly, she's looking for a divorce lawyer who will be able to provide a 'contingent' service (where he/she gets paid if they win). Her name was added to the deeds of her husband's house. If anyone knows of any lawyer who might be willing to do this service in the state of MI, please let me know and I'll pass the details onto her.

Thanks,

Kath

Last edited by Dekka's Angel; Aug 19th 2004 at 12:44 am.