Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Divorced / remarried - have to change green card?

Wikiposts

Divorced / remarried - have to change green card?

Old Jul 23rd 2008, 2:19 am
Just Joined

boxergal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Divorced / remarried - have to change green card?

I entered the USA on a K1 visa, married and sadly divorced after almost 3 years. I have a permanent resident card. I am about to remarry (US citizen) and will take my new husband's last name. Right now my permanent resident card and passport show my old name.

Am I required to change the name on my permanent resident card? I hate to shell out over $300 if it isn't necessary. Can I travel in and out of the US with my current permanent resident card & passport plus a copy of my new marriage certificate to show the change in name if asked?

Sharon
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 3:23 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Divorced / remarried - have to change green card?

Originally Posted by boxergal
I entered the USA on a K1 visa, married and sadly divorced after almost 3 years. I have a permanent resident card. I am about to remarry (US citizen) and will take my new husband's last name. Right now my permanent resident card and passport show my old name.

Am I required to change the name on my permanent resident card? I hate to shell out over $300 if it isn't necessary. Can I travel in and out of the US with my current permanent resident card & passport plus a copy of my new marriage certificate to show the change in name if asked?

Sharon
Do you have a 2-year green card, or the 10-year one?

Rene
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 5:02 am
Just Joined

boxergal is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the 10 year card.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 5:14 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boxergal
I have the 10 year card.
I don't think you are required to change your name on your green card. If you ever apply for US Citizenship, you can make the application in your new married name. If you want, you can change your passport to your new married name so that you can buy airline tickets in that name.

If you ever travel internationally, your airline ticket must match whatever your passport name is.

Rene