Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Divorce Decree Question

Divorce Decree Question

Old Sep 8th 2002, 1:58 pm
Radwhacker

Default Divorce Decree Question

I've been married twice. Do I need to include divorce decrees for both marriages in
the K-1 package - or is the logical assumption made by the INS that I wouldn't have
been given a marrige license for my second marriage if I wasn't legally divorced from
my first wife?

Thanks, Doug

Old Sep 8th 2002, 2:02 pm
Mona Lisa

Default Re: Divorce Decree Question

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
(RadWhacker) wrote:

> I've been married twice. Do I need to include divorce decrees for both marriages in
    > the K-1 package - or is the logical assumption made by the INS that I wouldn't have
    > been given a marrige license for my second marriage if I wasn't legally divorced
    > from my first wife?
send photocopies of each of them, in order to prove dissolution of all previous
marriages.
--
Mona

Old Sep 8th 2002, 2:50 pm
Radwhacker

Mona,

Thanks for the response; however, I have another question. I do not have a copy of
my first decree, which was given over 15 years ago. My research indicates California
only issues replacement copies for divorces 10 years old or less. Should I attached
a notarized statement in lieu of the decree?

Thanks, Doug

Old Sep 8th 2002, 9:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Radwhacker:
Mona,

Thanks for the response; however, I have another question. I do not have a copy of
my first decree, which was given over 15 years ago. My research indicates California
only issues replacement copies for divorces 10 years old or less. Should I attached
a notarized statement in lieu of the decree?

Thanks, Doug
You need to include all divorce decrees regardless of how long ago it was. For example, Jim's first marriage ended 19 years before his second marriage ended and he still was required to show it.

I would assume that any official document from the court in California that issued the original decree attesting to your divorce should be sufficient for INS.

Rete
Old Sep 9th 2002, 6:12 pm
Mrtravel

RadWhacker wrote:
    > I've been married twice. Do I need to include divorce decrees for both marriages in
    > the K-1 package - or is the logical assumption made by the INS that I wouldn't have
    > been given a marrige license for my second marriage if I wasn't legally divorced
    > from my first wife?
    > Thanks, Doug

ALl marriages.... Government stupidity.

If you lie, and tell them you were never married, you don't have to show proof. Be
honest and admit you were married and they demand proof of divorce. So, if are admit
to it, they demand you prove your honesty.

Old Sep 9th 2002, 6:13 pm
Mrtravel

RadWhacker wrote:
    > Mona,
    > Thanks for the response; however, I have another question. I do not have a copy of
    > my first decree, which was given over 15 years ago. My research indicates
    > California only issues replacement copies for divorces 10 years old or less.
    > Should I attached a notarized statement in lieu of the decree?
    > Thanks, Doug

I suspect the state might not have a record, but the court it was filed in should
have one. Or ... the attorney might