Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

divorce after entering as k3 - what to do?

Wikiposts

divorce after entering as k3 - what to do?

Old Aug 14th 2002, 5:07 pm
Iona

Default divorce after entering as k3 - what to do?

Well, after the long painful wait for my K3 papers, quitting my job, leaving my
country and starting a new career in the US - it looks as though absence did not make
the heart grow fonder. My US husband and I are now discussing divorce I am a Canadian
engineer - if I were not married to a US citizen, I would normally be eligible for a
non-immigrant work visa under NAFTA that could be renewed every ~ 2 years. I really
am liking my current job and current location. Is there any way to change my visa
status? Do I have to wait for divorce to finalize?

It is so bitterly ironic. If I hadn't gotten married, I probably could have been
with my partner in the US much sooner. Being forced to remain separated for so many
months just ripped things apart.

Anyways, what to do now?

Old Aug 14th 2002, 9:01 pm
Mrtravel@

Default Re: divorce after entering as k3 - what to do?

iona wrote:
    > Well, after the long painful wait for my K3 papers, quitting my job, leaving my
    > country and starting a new career in the US - it looks as though absence did not
    > make the heart grow fonder. My US husband and I are now discussing divorce I am a
    > Canadian engineer - if I were not married to a US citizen, I would normally be
    > eligible for a non-immigrant work visa under NAFTA that could be renewed every ~ 2
    > years. I really am liking my current job and current location. Is there any way to
    > change my visa status? Do I have to wait for divorce to finalize?
    > It is so bitterly ironic. If I hadn't gotten married, I probably could have been
    > with my partner in the US much sooner. Being forced to remain separated for so
    > many months just ripped things apart.

So, now that you are together, you want to get divorced. I don't see how getting to
the US on the K-3 a few months earlier would have stopped you from needing a
divorce now.

In any case, you can not remain in the US on the K-3 after the divorce, since you do
not have an immigrant visa. Does your job qualify for H1B?

Old Aug 16th 2002, 12:20 pm
Iona

Default Re: divorce after entering as k3 - what to do?

I am pretty sure that I qualify for an H1B. I just don't know if the divorce has to
be finalized before I apply for a work related non-immigrant visa.

I don't want to divorce. I didn't go through all of this for it to end. But, I am
only half of this story.

"mrtravel@" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > iona wrote:
    > >
    > > Well, after the long painful wait for my K3 papers, quitting my job, leaving my
    > > country and starting a new career in the US - it looks as though absence did not
    > > make the heart grow fonder. My US husband and I are now discussing divorce I am a
    > > Canadian engineer - if I were not married to a US citizen, I would normally be
    > > eligible for a non-immigrant work visa under NAFTA that could be renewed every ~
    > > 2 years. I really am liking my current job and current location. Is there any way
    > > to change my visa status? Do I have to wait for divorce to finalize?
    > >
    > > It is so bitterly ironic. If I hadn't gotten married, I probably could have been
    > > with my partner in the US much sooner. Being forced to remain separated for so
    > > many months just ripped things apart.
    > So, now that you are together, you want to get divorced. I don't see how getting to
    > the US on the K-3 a few months earlier would have stopped you from needing a
    > divorce now.
    > In any case, you can not remain in the US on the K-3 after the divorce, since you
    > do not have an immigrant visa. Does your job qualify for H1B?