Wikiposts

Direct Consular Filing

Old Dec 7th 2003, 12:19 am
Charlie Tuna

CharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Direct Consular Filing

It isn't exactly that simple to DCF in the UK.
Basically the USC receives a visa to enter the UK. If married, they can then obtain (in person applications receive temp. residence the same day) a visa granting temporary residence to the USC. The USC must have temporary residence to go the DCF route, and I'm under the impression that can only be obtained once you are (or appear to be) living in the UK.

Originally posted by CaliforniaBride
Just had a look at Haldaman. Thanks for the pointer.
It appears that his US spouse obtained a visa for the UK, flew there with him and filed directly. Then she returned to the US.
Humpf! Wish I had known about this.
Is it really that simple?
CB
Old Dec 7th 2003, 9:24 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Bill Hutson
I am most interested in your "residence permit". Waiting a year for
my princess is atrocious.
Bill, is this the princess to whom you're not sure you're engaged?

As to residence permits in Greece, I think you'll find them as difficult for her to get there as the US. First, I got mine via marriage to an EU citizen, which cuts a lot of the hassle. Second, "Russians" (a blanket term used by the Greeks for any FSU citz) are plentiful in Greece. They normally come in illegally and either work under the table or take their chances to stay under the radar and work menial jobs for crap wages (which I understand are still up to 3X higher than what they could earn at home). Sometimes they find a way to get their residence/work permit papers, often by bribes.

As a USC, I was able to enter Greece as a tourist and change my status. I don't believe a Russian would have the same lattitude for entry. (Aside, Greece is a sought-after point of entry to the EU). Additionally, because I believed what I read rather than calling the Consulate and speaking frankly with them, I never needed the residency permit to do the DCF. Athens will do it if *either* party is legally resident in Greece. EU citz note: you are allowed to enter Greece for 3 months but if you are going to remain you must get your AP from the local police station for a cost of .30euro and 4 photos. Contrary to popular belief, the EU thing doesn't give you totally free right to roam and stay.

Back to you, Bill, you can browse the Greek Consulate website, but I think you'll find there are few countries where Russian citz can enter visa-free. If you find one she can go to easily, you may be on the right track. Just remember: you *must* be married to DCF and I recommend marrying for love
mo
PS: I'll leave the topic of "Greek wisdom" esp. as relates to the government to some other time...like never?
Old Dec 8th 2003, 9:31 pm
Bill Hutson

> Back to you, Bill, you can browse the Greek Consulate website, but I
    > think you'll find there are few countries where Russian citz can enter
    > visa-free. If you find one she can go to easily, you may be on the right
    > track. Just remember: you *must* be married to DCF and I recommend
    > marrying for love
Thank you for replying; I know there are a number of countries
Russians can visit easily: Turkey, Malta, Cyprus, Egypt, Coaiata,
Cuba, etc. But the issue is, which one would marry us if BOTH the US
citizen and the Russian are just visitors? Further, which country
would have a cooperative US Embassy which would do a DCF under such
circumstances? I would be willing to pay anyone, an attorney, whoever
could answer that question. For example, Jamaica will marry us, both
as visitors, but all Carribean Embassies refuse to DCF.(For visitors)
Since Bermuda is in the Atlantic, do you think they might meet both
requirements? Marry and DCF visitors?

Old Dec 9th 2003, 2:08 am
King of the Mountain

berga is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually you don't need a recidency i Sweden.
They (staff at the USEMB) actually asked me to buy a plane ticket for mybetter half to get over there for DCF when I was in the K3 process,
Wish we would have done it,
/D

But of course check with the consulate. Sweden appears to have a
residence requirement:

http://www.usis.usemb.se/Consulate/iv2.html

"I-130 petitions must be filed at an United States Citizenship and
Immigration Services (USCIS) (USCIS) office in the United States or, if
the petitioner and beneficiary reside in Sweden, at the American Embassy
in Stockholm"

but they do not define what 'reside' means [/QUOTE]
Old Dec 9th 2003, 12:07 pm
L D Jones

Bill Hutson wrote:
    >
    > > Back to you, Bill, you can browse the Greek Consulate website, but I
    > > think you'll find there are few countries where Russian citz can enter
    > > visa-free. If you find one she can go to easily, you may be on the right
    > > track. Just remember: you *must* be married to DCF and I recommend
    > > marrying for love
    > Thank you for replying; I know there are a number of countries
    > Russians can visit easily: Turkey, Malta, Cyprus, Egypt, Coaiata,
    > Cuba, etc. But the issue is, which one would marry us if BOTH the US
    > citizen and the Russian are just visitors? Further, which country
    > would have a cooperative US Embassy which would do a DCF under such
    > circumstances? I would be willing to pay anyone, an attorney, whoever

I'm no expert but my guess is that no US consulate would accept a
petition filed directly if neither person is a citizen or permanent
resident of the country. Direct filing is at the discretion of the
consulate and they can stop doing it at any time. I don't see the
incentive for them to do it for non-residents. If there was such a
consulate I imagine they would be besieged with requests and would stop
accepting them due to workload in short order

> could answer that question. For example, Jamaica will marry us, both
    > as visitors, but all Carribean Embassies refuse to DCF.(For visitors)
    > Since Bermuda is in the Atlantic, do you think they might meet both
    > requirements? Marry and DCF visitors?

There is a US consul general in Bermuda but not a 'full' consulate as
far as I know. My guess is that they do not do DCF but contact them
yourself, I don't know for sure

Old Dec 9th 2003, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

alex_lg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello All,

Am I missing something? Does DCF really save that much time to gather so much excitement here?

I have a freind who filed I-130 with CSC. When CSC approved it, they forwarded the case to the Embassy in the Phillipines and the bride was interviewed and issued an immigrant visa shortly after. That whole process took 9 months and totally by the book. I can't image any other place on earth takes longer than in the Philipines!

My impression is that AOS is the real time sucker. Once it is avoided, then every other route is about the same.

Alex
Old Dec 9th 2003, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

alex_lg is an unknown quantity at this point

It looks like I'm missing something. Just read some of you doing DCF can get a visa in a month. Well my wife is in Canada. So we are out of luck anyway, damn!
Old Dec 10th 2003, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it does save time money and hassle after you are here. CPr first day in the states, no waiting for employment auth, money saving are offset by cost of travel to other country possibly. No need for AP.

Originally posted by alex_lg
Hello All,

Am I missing something? Does DCF really save that much time to gather so much excitement here?

I have a freind who filed I-130 with CSC. When CSC approved it, they forwarded the case to the Embassy in the Phillipines and the bride was interviewed and issued an immigrant visa shortly after. That whole process took 9 months and totally by the book. I can't image any other place on earth takes longer than in the Philipines!

My impression is that AOS is the real time sucker. Once it is avoided, then every other route is about the same.

Alex
Old Dec 10th 2003, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

violator_dm will become famous soon enoughviolator_dm will become famous soon enough

If your other half is Russian, you could be able to do the DCF in Moscow. That is if you are a RESIDENT of Russia (e.g. working there). I do not know of any exceptions. Mind you, because we're Russians, we're treated differently and our processing times lengthen greately due to "name checks" and other non-friendly beurocratic bs. Go for it. DCF is still quicker.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 10:19 pm
Charlie Tuna

CharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of light

DCF is certainly quicker, no question about it.
I haven't seen any cases that have made it through in only 1 month though, the average seems to be nearer 3; yet still a heck of a lot better than 9 months.

Originally posted by alex_lg
It looks like I'm missing something. Just read some of you doing DCF can get a visa in a month. Well my wife is in Canada. So we are out of luck anyway, damn!
Old Dec 11th 2003, 6:58 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by CharlieS
DCF is certainly quicker, no question about it.
I haven't seen any cases that have made it through in only 1 month though, the average seems to be nearer 3; yet still a heck of a lot better than 9 months.
er, does 33 days count? (that was ours)
The Dutch ones used to be that quick, but I haven't seen any lately. Many DCFers don't show up on the NG.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 7:00 am
Charlie Tuna

Holy cow!!!
I'm so glad we went the K1 route and not DCF.....9 months is a walk in the park...<crying now>

Originally posted by meauxna
er, does 33 days count? (that was ours)
The Dutch ones used to be that quick, but I haven't seen any lately. Many DCFers don't show up on the NG.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 3:40 pm
L D Jones

alex_lg wrote:
    >
    > Hello All,
    >
    > Am I missing something? Does DCF really save that much time to gather
    > so much excitement here?

Yes (though I wouldn't call it exciting). I recall one case (in Asia?)
where a visa was issued via "DCF" is less than 2 weeks

Old Dec 12th 2003, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

Befroe Colombia stopped DCF on july ! this year three 2weeks was common.

Originally posted by L D Jones
alex_lg wrote:
    >
    > Hello All,
    >
    > Am I missing something? Does DCF really save that much time to gather
    > so much excitement here?

Yes (though I wouldn't call it exciting). I recall one case (in Asia?)
where a visa was issued via "DCF" is less than 2 weeks