Wikiposts

Direct Consular Filing

Old Dec 4th 2003, 7:35 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Direct Consular Filing

Ok I've done the search and found plenty of references to it, but no real explanations of what it is.

Anyone?
Old Dec 4th 2003, 7:45 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Direct Consular Filing

Originally posted by CaliforniaBride
Ok I've done the search and found plenty of references to it, but no real explanations of what it is.

Anyone?
http://k1.exit.com/dcf.html
Old Dec 4th 2003, 7:48 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone?

If you are asking because you wish to do it, then I'm sorry to say that you are not eligible to do DCF (a layman's term by the way) as the US Citizen must have legal right to remain in the UK in order to qualify.

Simply, DCF direct consular filing is when the US Consulate allows the US Citizen to file the I-130 directly with them. They in turn will process the petition at the US Consulate. The foreign spouse will have to go through much the same as a K-1 or K-3 beneficiary, ie medical, police clearance, etc. and the USC will have to complete an affidavit of support and if not qualified to sponsor financially obtain a co-sponsor to assume that responsibility for the foreign spouse. The foreign spouse is then issued an appointment for an interview and if they are approved they have the right, within a certain timeframe, to enter the US as a permanent resident. This method circumvents the need to adjust status in the US with the long and tedious timelines involved. There is no need for employment authorization or advance parole (although a re-entry permit is necessary if they, as a PR, leave and remain outside of the US for 12 months or more).

DCF is not available in all countries and where available are only available if the criteria imposed by the particular US Consulate is met. For example, it is not available in Canada. The UK allows it only if the USC has right to remain issued by the government. Sweden, Holland and some other countries will allow it regardless of the US Citizen's status within the country. They need only be present for the initial filing.

Rete
Old Dec 4th 2003, 7:55 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by meauxna
http://k1.exit.com/dcf.html
Thanks.

As I read it, in my case hubby could only have done DCF if he resided in UK.

Is that it?

CB
Old Dec 4th 2003, 8:03 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

Thanks.

I was just wondering really. I think I'm going for information overload!

Originally posted by Rete
If you are asking because you wish to do it, then I'm sorry to say that you are not eligible to do DCF (a layman's term by the way) as the US Citizen must have legal right to remain in the UK in order to qualify.

Simply, DCF direct consular filing is when the US Consulate allows the US Citizen to file the I-130 directly with them. They in turn will process the petition at the US Consulate. The foreign spouse will have to go through much the same as a K-1 or K-3 beneficiary, ie medical, police clearance, etc. and the USC will have to complete an affidavit of support and if not qualified to sponsor financially obtain a co-sponsor to assume that responsibility for the foreign spouse. The foreign spouse is then issued an appointment for an interview and if they are approved they have the right, within a certain timeframe, to enter the US as a permanent resident. This method circumvents the need to adjust status in the US with the long and tedious timelines involved. There is no need for employment authorization or advance parole (although a re-entry permit is necessary if they, as a PR, leave and remain outside of the US for 12 months or more).

DCF is not available in all countries and where available are only available if the criteria imposed by the particular US Consulate is met. For example, it is not available in Canada. The UK allows it only if the USC has right to remain issued by the government. Sweden, Holland and some other countries will allow it regardless of the US Citizen's status within the country. They need only be present for the initial filing.

Rete
Old Dec 4th 2003, 8:14 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

As I read it, in my case hubby could only have done DCF if he resided in UK.

Is that it?

CB
That's it
Looking at your timeline, if you ever wanted to look up user Haldaman (think he just had his interview this week) you would see an example of someone who found another way to accomplish UK DCF. Since you don't have a problem being here on VWP waiting for your interview, it's probably even odds to you, except that you may still have to adjust status. Remember that if your I-130 matures before/near your K3, you'll have the option of interveiwing for that, with the same 'result' as a DCF (but slower).

Like many things, it all comes down to time and money. Usually you have more of one than the other & that charts your course.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 8:19 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rete

For example, it is not available in Canada.
Rete
Hi Rete:

Very well put. The only thing that I will add is that you stated the FACTS about I-130 processing in Canada. The LAW, as expressed in BINDING regulations, is that the Consulates [at least Montreal] are REQUIRED to take the I-130's if the petitioner is residing in Canada.

Of course, some people think that inconvenient FACTS should not get in the way of "binding law" and people should know the "law." I happen to think that the "facts on the ground" are just as important. Perhaps that is just me.

Old Dec 4th 2003, 8:28 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
Hi Rete:

Very well put. The only thing that I will add is that you stated the FACTS about I-130 processing in Canada. The LAW, as expressed in BINDING regulations, is that the Consulates [at least Montreal] are REQUIRED to take the I-130's if the petitioner is residing in Canada.

Of course, some people think that inconvenient FACTS should not get in the way of "binding law" and people should know the "law." I happen to think that the "facts on the ground" are just as important. Perhaps that is just me.

Binding is it. Can we send them a carton of Ex-lax to unbind them so that fact and law have equal status?
Old Dec 4th 2003, 8:30 am

Hi Rete:

Veeeery interesting. It just put me in mind of some work colleagues who migrated from Canada to the US. All resident in Canada (the USC was a dualie from birth). They never did no stinkin' K3, but this is going back a few years now. The facinating part is that they weaseled out of the Consular interview, IIRC. Of course, this was all before I was interested in the process, so I didn't pay much attention to the details. I sometimes wonder now how they accomplished their move.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 8:37 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

Just had a look at Haldaman. Thanks for the pointer.

It appears that his US spouse obtained a visa for the UK, flew there with him and filed directly. Then she returned to the US.

Humpf! Wish I had known about this.

Is it really that simple?

CB

That's it
Looking at your timeline, if you ever wanted to look up user Haldaman (think he just had his interview this week) you would see an example of someone who found another way to accomplish UK DCF. Since you don't have a problem being here on VWP waiting for your interview, it's probably even odds to you, except that you may still have to adjust status. Remember that if your I-130 matures before/near your K3, you'll have the option of interveiwing for that, with the same 'result' as a DCF (but slower).

Like many things, it all comes down to time and money. Usually you have more of one than the other & that charts your course.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 1:06 pm
L D Jones

Rete wrote:
    >
    > Originally posted by CaliforniaBride
    >
    > > Ok I've done the search and found plenty of references to it, but no
    > > real explanations of what it is.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Anyone?
    >
    > If you are asking because you wish to do it, then I'm sorry to say that
    > you are not eligible to do DCF (a layman's term by the way) as the US
    > Citizen must have legal right to remain in the UK in order to qualify.
    >
    > Simply, DCF direct consular filing is when the US Consulate allows the
    > US Citizen to file the I-130 directly with them. They in turn will
[...]
    > DCF is not available in all countries and where available are only
    > available if the criteria imposed by the particular US Consulate is
    > met. For example, it is not available in Canada. The UK allows it
    > only if the USC has right to remain issued by the government. Sweden,
    > Holland and some other countries will allow it regardless of the US
    > Citizen's status within the country. They need only be present for the
    > initial filing.

But of course check with the consulate. Sweden appears to have a
residence requirement:

http://www.usis.usemb.se/Consulate/iv2.html

"I-130 petitions must be filed at an United States Citizenship and
Immigration Services (USCIS) (USCIS) office in the United States or, if
the petitioner and beneficiary reside in Sweden, at the American Embassy
in Stockholm"

but they do not define what 'reside' means

Old Dec 4th 2003, 1:51 pm

Originally posted by L D Jones
<snip>
the petitioner and beneficiary reside in Sweden, at the American Embassy in Stockholm"

but they do not define what 'reside' means
As usual. Ask me about my $500 Greek residence permit that no one ever looked at.

Greece is specifically *excluded* in the 9FAM, but they adjucated our I-130 there anyway. It's just that the then INS did it and handed it over the counter to the Consular staff.

If anyone, anywhere at any time is considering DCF/Direct Consular Filing, they are officially a fool in my book if they make plans without communicating with the Consulate's IV unit first. When I read my own early posts, I'm amazed at how long I spent trying to get 'around' the system when all I had to do was call the Consulate and ask.

Howya doing these days anyway, L D?
Old Dec 4th 2003, 2:42 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

As usual. Ask me about my $500 Greek residence permit that no one ever looked at.

Greece is specifically *excluded* in the 9FAM, but they adjucated our I-130 there anyway. It's just that the then INS did it and handed it over the counter to the Consular staff.

If anyone, anywhere at any time is considering DCF/Direct Consular Filing, they are officially a fool in my book if they make plans without communicating with the Consulate's IV unit first. When I read my own early posts, I'm amazed at how long I spent trying to get 'around' the system when all I had to do was call the Consulate and ask.

Howya doing these days anyway, L D?
Hi:

You did not, by defintion, do "consular filing" -- you did at the nearest INS office, which happened to be in the same building.
Old Dec 5th 2003, 5:45 am

Hi:

You did not, by defintion, do "consular filing" -- you did at the nearest INS office, which happened to be in the same building.
That is correct. We felt fortunate, because my reading led me to believe that the i-130 was going to have to go to Rome for processing. Can you imagine the nightmare? A petition disappearing into the Mediterranean soup of efficiency....

I believe the most important part is the result. From filing to visa-in-hand was 33 days and even more important (more than 'the most important'?) is that my DAH *loves* living in the US. I was concerned about him giving up his Greek island after he'd broken free from the UK.
Same beach bum, different beach.
Old Dec 6th 2003, 9:22 pm
Bill Hutson

meauxna
As usual. Ask me about my $500 Greek residence permit that no one
ever
    > looked at.
Hi;
I am most interested in your "residence permit". Waiting a year for
my princess is atrocious. If you as a US citizen can "reside" in
Greece, do you think my lady friend-a Russian- could also qualify for
this selfsame permit? Then, if we both are "residents" of Greece, we
could DCF and be back in Hawaii before my alzheimers sets in...

Please advise how to contact the proper authorities in Greece if
you think this is a viable method. If some country in the world (where
the consulate will do a DCF) has the wisdom to accept this process,
they would need baskets to cart off the foreign exchange that would
flow into their country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.