Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

in dilemma, joint I-751 approved after divorce

in dilemma, joint I-751 approved after divorce

Old Sep 21st 2009, 11:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: in dilemma, joint I-751 approved after divorce

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

An answer can be right, wrong, or who the hell knows? No matter who gives it. Even attorneys have to go "oops" from time to time.

The OP has gotten the wrong information numerous times. Repetition does not correct a wrong answer.

OP may never have a problem later on. Or then he may.
Forget about it

Last edited by Rete; Sep 22nd 2009 at 12:13 am.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

lostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond repute

I concur, the statements are amibigious. Maybe again a grey area of law whose outcome depends on luck. May or may not happen kind of scenario. But if it was me, I would not take that risk.
Many times lawyers lose valuable clients because of such barren equivocal statements. Maybe clients just want to hear what they desire!
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 3:41 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Right.

Can we please move on from the thread-jack and stick to the original topic?
thanks.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 5:24 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Back to the original poster.... how does the USC feel about all this?
S/he is within their rights to write USCIS and state the circumstances, and this may bring scrutiny to the case immediately, or down the road at renewal time or if the OP applies for citizenship.

Remember that it takes two to tango up to this point.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

lostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Back to the original poster.... how does the USC feel about all this?
S/he is within their rights to write USCIS and state the circumstances, and this may bring scrutiny to the case immediately, or down the road at renewal time or if the OP applies for citizenship.

Remember that it takes two to tango up to this point.
Snow:

Its in her best interest to inform the USCIS and then refile a waiver. Thats the best cushion for her green card. Any future acrimonious complaint/letter by the scorned spouse explaining the events of the divorce may trigger a sudden termination of the benefit. I see these as actions of jealousy, hurt and vendetta.
The original poster Haley has not been around for almost a month. I request the moderators to shut this thread as its opened to unsavory ranting and foolish bantering as usual, and that's no help to the original poster or anyone.

Last edited by lostlove; Sep 22nd 2009 at 6:11 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 8:47 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lostlove
Snow:
Its in her best interest to inform the USCIS and then refile a waiver. Thats the best cushion for her green card. Any future acrimonious complaint/letter by the scorned spouse explaining the events of the divorce may trigger a sudden termination of the benefit. I see these as actions of jealousy, hurt and vendetta.
LL,

A bit judgmental - if it was the OP who caused the marital breakup, then would it still be an act of vendetta - or of self-preservation?

I agree with the act of refiling.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

Haley-751 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lostlove, U made me sad .............. why should my thread be closed? I still keep my ears up. Its just because theres nothing new beside what was discussed on the first few days of the post, I have not raised my voice.

Dont worry, I still get every email notifying me that there is somebody replying my thread.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Haley-751
I still get every email notifying me that there is somebody replying my thread.
Wow! Email updates that work... now there's a concept USCIS should consider!

Ian
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 10:04 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

H,

"nothing new" sounds like a pretty good reason for closing the thread to me.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Haley-751
why should my thread be closed? ..... Its just because theres nothing new beside what was discussed on the first few days of the post ......
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 11:05 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1234
i dont think this thread should be closed down just because OP hasn't been around for a month. this is a discussion forum wherein a discussion takes place, with or without original author, as it about the situation in hand than whether author is present or not. discussing an important immigration matter as such is beneficial to so many members, who might end up in a similar situation, with or without original author to be present. having opinions from both sides is vital and the important to any public and open discussion forum such as this; otherwise the legitimacy and purpose of a forum will greatly be undermined and would question its accuracy and purpose.
Hi 1234,
When it comes to the undermining of the group’s accuracy, I suppose it would not be that hard to imagine a day when the law changes. Then someone finds an old archived thread and relies on that legal advice to their detriment. Sure, it might not happen or might not happen that often, but it certainly could and is one drawback of posts being archived forever. And please note that I’m referring to archived postings containing legal advice “in general”, not really this thread in particular.

In before the lock :-).
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 11:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matthew Udall
In before the lock :-).

I can see no reason why this thread should be closed. A discussion occurs when two or more people interact on a particular topic/subject matter.

The issue here is a very serious one and one that needs a definitive answer and should not become a thread where inuendos or dislikes undermine the nature of the discussion.

The forum has enjoyed a long period devoid of distraction caused by personal agendas. It is hoped that this can once more be achieved and that all can benefit from the discussions between newbies, middle-agers, oldies, or professional(s) when they wish to reply to a question with a direct answer. For example, Jonathan is a much welcomed member of the forums with a concise and informative manner when addressing questions.

If the poster 1234 has an issue with this thread or any thread, they need only press the report button and a joint administrative response will be forthcoming.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 11:32 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete

The issue here is a very serious one and one that needs a definitive answer
Hi:

Of course, there is often no "definitive" answer.

Also, one should remember that Murphys Law, the Finagle Corollary, and Hanlon's Razor are all it work in the administration of the immigration laws.

Also, I think that Joseph Heller's work should always be kept in mind.

Old Sep 23rd 2009, 9:24 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedoc...ion_3apr09.pdf

Regards, JEff

within the last few months, CIS has come around to the idea that one CAN convert a joint I-751 to a waiver while the application is pending.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 1:10 pm
Concierge

Hi:

Of course, there is often no "definitive" answer.

Also, one should remember that Murphys Law, the Finagle Corollary, and Hanlon's Razor are all it work in the administration of the immigration laws.

Also, I think that Joseph Heller's work should always be kept in mind.

And on this issue there is a definitive answer. Regardless of your thoughts that a cliche or a mention of a fiction writer's name is an answer, it is not.

The USCIS is quite clear on what one needs to do if one files a joint waiver for removal of conditions and a divorce occurs before the final adjudication of said petition.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 1:47 pm

Agreed that CIS has a clear policy, but the current policy is a recent change from past policy and as a practical matter it often takes some time to get all of the thousands of people who have a role in implementing the policy fully on board.

Applies to all organizations and all policies.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Rete
The USCIS is quite clear on what one needs to do if one files a joint waiver for removal of conditions and a divorce occurs before the final adjudication of said petition.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.