Dilemma

Old Sep 10th 2002, 12:04 pm
Mike

Default Dilemma

Hi Everyone:

In 1998, I made the grave mistake of marrying a foreign woman. Six months after the
marriage which was also 30 days after I petitioned her for a Green crad she filed for
divorce and disappeared.

Now its 4 years later and I still cannot get the status of that petition from the INS
because of the Privacy Law!!

That is were I need your help, is there anyway I can get the status of that petition,
at least to know if I am still sponsoring someone out there or not.

Thanks to you all (:

Please email your responses to [email protected]

Old Sep 10th 2002, 2:54 pm
Joachim Feise

Default Re: Dilemma

Mike wrote:
    > Hi Everyone:
    > In 1998, I made the grave mistake of marrying a foreign woman. Six months after the
    > marriage which was also 30 days after I petitioned her for a Green crad she filed
    > for divorce and disappeared.
    > Now its 4 years later and I still cannot get the status of that petition from the
    > INS because of the Privacy Law!!
    > That is were I need your help, is there anyway I can get the status of that
    > petition, at least to know if I am still sponsoring someone out there or not.

Why after 4 years? You could have withdrawn the application right away. And the INS
receipt notice even gave you the case number and even tells you what number to call
for the case status. I don't know, but your privacy law excuse doesn't hold much
water in my view. Something smells fishy.

Old Sep 11th 2002, 3:07 am
Mike

Joachim Feise <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Mike wrote:
    > > Hi Everyone:
    > >
    > > In 1998, I made the grave mistake of marrying a foreign woman. Six months after
    > > the marriage which was also 30 days after I petitioned her for a Green crad she
    > > filed for divorce and disappeared.
    > >
    > > Now its 4 years later and I still cannot get the status of that petition from the
    > > INS because of the Privacy Law!!
    > >
    > > That is were I need your help, is there anyway I can get the status of that
    > > petition, at least to know if I am still sponsoring someone out there or not.
    > Why after 4 years? You could have withdrawn the application right away. And the INS
    > receipt notice even gave you the case number and even tells you what number to call
    > for the case status. I don't know, but your privacy law excuse doesn't hold much
    > water in my view. Something smells fishy.

I have never attempted to withdraw the case since I was told it would be denied if I
do not show up for the interview. Now all I need to find out is the status of the
case to know whether it was denied or not. I am being told that lawyers can do a lot
of tricks and she might have evntually got the GC. Should it have been approved would
this mean that I am still sponsoring that person? How can I get this information?

Old Sep 11th 2002, 1:49 pm
James Donovan

[email protected] (Mike) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > Joachim Feise <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Mike wrote:
    > > > Hi Everyone:
    > > >
    > > > In 1998, I made the grave mistake of marrying a foreign woman. Six months after
    > > > the marriage which was also 30 days after I petitioned her for a Green crad she
    > > > filed for divorce and disappeared.
    > > >
    > > > Now its 4 years later and I still cannot get the status of that petition from
    > > > the INS because of the Privacy Law!!
    > > >
    > > > That is were I need your help, is there anyway I can get the status of that
    > > > petition, at least to know if I am still sponsoring someone out there or not.
    > >
    > > Why after 4 years? You could have withdrawn the application right away. And the
    > > INS receipt notice even gave you the case number and even tells you what number
    > > to call for the case status. I don't know, but your privacy law excuse doesn't
    > > hold much water in my view. Something smells fishy.
    > I have never attempted to withdraw the case since I was told it would be denied if
    > I do not show up for the interview. Now all I need to find out is the status of the
    > case to know whether it was denied or not.

She is denied because she did not show up for the interview, and INS should have
mailed you both the notice for interview AND the denial, or possibly a second notice
and then a denial.

> I am being told that lawyers can do a lot of tricks and she might have evntually
    > got the GC.

She cannot get a GC if she never showed up for an interview with you. IMO, the
biggest tricks that lawyers do is making your wallet thinner.

> Should it have been approved would this mean that I am still sponsoring that
    > person? How can I get this information?

You should call the INS national service center and ask for an update on your case.
You said you tried that already? WHat exactly did they tell you? You need to tell
them exactly what happened...