Dilema

Old Apr 27th 2005, 10:05 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dilema

Originally Posted by denis_1972
Marnee,

You reminded me about another problem I come accross in my situation. My wife doesn't want me to ignore him or just be in a OK relationship with her son. She wants me to be a good father and give him as much love, attention and discipline as she does (even though my way of disciplining him is different than hers and that's where all the problems start). And he doesn't feel abandoned by his father. His father told him that him being with his mother is the best thing at this time (that was 5 years ago when he left) and he believes that. If he would go live with his dad I am sure he will miss his mom. I want to be a good dad not only because my wife wants me too, but because I want to have harmony in our home and a good relationship between us. My stepson doesn't care about my feelings and says and does hurtful things, but my wife wants me to ignore it (because he is only 13!!!) and let it go, but I can't!!! I have been trying to ignore the things he says but it hurts me too much when I let a 13 yo run over me and disrespect me.
Thanks for reading, it makes me feel better when I share how I feel. (if my wife would know she would be very upset, I almost feel like I'm cheating on her).

Dont consider it cheating because your obviously struggling with this & like Marnees post above you may gain some help & find some strength just knowing your not alone with this. Kind of like being caught between a rock & a hard place for you right now. Sending you lots of good wishes.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 1:15 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

She wants me to be a good father...
It's difficult to be a good father to a older child, or indeed a father of any kind if you haven't had any experience!

... and give him as much love, attention and discipline as she does.
Your wife is being totally unrealistic.

My stepson doesn't care about my feelings and says and does hurtful things...
Of course he does, he's 13!

... but my wife wants me to ignore it (because he is only 13!!!) and let it go...
But she also wants you to discipline him, right? Talk about unrealistic! If she's not ready to face reality then perhaps separation is best.

Ian
Old Apr 28th 2005, 8:49 pm
Cool Member

USA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond repute

Marnee,

My wife doesn't want me to ignore him or just be in a OK relationship with her son. She wants me to be a good father and give him as much love, attention and discipline as she does
It sounds like you guys are trying to skip some steps. You have to build a relationship, not just jump into the roles of an advanced one. Respect and trust develop over time and your wife has the benefit of all those years with him that dont. If you two are already at a negative point, then you have to work up to neutral and then build from there.

He is going to test you and try to see how you react to different things. If you want this to work, then you are going to have to practice NOT reacting. Use good communication skills. Be forgiving. Ignore the negative behavior and give positive feedback as much as possible.

It will take time and practice, but it is worth it. Soon he will be out on his own, but he will always be part of your life. Maybe you could find some things for you two to do with 'just the guys'?

Good luck!
Marnee
Old Apr 28th 2005, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Gigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant future

Here's a good support forum for step-parenting.

http://www.steptogether.com/