Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

DHS does read the internet

DHS does read the internet

Old Dec 10th 2007, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DHS does read the internet

Originally Posted by HunterGreen
*pops up from reading them* Sure does.
Ditto! She's a silly girl.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 12:11 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Please find us a conviction where someone who offered free and non-professional advice on an NG to a third party was actually found guilty of conspiracy. To make it easier, I won't even limit you to immigration matters. You have Nexis and Westlaw so you're in a better position to do this research than most here. Off you go! If you don't cite a case here within the next 24 hours, we'll assume you couldn't find it!
Hi:

My WestLaw account is limited to Immigration. If I go outside of it, it costs an arm, a leg, and perhaps my firstborn. That said --

A tax protester distributed advice and was convicted of aid and abetting under 18 USC 2. The name, if memory serves me correct is Causey v. United States. His defense was that there was no proof that anyone actually took his advice and therefore it was not Common Law aiding and abetting. The court of appeals noted that although it was not Common Law aiding and abetting, 18 USC 2(a) described Common Law aiding and abetting, while 18 USC 2(b) was broader than that..
Old Dec 11th 2007, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

trasmus will become famous soon enoughtrasmus will become famous soon enough

Robert Schoch, special agent in charge of ICE investigations in L.A., says it is the first criminal case he is aware of in which people allegedly used the Internet to engineer a sham marriage for a green card.
I guess he hasn't spent any time browsing through internet chat rooms; there are always guys from various 3rd world countries advertising for "greencard wives" there.

Last edited by trasmus; Dec 11th 2007 at 12:56 am.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 12:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by trasmus
I guess he hasn't spent any time browsing through internet chat rooms; there are always guys from various 3 world countries advertising for "greencard wives" there.
Hi:

First of all, it is not uncommon for newspaper articles to not quite get the legal issues right.

Second, the ICE-man did not say it was the first time he was aware of the internet being used. Rather, he said it was the first CRIMINAL PROSECUTION he was aware of.

Which happens to be my point -- although there may not have been criminal prosecutions in the past, there may very well be a first time in the future.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Which happens to be my point -- although there may not have been criminal prosecutions in the past, there may very well be a first time in the future.
I wonder if this case will spark off a nation-wide investigation of other sites similar to Craig's List. I can't imagine that USCIS would possess the man power nor the resources necessary to pull off such a massive operation.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 1:22 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi:

First of all, it is not uncommon for newspaper articles to not quite get the legal issues right.

Second, the ICE-man did not say it was the first time he was aware of the internet being used. Rather, he said it was the first CRIMINAL PROSECUTION he was aware of.

If you were to sit down and worry about all the things you might be prosecuted for, you'd need a shrink. When the government decides to start prosecuting "netarios" or whatever Matt liked to call 'em, then folks should consider whether it's worthwhile posting. Until then, do try and keep some sort of perspective.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 1:24 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I can't imagine that USCIS would possess the man power nor the resources necessary to pull off such a massive operation.
Did you read the Smoking Gun link?
The statement in the case is given by a Special Agent in ICE's 'Cyber Crimes Center" about his activities in 2005. ICE is the enforcement arm of immigration now; they are the 'cops'.
They not only have, they have had the resources to go after people as dumb as the soliciting woman (and the dumb USC who took her up on it).

It's not like you have to google far to find out what the penalties are for a 'green card marriage'.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
Did you read the Smoking Gun link?
No, but I'll check it out.

It's not like you have to google far to find out what the penalties are for a 'green card marriage'.
This is true, but you know what's so outrageous about that? People will know the risks involved, yet take the chance anyway. Either they are extremely desperate, extremely stupid, or both.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 2:15 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Either they are extremely desperate, extremely stupid, or both.
(pssst... you forgot greedy, my suspected culprit!)

Old Dec 11th 2007, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
(pssst... you forgot greedy, my suspected culprit!)

Oops, and greedy! Please forgive my minor oversight.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 8:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fatbrit
If you were to sit down and worry about all the things you might be prosecuted for, you'd need a shrink. When the government decides to start prosecuting "netarios" or whatever Matt liked to call 'em, then folks should consider whether it's worthwhile posting. Until then, do try and keep some sort of perspective.
Hi:

What ever. Why worry about what may happen if future changes are made in enforcement priorities? I'm not all that sure that the OP and her husband in the following string would agree.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...&highlight=DUI

Who would have thought? Why worry?

"TURKEY TROTS TO WATER GG FROM CINCPAC ACTION COM THIRD FLEET INFO COMINCH CTF SEVENTY-SEVEN X WHERE IS RPT WHERE IS TASK FORCE THIRTY FOUR RR THE WORLD WONDERS" Chester Nimitz
Old Dec 11th 2007, 12:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Hi:

What ever. Why worry about what may happen if future changes are made in enforcement priorities? I'm not all that sure that the OP and her husband in the following string would agree.

"TURKEY TROTS TO WATER GG FROM CINCPAC ACTION COM THIRD FLEET INFO COMINCH CTF SEVENTY-SEVEN X WHERE IS RPT WHERE IS TASK FORCE THIRTY FOUR RR THE WORLD WONDERS" Chester Nimitz
Good point.

I'll keep it safe - I'll just wory about everything.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 3:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Does that count when it is the Department of State instead of Homeland Security? Two very separate agencies that do not interact with each other.

Hi:

Old Dec 11th 2007, 3:43 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Hi:

It should be noted that, although the marriage is not recognized for immigration purposes, and if done solely for immigration purposes is a crime -- it IS a "legal" marriage in the sense of that a divorce is needed to marry someone else, common law obligations of support, etc etc.
Just a quick question... do you (or anyone else) know if the US have the same marriage annulment criteria as the UK, and therefore could this marriage be annulled due to non-consummation?

Just thinking that annulling the marriage may prove an interesting twist

Last edited by Trixie_b; Dec 11th 2007 at 3:47 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 4:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
Just a quick question... do you (or anyone else) know if the US have the same marriage annulment criteria as the UK, and therefore could this marriage be annulled due to non-consummation?

Just thinking that annulling the marriage may prove an interesting twist
Too late.

Assuming that they filed in the paperwork and sent it of.

Not sure I agree about ICE's resources, it woud be easy, very easy for ICE to follow thorugh on loads of Undocumented Americans where I am, they have publicly stated they have very limited resources and you have to comit a pretty major crime to come to their attention, and not alwys then.

On the other hand, if you make a meal of it...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.