Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

DH got his visa! A little about how the process worked for us!

DH got his visa! A little about how the process worked for us!

Old May 22nd 2012, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

just_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to all
Default DH got his visa! A little about how the process worked for us!

A big thanks to everyone who offered advice and/or support while we were going through this process! I'm pleased to announce that DH has his visa and will be arriving in the UK on June 29th.

For background info, I returned to the UK with our toddler son last August after 4-5 years in the USA. DH (US citizen) stayed on to finish his degree (graduated last week) and visited regularly.

Here's the timeline of our application:

Mid March - Decide to get serious about submitting application. Start pulling together/ordering documents needed (bank statements etc.)
4 April - DH fills in and submits electronic application. Books first available biometrics appointment after payment/submission
5 April - I send him massive packet of documents/photos from UK
9 April - DH attends biometrics appointment
19 April - DH has finally collated all his documents and mine from the UK. He sends these into the NY processing hub with the biometric "receipt"
4 May - DH receives a spam-looking email titled "unclassified" but turns out that it's from the UKBA and advises him that his visa has been issued and gives UPS tracking number
7 May - Visa arrives, breathe enormous sigh of relief

We included a LOT of supporting documents, in addition to passports, official certs etc. but I'll try to list as many as I can.

From DH: 6 months of payslips, joint tax returns from the last 3 years, joint bank statements and utility bills from the span of our relationship (8+ years), our leases for our last 3 rentals, a selection of photos from the course of our relationship--mostly ones showing family gatherings--and documentation from his university showing he was about to graduate (english language qualification). He also submitted a CV and gave detailed info about what he planned to look for upon arrival.

From me: A supporting letter detailing our life together and another letter explaining how I expected to support us while DH looked for a job as well as a spreadsheet with an estimated monthly budget with DH working and job seeking. I also included payslips and bank statements (though I had to have them certified by the bank as I didn't have the originals...darn paperless!).

From my parents: land registry certificate and mortgage statements, along with letter inviting DH to stay at their house with me and our son for as long as needed.

All in all, it was relatively quick and painless for us...of course we'll still be keeping a close eye on new proposals. Good luck to everyone else going through the process!
Old May 22nd 2012, 12:57 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DH got his visa! A little about how the process worked for us!

Thanks, that's really useful! What is this biometric thing, and where do you have to go for it?

Very best of luck with your move to the UK.
Old May 22nd 2012, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

just_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to all

It'll depend on where you live, as the UKBA use the USCIS application support centres so there should be somewhere nice and local. My DH actually went to Varick Street in NYC, which was the same place I had my biometrics done for my US greencard.
Old May 22nd 2012, 2:54 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh rats.. then I think ours will be in Syracuse which is 130 miles from here.. that's what happens when you live out in the sticks!!