Depressive disorder

Old May 2nd 2018, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

MarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Depressive disorder

Hello,

So i got my medical summary today ready to take to my medical in London at the end of the month, and it says on there that i have a resolved depressive disorder from 2007.

Basically when i was 19/20 years old my mum told me to go to the doctors because i was moody. They did a questionnaire with me, told me to lose weight, and sent me on my way. That was the end of it. I never received any treatment and never went back to the docs about it.

I notice on the pre-medical questionnaire it asks if i have ever suffered from depression. Obviously, i have to answer yes to this, as it states it on my medical summary, but will this cause me issues?

Also, when i filled in the NVC form (I can't remember the name of it - i think it was just a visa application)- it asked if i had any mental illnesses, to which i said no, because... well... i didn't think i had.

I'm just worried that something so trivial from 11 years ago is going to cause issues.
Old May 2nd 2018, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Sean81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Depressive disorder

I'd imagine the word 'resolved' is key here. And if they ask you about it, you just tell them what you told us here.
Old May 2nd 2018, 2:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Resolved or not, my suggestion is that you return to your doctor and have them issue a letter stating the nature of the depression, the treatment given (even though drugs were not prescribed) and that you have not been treated again for this condition since and that you are not at risk to inflict harm upon yourself or others.

I suggest this as it has been asked of others who have had an issue with depression in their past. Better to have such a letter to take with you to the medical than to have to provide it if asked for it after the fact.
Old May 2nd 2018, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

MarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Resolved or not, my suggestion is that you return to your doctor and have them issue a letter stating the nature of the depression, the treatment given (even though drugs were not prescribed) and that you have not been treated again for this condition since and that you are not at risk to inflict harm upon yourself or others.

I suggest this as it has been asked of others who have had an issue with depression in their past. Better to have such a letter to take with you to the medical than to have to provide it if asked for it after the fact.

I'll phone my doctor tomorrow. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Is it one of those "magic phrasing" letters?
Old May 2nd 2018, 6:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about magic language but this thread should be helpful.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/marri...bridge-904191/
Old May 2nd 2018, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Don't know about magic language but this thread should be helpful.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/marri...bridge-904191/
Thank you, that was helpful. My patient summary also has me down as being 5'7" tall which i absolutely am not haha.