Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

DCF through London Embassy in 2019

DCF through London Embassy in 2019

Old Jun 24th 2019, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Acheerfulgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DCF through London Embassy in 2019

Hello everyone! This group has been so helpful so far in this process. Very happy to have stumbled upon it.

We're expecting to hear back about our I-130 petition within the next week or two. We were wondering if anyone who's done a DCF in London in 2019 has any word on how long between hearing about the approval of the I-130 and the next step of the medical and embassy appointment? We're trying to figure out when to put our house on the market. I, the USC, am eligible to apply for ILR and British citizenship in October (will have five years in early November and can apply 30 days before that and will be paying for an expedited same day decision). So, we're in the UK until at least early October which means that it's my UKC husband who's US green card paperwork that we're waiting on for being able to put it on the market.

Thank you so much for any experiences you have that would shed a little light!
Old Jun 25th 2019, 4:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DCF through London Embassy in 2019

Hi and welcome to BE

You don't want to get the green card too soon if you don't want to leave the UK until after you become a British citizen, you have time. It would appear from many who are doing or have recently done DCF in London that it is taking 4 to 8 weeks to hear back with the number that allows you to book your medical. You can postpone things for a while as you need to remember that once your husband has his medical he needs to have his interview and leave the UK within six months of having the medical.

Are you prepared to have your house sold after your move? Or are you okay with the move to the US while the house is still on the market?
Old Jun 26th 2019, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

Winston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

FWIW - in my 2018 journey, I filed the I-130 in mid July, house on the market same week. House sold in mid-late Aug. I-130 approval end Oct, LDN number issued same week, medical on 15 Nov, interview on 3 Dec, house completion on 11 Dec, Port of Entry 14 Dec.

Good luck

W
Old Jun 26th 2019, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

That is good to know! Thank you very much.
Old Jun 26th 2019, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

Hi Rete,
Yes, in theory we are happy move before selling our house. I'm consulting with an immigration solicitor to make sure about my UK citizenship questions. The question was more about timings for putting the house on the market, my husband giving notice at work, etc. It seems like things move more quickly after the I-130 has been approved so we're trying to make sure that we're prepared and timely in the other moving parts we've got in play. Thank you for your help
Old Jun 26th 2019, 1:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Acheerfulgirl View Post
Hi Rete,
Yes, in theory we are happy move before selling our house. I'm consulting with an immigration solicitor to make sure about my UK citizenship questions. The question was more about timings for putting the house on the market, my husband giving notice at work, etc. It seems like things move more quickly after the I-130 has been approved so we're trying to make sure that we're prepared and timely in the other moving parts we've got in play. Thank you for your help
Please check it out with those financial wizards who frequent the USA main forum. There might be sizable tax implications if you sell after you have moved.
Old Jun 26th 2019, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Winston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond repute

Things can move as fast or slow as you like once I-130 approved. As mentioned above, the critical timing is you only have 6 months to enter the US following your medical date. As long as you get everything done within 12 months of I-130 approval, it's pretty flexible.

I shared my timeline to show what can be done at pace with getting the visa and selling the house in parallel.

Last edited by Winston_the_Great_Dane; Jun 26th 2019 at 3:26 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2019, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Winston_the_Great_Dane View Post
Hi,

FWIW - in my 2018 journey, I filed the I-130 in mid July, house on the market same week. House sold in mid-late Aug. I-130 approval end Oct, LDN number issued same week, medical on 15 Nov, interview on 3 Dec, house completion on 11 Dec, Port of Entry 14 Dec.

Good luck

W
Did you set your completion date for your house to be around the time you were planning to leave as a stipulation of sale? Or did that just happen to all work out very, very nicely?
Old Jul 1st 2019, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Acheerfulgirl View Post
Did you set your completion date for your house to be around the time you were planning to leave as a stipulation of sale? Or did that just happen to all work out very, very nicely?
I set the sale process off at the same time as I-130 submission, with the expectation I'd sell the house in no more than 5 months. If the house didnt sell in 2018, I would have slowed the IR-1 process down to match the house progress i.e. taken a while to book the medical etc. However, I was prepared to move and sell remotely if necessary.

Once the house had a firm offer, I set myself the target of moving to the USA before Xmas. On 1st Nov the house conveyance was sufficiently far along for me to book the medical and interview with confidence. I did tell the buyers I wouldn't move before a specific date and they were fine with this. Flights were booked once contracts exchanged.

It's fair to say the last 2 weeks were pretty stressful, with such a tight schedule; however, everything worked exactly as planned 100%

W