Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

DCF question for a friend

Wikiposts

DCF question for a friend

Old Dec 12th 2003, 10:22 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default DCF question for a friend

I believe I know the answer, but I throw out a question from another board:

I am not clear on one thing, if my fiancee is from Romania, and they do not support DCF, I can take her to a 3rd country that does and DCF there, and bring her back?
Old Dec 12th 2003, 10:54 pm
Bill Hutson

Default Re: DCF question for a friend

ironporer <member10524@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I believe I know the answer, but I throw out a question from
    > another board:
    >
    >
    >
    > I am not clear on one thing, if my fiancee is from Romania, and they do
    > not support DCF, I can take her to a 3rd country that does and DCF
    > there, and bring her back?

Ironpourer, What is the answer you believe you know? I, too am
vitaly interested in such an answer. I wish to marry a Russian, but I
do not reside in Russia, and so they will NOT DCF for us. Please
advise if there is a third country that will legally marry, then DCF
two VISITORS. Thank you for your assistance.

Old Dec 13th 2003, 2:08 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: DCF question for a friend

Originally posted by ironporer
I believe I know the answer, but I throw out a question from another board:

I am not clear on one thing, if my fiancee is from Romania, and they do not support DCF, I can take her to a 3rd country that does and DCF there, and bring her back?
Hi:

Lets forget DCF for a moment and focus on jurisdiction over the ALIEN spouse's application. The only consulate REQUIRED to take jurisdiction over the case is in the country where the alien RESIDES. All other consulates MAY, in their discretion, accept jurisdiction, but they don't like to.

Besides workload considerations, an out of jurisdiction consulate won't have a "feel" for the documentation from the other country. So, unless there is a damn strong reason for not doing in the home country [and speed is not a "good" reason], it won't be done.

These rules made for interesting practice with Iranians in the early 1980's. There was NO "home" consulate and there was also institutional hostility towards Iranians due to the fact there was no consulate in Tehran. [Every ConOff on the planet PERSONALLY knew at least one hostage]. Consul shopping became a fine art. [BTW, today Turkey and UAE are designated as the "home" consulates for Iranians].

Maybe at some other time, we might go into the history of "pre-examination" and "stateside criteria" programs where the Consulates in Canada would take cases. But that is ancient history now.