Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

DCF - Pending AOS and potential divorce

DCF - Pending AOS and potential divorce

Old Apr 13th 2005, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

anyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really nice
Default DCF - Pending AOS and potential divorce

Hi,

If I divorce, or am in the throes of divorce, or we are separated by the time AOS comes (conditional -> permanent), what do I need to do to stay in the country?

It was a bona fida relationship and I am expecting our first.

Thank you.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

evanio1978 has a spectacular aura aboutevanio1978 has a spectacular aura aboutevanio1978 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: DCF - Pending AOS and potential divorce

If your first is born in the United States he/she will become an automatic US Citizen. You entail will then have rights....

That's all I know - wait for more postings.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 2:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anyone4tea
Hi,

If I divorce, or am in the throes of divorce, or we are separated by the time AOS comes (conditional -> permanent), what do I need to do to stay in the country?

Thank you.

Since you are already in possession of an approved IR, you should immediately hop on a plane and make a trip to the US to active that visa.

Then if your worse case scenario happens and you divorce, you can immediately apply for removal of conditions based on a good faith marriage.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 2:35 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thank you.
Hi:

Your question and time line and indication of what you are doing is quite confusing. You are contradicting yourself a lot in a very short posting. Please clarify.
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evanio1978
If your first is born in the United States he/she will become an automatic US Citizen. You entail will then have rights....

Being the parent of a USC does not give her any rights to remain in the US without a valid visa.
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rete
Since you are already in possession of an approved IR, you should immediately hop on a plane and make a trip to the US to active that visa.

Then if your worse case scenario happens and you divorce, you can immediately apply for removal of conditions based on a good faith marriage.
Wrong.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

anyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really nice

Allow me to clarify, and apologies for keeping it brief - I'm up to my eyes in work.

I came to the US in 2004 on a CR1 (it's activated), and have a conditional green card. My AOS to an IR1 is due in around a year's time.

Although there have been good times in the marriage, things are breaking down, and I'd just like to be clear on my options.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Edited to add: I shall soon be giving birth to our daughter.

Last edited by anyone4tea; Apr 13th 2005 at 3:23 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 3:45 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Wrong.

Why? Explain!

Did not see the K-1, K-3, DCF in her timeline. Only the DCF, etc.

Explanation not needed.

Last edited by Rete; Apr 13th 2005 at 3:48 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Why? Explain!

Explanation not needed.

I started down the K1 route, then we went straight for DCF, having considered K3. I really should update my signature, and apologies for any confusion.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 4:12 pm
Cool Member

USA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thank you.
Here is a thread regarding the newest policies to apply to remove conditions before/during/after a seperation or divorce:
http://www.britishexpats.com/forum/s...d.php?t=293598

Good luck. This is a very stressful time for both of you, and i hope that things work out for the best, whatever that may be.

Marnee
Old Apr 13th 2005, 4:37 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thank you.
hi Kath, sorry to hear of trouble at home.
I think the "AOS" confused people... that refers to adjusting status *to* PR. Since you are already a PR, what you do next is Removal of Conditions. Hey, you can start a new shorthand...RoC...aka, filing I-751.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by meauxna
hi Kath, sorry to hear of trouble at home.
I think the "AOS" confused people... that refers to adjusting status *to* PR. Since you are already a PR, what you do next is Removal of Conditions. Hey, you can start a new shorthand...RoC...aka, filing I-751.
Hi Meauxna,

It's okay - we're trying to sort it out, but just wanted to check on my options. Thanks for the clarification re the AOS - I didn't realize I would confuse the issue! I've been out of the immigration scene for a few months now and have lost the lingo!

RoC it is, then... and staying in the relationship for another 18 months or so. Gives me something to work towards, to stop the unthinkable happening... having to leave my baby in the US while being deported. It gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

Kath
Old Apr 13th 2005, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by USA & Pakistan
Here is a thread regarding the newest policies to apply to remove conditions before/during/after a seperation or divorce:
http://www.britishexpats.com/forum/s...d.php?t=293598

Good luck. This is a very stressful time for both of you, and i hope that things work out for the best, whatever that may be.

Marnee
Thanks for the link Marnee... (gulp)

Lucy
Old Apr 13th 2005, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Garfield2005 is just really niceGarfield2005 is just really niceGarfield2005 is just really niceGarfield2005 is just really niceGarfield2005 is just really niceGarfield2005 is just really niceGarfield2005 is just really niceGarfield2005 is just really nice

Incorrect. The only benefit would be that the US Citizen kid could sponcer the parents when they turn 21 if they choose.

Originally Posted by evanio1978

Old Apr 13th 2005, 5:41 pm
Account Closed

Why? Explain!

Explanation not needed.
Hi:

I did see it. And I found it confusing. The "DCF" obviates the the K-1 and K-3 references.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.