Wikiposts

DCF New Delhi

Old May 13th 2004, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

SundarV is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DCF New Delhi

I am posting my experience at New Delhi for DCF.

My wife and I went to consulate around 9:45 AM on Monday. Initially, we saw a long line. We did not wait in the long line when we told the security guy that we are here to go to INS (Don's use USCIS here as it is still INS to local people).

Once we went to the INS office, the security guy takes the US passport. The INS officer call each one.

The following documentations were required

(1) Filled I-130
(2) Copy of Marriage Certificate
(3) Copy of spouse (alien) birth certificate
(4) Copy of naturalization certificate (if naturalized)
(5) Copy of passport of both petitioner and alien
(6) Biographic form for both petitioner and alien
(7) We submitted loose ceremony pictures as proof of relationship

The officer called us within 10 minutes. Both wife and I were asked to stand and take oath. The officer commented that it was one year since we got married. I mentioned the delay in obtaining the citizenship.

He asked both of us if we have been married before. He asked my wife if she had been to US before. That was the end. He asked us to pay $185 (note the new fees) at the Cashier windown. He said we should get packet from the home consular within 90-120 days. Of course, the posters here have gotten it much earlier than those time frame.

The officer did not ask for marriage photo album or any other proof. I had not taken any emails or telephone as proof. I had taken some paper from work that showed my wife is the beneficiary. Also, some mortgage paper that was signed by both of us. However, the officer did not ask anything. The total interview may have lasted for 15 minutes.

Overall, it was smooth sailing. Most probably the reason being that we were traditional Indian marriage.

Thanks for all the info from people on this board.

Sundar