Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

DCF- London - Timeline so far

DCF- London - Timeline so far

Old Aug 22nd 2007, 4:10 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DCF- London - Timeline so far

Originally Posted by Loversdream
Ohhhhhhh now I have to get an ITIN number from the IRS (He called the IRS and they said I needed the ITIN number).... hubby has to file taxes before we send off the checklist... could take another 2-3 months before we can send it off.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Hold the farm.. you can only get an ITIN now (IIRC!) by applying *with* a tax filing. Where the number is requested on the 1040 you may enter 'applied'.

You do not wait to get the ITIN before filing the tax returns.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

cruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to all

hubby has to file taxes before we send off the checklist... could take another 2-3 months before we can send it off.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
I also had to do the tax returns here in London. I went into the IRS (check opening days and times carefully!) and they helped me fill them out. Take payslips going back 3 years ie for 2004,2005 and 2006. The US tax year runs from Jan to Dec. If you don't have them that far back, take your P60s. Also you will need your passport to get in!

I posted my completed forms in and had stamped copies back within a few days...so it doesn't need to delay things too much!

Good luck.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 6:41 pm
-Lansbury

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 07:21:50 +0000, Ynara <[email protected]>
wrote:

>
>> Ohhhhhhh now I have to get an ITIN number from the IRS (He called the
>> IRS and they said I needed the ITIN number).... hubby has to file
>> taxes before we send off the checklist... could take another 2-3
>> months before we can send it off.
>> GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
>
>Loversdream, what is an ITIN number? My hubby hasn't filed any taxes
>since being in the UK, is that going to cause us problems?

I thought it was TIN - Tax Identification Number. It is for non US citizens
who do not have a social security number but for some reason might be liable
to US income tax.

--
Lansbury
www.uk-air.net
FAQs for the alt.travel.uk.air newsgroup

Old Aug 23rd 2007, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Loversdream is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
Hold the farm.. you can only get an ITIN now (IIRC!) by applying *with* a tax filing. Where the number is requested on the 1040 you may enter 'applied'.

You do not wait to get the ITIN before filing the tax returns.
We apply for the ITIN at the same time we file the tax returns... the guy from the IRS said it could take 2.5 months before we get the paperwork to take to the interview... (The Jersey tax year is from Jan - Dec too... so that helps a bit ).

Last edited by Loversdream; Aug 23rd 2007 at 7:27 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by slighty mad
I'm waiting for my interview in London which is on the 29th of this month.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!

I am sure its not as bad as you think its going to be lol
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 4:32 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

We apply for the ITIN at the same time we file the tax returns... the guy from the IRS said it could take 2.5 months before we get the paperwork to take to the interview... (The Jersey tax year is from Jan - Dec too... so that helps a bit ).
You don't have to wait to get anything back from the IRS. You may present a photocopy (originals to the interview) of your filed returns.
The instructions on I-864 spell out what all you need to include.

Old Aug 23rd 2007, 10:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to wait to get anything back from the IRS. You may present a photocopy (originals to the interview) of your filed returns.
Umm... don't the originals go to the IRS? All he can present are copies... even at the interview!

Ian
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Umm... don't the originals go to the IRS? All he can present are copies... even at the interview!

Ian
Excellent point.
Touche already made in another thread!
Old Aug 24th 2007, 3:37 am
Just Joined

KJC24 is an unknown quantity at this point

So once they process the I-129F, you have to mail the I-130 which can take 3 more months by the time you get an interview?
Old Aug 24th 2007, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by KJC24
So once they process the I-129F, you have to mail the I-130 which can take 3 more months by the time you get an interview?
?
This thread is about the process for a married couple where both live in the UK.

The I-129f is nothing to do with it.

Old Aug 24th 2007, 12:24 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is about the process for a married couple where both live in the UK. The I-129f is nothing to do with it.
I often wonder whether some people simply shouldn't try to navigate the immigration process!

Ian
Old Aug 25th 2007, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

wisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud of

havng just read through this thread Im now a little worried, I am USC and we are currently waiting for the police checks etc for my husband to come through before making his embassy appointment. I went up to the embassy several months ago and went into the IRS office to try and do tax returns or at least ask about them. The guy at the counter went through what I had earnt (not a lot due to caring for FIL) and said i did not need to file any tax returns as I had not earnt enough. He date stamped 1 form and said that would be all i needed. Does anyone know if this is correct ? I could quite easily go back up with my P60s if neccessary. Whilst I was there I was aware of a family urgently completing forms on the day of the interview, maybe if what we have is not sufficient we could do that ??
Also is it possible for me to attend husbands interview with him or does he have to go it alone ?
Old Aug 26th 2007, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by wisewol
havng just read through this thread Im now a little worried, I am USC and we are currently waiting for the police checks etc for my husband to come through before making his embassy appointment. I went up to the embassy several months ago and went into the IRS office to try and do tax returns or at least ask about them. The guy at the counter went through what I had earnt (not a lot due to caring for FIL) and said i did not need to file any tax returns as I had not earnt enough. He date stamped 1 form and said that would be all i needed. Does anyone know if this is correct ? I could quite easily go back up with my P60s if neccessary. Whilst I was there I was aware of a family urgently completing forms on the day of the interview, maybe if what we have is not sufficient we could do that ??
Also is it possible for me to attend husbands interview with him or does he have to go it alone ?
I don't understand.. if you did not earn enough to file a tax return, and you have evidence of that from the IRS, what is it you want?
Perhaps these other posters earned more than you did, and ARE required to file taxes? There is a simple, income based cutoff.

You can go to the Embassy with your husband, but it is his interview. The officer wanted to speak to me during the interview, but would not let me participate in the whole thing. I was called over when she had a question for me (regarding my I-864). Other than that, I had to stay in the chair away from where they met.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

wisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=meauxna;5235455]I don't understand.. if you did not earn enough to file a tax return, and you have evidence of that from the IRS, what is it you want?
Perhaps these other posters earned more than you did, and ARE required to file taxes? There is a simple, income based cutoff.

What I am concerned about is that apart from this one date stamp on a random tax form, this is all I have t prove I even tried to complete my tax returns. I know about the cut off and I was well below the amount you need to earn. Just wondered really whether I needed more evidence that i tried to file my returns.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

The instructions on I-864 spell out what all you need to include.

Yes, but he didn't know he had to file the tax returns... so we are filing 2003 - 2006 in one go.....

In the I-864 instructions it says...

If you were required to file a Federal income tax return during any of the previous three tax years but did not do so, you must file any and all late returns with IRS and attach an IRS-generated tax return transcript documenting your late filing before submitting the I-864 Affidavit of Support.
We are trying to do everything 'by the book', so we have a better chance of getting my visa.

Last edited by Loversdream; Aug 26th 2007 at 12:59 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.