Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

DCF London Question (past experiences?)

Wikiposts

DCF London Question (past experiences?)

Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

frank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud of
Default Re: DCF London Question (past experiences?)

Pls excuse my v poor spelling and editing skills tonite! The container has been sealed and disptached an hour or so ago, haven't slept in days, and our POE at EWR is in under 3 days! OP - there's a light at the end of the tunnel and you'll soon look back at this stage and smile!
Old Feb 18th 2010, 10:30 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomjeito
I was looking for a time line, not a time frame.
I'm not sure why it really matters, but I think you're asking for nothing but confusion. Worse, once people start getting it into their heads that 2 weeks is the norm from Point A to Point B, then when it takes one person 2 weeks and 2 days, they're going to start posting on here wondering why their case is taking so long and what can they do about it! If it normally take 2 months to get from Point B to Point C but 3 people report here that they completed that step in 1 month, then people are going to start worrying needlessly if their case doesn't move to Point C in 1 month... even though it normally takes 2 months.

IMHO, looking for time lines is not only a complete waste of time and effort... it's just plain stupid.

Ian
Old Feb 18th 2010, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

well ian, thanks for calling my question 'just plain stupid.' Yes, you are welcome to your opinion, but it is my thread as I posted it. So I don't share your opinion, obviously.

It DOES help some of us, as it helps to know if I should plan a 3 week trip out of UK next month. Or waiting months to only then find out the paperwork has been lost? Or that my husband cannot start his job until the visa is done as its faster than his company sponsoring one? So missing an important 'piece' of the puzzle may be fine for folks to wait for months only to find the paperwork has gone astray?

Or was I just 'inviting confusion' because you have decided my query is your opinion of dumb?

Or maybe the opinion of others in the same boat as myself, who of us are still in the process and somewhat interested to know the timelines. For the rest, the thread can be bypassed.

Pretty assumptive to assume some folks, as myself, are so limited in brain power and common sense that we think such past experiences are cement and stone for future and totally unrelated experiences of other persons.

For the others, thanks so much for the insight.

And for my mistake, Meuxana, thank you for writing the DCF wiki, and to Rene for pointing me to it. (I'd given Noorah/Rene the kudo for the effort.)

Last edited by Bomjeito; Feb 18th 2010 at 11:38 pm. Reason: clarity.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Frank! Soon you'll be in Newark, having your passport stamped and such the end of one journey and start of another!

Thanks for your post.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 12:36 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomjeito
Pretty assumptive to assume some folks, as myself, are so limited in brain power and common sense that we think such past experiences are cement and stone for future and totally unrelated experiences of other persons.
Actually, it happens all the time. With respect, once you've hung around here a bit longer, you'll find out the truth for yourself. Indeed, I'm surprised you haven't already noticed that time lines are meaningless simply because no two cases are alike.

Perhaps what you're really after is an "average" time line based on cases that are similar to yours. This presumes that people posting know your history as well as they know their own... otherwise, the cases are likely not similar enough to make that determination. So... it's still meaningless, and the best you're going to get with any certainty is a time frame which, apparently you don't want.

Ian
Old Feb 19th 2010, 1:32 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Come on, Ian

You know that after 12 years here on the forum, everyone wants a timeline as opposed to a timeframe. It is human nature to want to have a more concrete handle on the situation. We know that timelines vary like the temps and can be 3 months for one couple and 5 months for the next. The variables are time of year, number of applicants pending, US and UK holidays, security interests both for the Consulate and the beneficiary (even a name like Jones could be stuck in security checks for a year), financial sponsorship problems and like in the case of Ginblossom, issues concerning proof of re-establishment of US domicile.

So go with the flow and let those who have been there and done that reply and we will read and learn instead. And hold hands and commiserate when times go afoul.

Last edited by Rete; Feb 19th 2010 at 1:35 am.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 4:40 am
Just Joined

apkel is an unknown quantity at this point

great information on here. No matter how many times I think I have a handle on it I learn something new. Filed I130 one week ago for today for DH (uks) and accepted an offer on our house yesterday!
Old Feb 19th 2010, 4:54 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Come on, Ian

You know that after 12 years here on the forum, everyone wants a timeline as opposed to a timeframe. It is human nature to want to have a more concrete handle on the situation. We know that timelines vary like the temps and can be 3 months for one couple and 5 months for the next. The variables are time of year, number of applicants pending, US and UK holidays, security interests both for the Consulate and the beneficiary (even a name like Jones could be stuck in security checks for a year), financial sponsorship problems and like in the case of Ginblossom, issues concerning proof of re-establishment of US domicile.

So go with the flow and let those who have been there and done that reply and we will read and learn instead. And hold hands and commiserate when times go afoul.

Good post. I would add prosaic things like personnel changes, vacations, holidays and adverse weather can influence how long something takes. [Just last week, the Board of Immigration Appeals was closed due the conditions in DC. The blanket extension of filing dates expires today]. I know of one instance in an embassy where a non-smoking employee in charge of a particular function retired. She was replaced by a person who smoked two-packs a day. Since employees were not allowed to smoke in the building, much less at their desks, the time lines for that particular action suddenly became 20% longer.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks again, all.

Its not about taking my time to hang out here to learn.... I'm not going to apologize or take off the thread because Ian doesn't like me asking for a time line.

Simply does help with perspective with approximations - some of us CAN live in a world of non-concrete. And of course I have the common sense to know about holidays, sick leave, mail strikes, acts of God, ambivalence, etc.... to know one person's experience will not replicate mine, nor could I ever expect anyone on a forum to know my personal, intimate paperwork details -

Sometimes just the knowledge that some have done this already, and it worked out (and included timelines) tends to assuage some discomfort in a new process or situation.

Thanks to all that were kind enough to explain their experience, because it really did help.

Its like having a baby, which Ian will never do, but assuredly has opinions on it - knowing what to expect, helps calm fear (even as irrational as some may opine) and allow the process to simply...happen.

As for us, all docs are ready for the eventual letter from London State Dept so we can schedule medical and interviews and get moving! Final package negotiations with the company were yesterday, including a better relocation than we expected. Now to sell the house and get back to the USA! And shed our fleece and cold and snow and ice! (USPR-to-be is out shoveling snow... thanks Scotland!)