Reload this Page >

DCF London--INTERVIEW!!!!

Wikiposts

DCF London--INTERVIEW!!!!

Old Mar 31st 2004, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

lexelf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DCF London--INTERVIEW!!!!

After 6 long months....it's here!! April 8th!!!

I'm SOOO relieved and my husband couldn't be happier...he is SO excited to move to the states

NONE OF THIS would have been possible without all the support and help (and enduring endless stupid questions) that you all give!!!!!

now, god forbid i post something without a question....

i need a roundabout time we should receive our visa if we wait for it. i need to book train tickets home from london and we both work the next day so i want to get home as early as possible...you think we'll have it by 430?? i've been reading a lot of people's interview stories and a LOT of you chose to have them mailed to you!!! i'm too paranoid for that...

also, we'll have to check-out of our hotel/b&b before we leave in the morning....can we bring our small bag/suitcase into the embassy??

and finally...when my husband's having his check-up at the doctors, where do i go?? can i wait or should i bugger off somewhere 'til he's done??

thank you AGAIN for all the help!

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and sorry i haven't kept up to date with my timeline :/

-lex & dan
Old Mar 31st 2004, 6:49 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: DCF London--INTERVIEW!!!!

Congrats!!!!

I don't know if you saw it, but John Murray posted their DCF experience here, maybe this'll help?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=221241

Good luck for your big day!

Kate. xxxxx
Old Mar 31st 2004, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

John Murray will become famous soon enoughJohn Murray will become famous soon enough

Hi,

See my earlier post (very long one) which I posted earlier today about our day in London on Monday - it was a breeze!!

In response to your questions:

You should expect the visa to be delivered by courier to your home the day after the interview. Your letter should mention a £10 fee for this which has to be paid by cash. We had the interview first and the medical afterwards. We had to go back to the Doctors at 1:30 to get verbal confirmation of the results of the blood test. After that we were all done. I would much rather have waited for the visa on the day but I had no option!

The Embassy allow small bags, we brought a rucksack which had our docs in, which was xrayed before we got in. I don't think they'd allow suitcases though - but maybe someone else has more info on this...

There's a waiting room in the doctors on the ground floor where partners etc. can wait. Its a really nice room with leather couches and a coal fire. The waitring room for those taking the medical is downstairs - not half as nice and with uncomfortable chairs!
Old Mar 31st 2004, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by John Murray
Hi,

See my earlier post (very long one) which I posted earlier today about our day in London on Monday - it was a breeze!!

In response to your questions:

You should expect the visa to be delivered by courier to your home the day after the interview. Your letter should mention a £10 fee for this which has to be paid by cash. We had the interview first and the medical afterwards. We had to go back to the Doctors at 1:30 to get verbal confirmation of the results of the blood test. After that we were all done. I would much rather have waited for the visa on the day but I had no option!

The Embassy allow small bags, we brought a rucksack which had our docs in, which was xrayed before we got in. I don't think they'd allow suitcases though - but maybe someone else has more info on this...

There's a waiting room in the doctors on the ground floor where partners etc. can wait. Its a really nice room with leather couches and a coal fire. The waitring room for those taking the medical is downstairs - not half as nice and with uncomfortable chairs!
congrats yourself!!! Thank you for the info...We're hoping only to take a change of clothes and visa stuff only, so we should be able to fit it into a small bag no problem....

is there any option to wait for the visa?? we'd MUCH prefer to do that....we've had bad experiences with the post *grrrrrr*

-lex
Old Mar 31st 2004, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

John Murray will become famous soon enoughJohn Murray will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by lexelf
congrats yourself!!! Thank you for the info...We're hoping only to take a change of clothes and visa stuff only, so we should be able to fit it into a small bag no problem....

is there any option to wait for the visa?? we'd MUCH prefer to do that....we've had bad experiences with the post *grrrrrr*

-lex
As I understand it is not an option to wait. New rules as of 1 March are that all visas are sent our by courier - Initial City Link. You get a tracking number where you can track its progress online.

I was left a little unsure after the interview/medical, as I wasn't 100% certain something hadn't went wrong somewhere until I actually got the visa in my hands! The extra wait is horrible - but, I fear, unavoidable.
Old Mar 31st 2004, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by John Murray
As I understand it is not an option to wait. New rules as of 1 March are that all visas are sent our by courier - Initial City Link. You get a tracking number where you can track its progress online.

I was left a little unsure after the interview/medical, as I wasn't 100% certain something hadn't went wrong somewhere until I actually got the visa in my hands! The extra wait is horrible - but, I fear, unavoidable.

Stupid new rules...grrrr...although being able to get back to Cov before 10 will alleviate MUCH stress...god forbid our jobs should give us easter weekend off!!

thank you for your help

-lex
Old Mar 31st 2004, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

ok...ONE MORE QUESTION

how bothered should we be about what we wear?? if worse comes to worse (and we can't take a small suitcase) would jeans and a nice top be COMPLETELY out of the question??

-lex
Old Mar 31st 2004, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

ok...ONE MORE QUESTION

how bothered should we be about what we wear?? if worse comes to worse (and we can't take a small suitcase) would jeans and a nice top be COMPLETELY out of the question??

-lex
I decided to wear jeans and a shirt. I wanted to wear a shirt for easily taking it off at the medical.

I noticed one person wearing a suit, but most people were casually dressed.
Old Mar 31st 2004, 8:24 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

ok...ONE MORE QUESTION

-lex
London seem to be pretty casual. Wear something comfy and appropriate for the weather!

Kate. xxx