Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

DCF London 1-130 questions and where to begin?!

Wikiposts

DCF London 1-130 questions and where to begin?!

Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

lostfairyuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: DCF London 1-130 questions and where to begin?!

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes, all those forms I listed get filed together in one package, along with the results of your medical.

Rene
OH GREAT! Thank you so much for your help.
:
I've just been on the website looking at all the forms, what they are, the fee etc.

So my husband and I fill them all in, attach required docs and pics, put in envelope with filing fee and send off to the Lockbox?

I don't have all the necessary docs yet - my birth certificate is in UK and will need to be copied and mailed over - shall I just send the I-130 first and wait?

or wait til I get all the docs together and then do all together?

Thanks again.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:31 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DCF London 1-130 questions and where to begin?!

Originally Posted by lostfairyuk
Thank you for your detailed reply.

pond-hopper!

I think they thought it would be quicker, no other reason, and it would be easier. When I next talk to them, I will ask why they thought the processing in the US would take so long.

So, do I file the I-130 and the I-485 at the same time? Confused!!
I-130 + I-485 is called a concurrent filing; the petition and application for benefit are going in at the same time.
Here's some background reading for you; don't rush to the step by step before you understand the context. It will be worth the wait (in both dollars and time).

Guide for Adjusting Status - Including a Concurrent filing of the 1-130

CIS Fact Sheets
How do I....
Become a Lawful Permanent Resident While In The United States?
Get an Immigrant Visa Number?
Get A Work Permit (Employment Authorization Document - EAD)?
Get Information About Requirements for Traveling Abroad?
Check the Status of My Case?
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:43 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have all the necessary docs yet - my birth certificate is in UK and will need to be copied and mailed over - shall I just send the I-130 first and wait?

or wait til I get all the docs together and then do all together?

Thanks again.
WAIT until you have EVERYTHING all done, all the documents you need, your medical is done and you have the results, etc. Don't file just the I-130 ahead of time. Don't file an incomplete AOS package, you'll only receive an RFE (Request for Further Evidence) for it later on. Wait until you have all the documents you need to file the complete AOS requirements.

Rene
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:44 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The fee for AOS is $1,010. That includes your biometrics (fingerprinting). You'll pay for your medical separately. You'll pay for any incidentals separately (passport-type photos, photocopies, etc).

Mail the complete AOS package via USPS Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested (or some other trackable way).

Rene
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Cool Re: DCF London 1-130 questions and where to begin?!

The fee for AOS is $1,010. That includes your biometrics (fingerprinting). You'll pay for your medical separately. You'll pay for any incidentals separately (passport-type photos, photocopies, etc).

Mail the complete AOS package via USPS Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested (or some other trackable way).

Rene
Rene you are wonderful thank you so much for your help on this.

It all seemed very daunting at first!

I'll gather everything together and then post off. I'm just in the prosess of getting health insurance via my husband, so that will guide me with the medical I guess?

Thank you all.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:07 am

I'll gather everything together and then post off. I'm just in the prosess of getting health insurance via my husband, so that will guide me with the medical I guess?
Only if you need vaccinations done (try to get a record of your vaccinations from home). You can get those done, if you need any, by your private health care provider.

The actual medical needs to be done by a USCIS approved civil surgeon. There is a list of them on the USCIS website. If it just so happens your doctor is on that list, great. If not, you'll pay their full fee for the medical.

Rene
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:10 am

Here's the link to the Civil Surgeon locator, to find one in your area: https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?ac...ffice_type=CIV

Rene
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 11:51 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
How judgmental.
I'm not so sure... people who go to lawyers for advice should have a reasonable expection of accuracy. She spoke to an immigration lawyer. Certainly he should know the rules! His response was, IMHO, a far cry from "mistaken".

Ian
Old Jun 24th 2008, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: DCF London 1-130 questions and where to begin?!

Only if you need vaccinations done (try to get a record of your vaccinations from home). You can get those done, if you need any, by your private health care provider.

The actual medical needs to be done by a USCIS approved civil surgeon. There is a list of them on the USCIS website. If it just so happens your doctor is on that list, great. If not, you'll pay their full fee for the medical.

Rene
It's hard doing things from across the ocean!! I just got my mum to copy my birth certificate to send on over... I wonder if I can call my Doctor in the UK for a record of my shots... I'm not overly keen on getting them done all over..

I have very little experience with health care in the states. Am waiting for final details on the insurance from my husband. I just wonder how easy it will be to find one to do the medical that is covered by our company.. I guess the first start is to ask his Doc to see if they do it...

Also, what are your thoughts on how long the Advance Parole thing will come through after filing everything concurrently? I am going back to London in August (I travel back and forth for my job) then again in December. I don't want to file only to leave and get the whole thing 'abandoned'...

THANKS
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:15 am

It's hard doing things from across the ocean!! I just got my mum to copy my birth certificate to send on over... I wonder if I can call my Doctor in the UK for a record of my shots... I'm not overly keen on getting them done all over..

I have very little experience with health care in the states. Am waiting for final details on the insurance from my husband. I just wonder how easy it will be to find one to do the medical that is covered by our company.. I guess the first start is to ask his Doc to see if they do it...

Also, what are your thoughts on how long the Advance Parole thing will come through after filing everything concurrently? I am going back to London in August (I travel back and forth for my job) then again in December. I don't want to file only to leave and get the whole thing 'abandoned'...

THANKS
From what I can tell, there are not THAT many USCIS doctors around. Did you look at the list yet? There are probably only a few in your area. Give them all a call and see if they accept your insurance coverage. That's how I would do it. I haven't heard too many who have been lucky enough to have the USCIS doctor be on their insurance plan, but definitely call around and ask them.

The AP takes about 60 days to get, after filing AOS. I personally don't think you'll have it by August. If you do, you'd be very lucky. You might want to wait to file AOS after you come back from your business trip in August, which gives you until December to get the AP. If you travel before you file AOS, you can still travel on your current visa. If you file AOS, then you must use AP to travel.

Rene
Old Jun 24th 2008, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: DCF London 1-130 questions and where to begin?!

From what I can tell, there are not THAT many USCIS doctors around. Did you look at the list yet? There are probably only a few in your area. Give them all a call and see if they accept your insurance coverage. That's how I would do it. I haven't heard too many who have been lucky enough to have the USCIS doctor be on their insurance plan, but definitely call around and ask them.

The AP takes about 60 days to get, after filing AOS. I personally don't think you'll have it by August. If you do, you'd be very lucky. You might want to wait to file AOS after you come back from your business trip in August, which gives you until December to get the AP. If you travel before you file AOS, you can still travel on your current visa. If you file AOS, then you must use AP to travel.

Rene
We're just finishing up adding me to his Insurance as we speak then we will cross reference doctors on the link you sent me with the DocFind on the insurance page... we live in New York, so I am thinking there will be more of a chance? Again, I know nothing of insurance and healthcare in the US and how it works. We may need to get a referall or something.

I think I will just wait til after August. More likely I have all the documents together by then anyway, and I really want to be very thorough.

So the AP takes c. 60 days and the Employment Authorisation? Does anyone know?

Thanks again
Old Jun 24th 2008, 3:33 am

I still think calling the local USCIS doctors from the list, and asking them if they accept your insurance would be the fastest way to determine if one of the USCIS doctors is under your health plan.

The EAD (Employment Authorization Document) takes about 90 days to receive. You can still continue working for your current employer without the EAD, while you're waiting for your AOS interview. The EAD comes in handy if you want to change jobs.

Rene
Old Jun 24th 2008, 3:45 am

I took a look, I see there are lots of USCIS doctors in NY. You can narrow it down by zip code and just call the ones you are willing to drive to.

Rene
Old Jun 25th 2008, 3:29 am

I took a look, I see there are lots of USCIS doctors in NY. You can narrow it down by zip code and just call the ones you are willing to drive to.

Rene
I've started a new thread for LostFairyUK's AOS Questions, since she is no longer doing DCF. I'm closing this thread. Please respond to: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=545151

Rene