Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

DCF: how long & can someone explain all the steps?

Wikiposts

DCF: how long & can someone explain all the steps?

Old Feb 3rd 2011, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

Tracy_UK is just really niceTracy_UK is just really niceTracy_UK is just really niceTracy_UK is just really niceTracy_UK is just really niceTracy_UK is just really niceTracy_UK is just really niceTracy_UK is just really nice
Default DCF: how long & can someone explain all the steps?

I have a query regarding the final step (Interview APPROVED), then how long do you have to actually move to the US. I once heard/read we had 6 months. I wanted to send my completed I-130 today, then my hubby said we need at least 10 more months to save as much as we can so we can furnish the bloody house in the US. (If it was up to me I'd use camp chairs and sleeping bags ) Will this be the wrong time to submit my forms then? Can sometime please inform me what happens during the actually steps.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 2:45 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1-130 DCF Applicants Feb-March

Originally Posted by Tracy_UK
I have a query regarding the final step (Interview APPROVED), then how long do you have to actually move to the US. I once heard/read we had 6 months. I wanted to send my completed I-130 today, then my hubby said we need at least 10 more months to save as much as we can so we can furnish the bloody house in the US. (If it was up to me I'd use camp chairs and sleeping bags ) Will this be the wrong time to submit my forms then? Can sometime please inform me what happens during the actually steps.
You are correct. Once the visa is issued, it's valid for travel to the USA for up to 6 months.

Rene
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

Tracy_UK is just really niceTracy_UK is just really niceTracy_UK is just really niceTracy_UK is just really niceTracy_UK is just really niceTracy_UK is just really niceTracy_UK is just really niceTracy_UK is just really nice

Ok thanks Noorah.. I just love this forum btw.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 3:09 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thanks Noorah.. I just love this forum btw.
I should mention to make sure and double check the visa expiration date, though! Majority of the time it's valid for 6 months, but there have been a few cases where it's been less than 6.

Rene
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

Shermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to all

It's important to remember that whilst you have 6 months to enter the US, the actual visa process takes time. For DCF in London, the USCIS is currently processing applications from October. So even if you file now it will take some time for the I-130 to be approved and then of course it's a two step process. From what other members have said, it's usually about a month between the medical date and the interview. Bet you're eager to get the process started but remember it takes time, most of us on here are driving ourselves crazy waiting for our approval dates xx
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 4:27 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DCF: how long & can someone explain all the steps?

This wiki article explains in great detail what each step is and when it happens. If you are filing your I-130 in London (because you live there now), those cases take 5 months from start to finish.

'DCF' in London

It is OK for you to file the I-130 now and have that approved, and save the 3 months or so for the visa application until you are more ready to move.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 4:44 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

You can also delay that five-month process a bit if you want to by delaying sending in the next forms and so on. (Most people want to make the process as short as possible so send them in immediately.) So if you want to move in 10 to 12 months I'd say it's OK to send in the I-130 now.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Thank you all for the responses.. I have just sealed my packet and be posting it Special Delivery to London in the morning. I've taken on everyone's responses to heart and have decided to start the proceedings. I've explained to hubby about the delaying tactics and he seemed satisfied we can save more up money for our move.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:07 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for the responses.. I have just sealed my packet and be posting it Special Delivery to London in the morning. I've taken on everyone's responses to heart and have decided to start the proceedings. I've explained to hubby about the delaying tactics and he seemed satisfied we can save more up money for our move.
You've found the London checklist from the Embassy site, and followed their instructions?
Just checking.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
You've found the London checklist from the Embassy site, and followed their instructions?
Just checking.

Yes I've found the checklist and will only be sending to them exactly what they request. I've had to make another delay and won't be posting the paperwork afterall until the end of the month. MOT/service and bloody road tax was due so that ate into the application fee fund.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 6:03 am

Yes I've found the checklist and will only be sending to them exactly what they request. I've had to make another delay and won't be posting the paperwork afterall until the end of the month. MOT/service and bloody road tax was due so that ate into the application fee fund.
It's always something isn't it..