Wikiposts

DCF with DUI?

Old Nov 8th 2011, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

Jess08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DCF with DUI?

Hiya! I'm a USC and my DH is a UKC. We're hoping to file the I-130 for DCF this week. Before I pay the $420 to file the form, I've got a question about the whole process.

I know at some point they do a background check. My worry is that DH had a DUI while he was living in the US. He's paid the fine off and done the community service and everything so it's all be taken care of, so to speak, but I'm worried that our application will be denied because of it.

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Thanks!

ETA: I've also noticed some people have filed the DS-2001, but I've read that it's not necessary anymore. True? False?

Last edited by Jess08; Nov 8th 2011 at 7:15 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

CAProgrammer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: DCF with DUI?

Originally Posted by Jess08
ETA: I've also noticed some people have filed the DS-2001, but I've read that it's not necessary anymore. True? False?
You will need to file the DS-2001 but only after you get your case number which is much further down the line.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 4:15 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

My worry is that DH had a DUI while he was living in the US. He's paid the fine off and done the community service and everything so it's all be taken care of, so to speak, but I'm worried that our application will be denied because of it.
Your application will likely not be denied because of it. He must declare the arrest when he applies but, since it happened in the US, his UK ACPO certificate will be clean.

How was it that he came to be living in the US?

Ian
Old Nov 9th 2011, 5:09 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Not relevant to the I-130 petition, which is to establish the marital (in this case) relationship. If the DUI will be an issue it will come up later on with the visa application.

Regards, JEff

Hiya! I'm a USC and my DH is a UKC. We're hoping to file the I-130 for DCF this week. Before I pay the $420 to file the form, I've got a question about the whole process.

I know at some point they do a background check. My worry is that DH had a DUI while he was living in the US. He's paid the fine off and done the community service and everything so it's all be taken care of, so to speak, but I'm worried that our application will be denied because of it.

Can anyone shed any light on this please?
Old Nov 9th 2011, 6:13 am
Just Joined

Phew! That's a relief!

He lived in the US for 2 years on a K3 (I think?) visa. He split with his ex before the adjustment of status was filed so he had to leave at the end of 2 years. We moved to the UK, got married and have been here for 3 and a half years.

Of course he'll declare it on the application. I noticed that an applicant must provide court/arrest records if they have had an arrest. Am I correct in thinking that this only applies to arrests in the UK? Or do we need to contact the court in the US and get records from them?
Old Nov 9th 2011, 6:22 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Or do we need to contact the court in the US and get records from them?
He will not need to provide a police report from the USA. USA will do their own checks on him as part of the visa process.

Rene
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:17 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Be prepared for the potential impact on the medical examination.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Be prepared for the potential impact on the medical examination.
I didn't realize it'd affect the medical. How so?
Old Nov 9th 2011, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

He should expect to be grilled about his alcohol intake.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

Ahh, ok. That makes sense. It's not an issue now. Thanks!
Old Nov 10th 2011, 2:29 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

There is a medical ground of inadmissability for substance abuse.

I have no idea what your level of alcohol consumption is. However, there have been discussions on this forum and elsewhere regarding heavy drinkers who think their consumption is normal. There is a famous [or infamous] article which was discussed in this thread. I recommend reading post #29 in the thread.

BTW, Phil & Shayna removed much in the way of their postings on the postings on the internet. However, this BE stuff is still there.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh, ok. That makes sense. It's not an issue now. Thanks!
Keep in mind that drinking levels which are considered acceptable in the UK are not necessarily ok for the medical.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 5:25 am
Just Joined

He's stopped drinking altogether since we've had a baby