Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

DCF Brazil interview in 2 weeks,important question!!

Wikiposts

DCF Brazil interview in 2 weeks,important question!!

Old Jan 16th 2006, 7:14 am
Just Joined

brazilera is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation DCF Brazil interview in 2 weeks,important question!!

Hi,
My brazilian hubby will have his interview at the Embassy very soon.
He did overstay his visa while visiting the US in the past,but was granted Voluntary Departure after being caught.He has visited me in the US after that.
At the time he was in the immigration court he was never asked if he had worked in the US,but he had under a name that wasnt his.
Does anyone think he will be asked about having worked in the US without permission? What should he answer? Is there a possibility that he might not get his Green Card regarding this issue?
Other than that he is a very decent man,with no criminal record,college educated,but im kinda worried about this...
Can anyone help answering these questions please?
Many thanks!!!
Old Jan 16th 2006, 7:36 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DCF Brazil interview in 2 weeks,important question!!

Originally Posted by brazilera
What should he answer?
The only one I can answer for you is this one, and the answer is, tell the truth. The worst thing one can do is lie to an immigration officer, or on any of the immigration forms.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jan 16th 2006, 7:45 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

What should he answer?
If (=*if*=) he is asked the question, he should answer honestly... no matter what! It would be worse if he lies... far worse!

Ian
Old Jan 16th 2006, 7:46 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If (=*if*=) he is asked the question, he should answer honestly... no matter what! It would be worse if he lies... far worse!

Ian
But if he is NOT asked the question, he doesn't have to answer.

I really feel for non-native English speakers......
Old Jan 16th 2006, 7:53 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
But if he is NOT asked the question, he doesn't have to answer.
I didn't want to come right out and say that although that's what I was thinking! There's nothing to answer if no question is asked!

Ian
Old Jan 16th 2006, 8:16 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I really feel for non-native English speakers......
I think most embassies provide a translator for those whose English is weak. There was one for our interview in Turkey. It was confusing because the Officer only spoke English, the interpreter spoke only English and Turkish, my fiance spoke only Turkish and Farsi, and I spoke only Farsi and English. It was quite fun, actually!

Rene
Old Jan 16th 2006, 8:57 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I think most embassies provide a translator for those whose English is weak. There was one for our interview in Turkey. It was confusing because the Officer only spoke English, the interpreter spoke only English and Turkish, my fiance spoke only Turkish and Farsi, and I spoke only Farsi and English. It was quite fun, actually!
If the translation is not accurate, though, either way.... who bears the responsiblility for the accuracy of the answer?

I'd probably want to hear it in both languages and answer in my native language.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 6:58 am
Just Joined

Thanks.
We obviously know it is better not to lie at the intw,but i guess we are more scared that telling the truth (that he did work in the past) would automaticly get us into big trouble,and would not get his GC.
Does anyone know is this would be the case if we tell the truth? Because in that case I still think we should lie since there is no proof anywhere that he had worked illegally.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:02 am

Thanks.
We obviously know it is better not to lie at the intw,but i guess we are more scared that telling the truth (that he did work in the past) would automaticly get us into big trouble,and would not get his GC.
Does anyone know is this would be the case if we tell the truth? Because in that case I still think we should lie since there is no proof anywhere that he had worked illegally.
I understand your frustration, but regardless of the outcome of the interview, and whether the answer would result in his green card approval or denial, no one here is going to say it's OK to lie to the immigration officer.

Rene
Old Jan 19th 2006, 11:02 am
Account Closed

We obviously know it is better not to lie at the intw...
Apparently you don't, because you're still entertaining the thought. Which part of "don't lie" didn't you understand? It will be far worse for you if you lie than if you tell the truth about his working without authorization. Period. End of story. Do you get it yet?

Ian
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

I worked illegally. They asked about it. I answered honestly. I got my green card. It went something like this:

Interviewer: "So, are you working now?"
Me: "Yes"
Interviewer: "Oh, what do you do?"
Me: "Ahh... some office crap"
Interviewer: "Haha, you don't sound very excited about it"

...and that was it.

Now, with that said... I wasn't DCF'ing. Regardless.... don't lie.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 6:35 am
Just Joined

Exclamation Re: DCF Brazil interview in 2 weeks,important question!!

Hi,
My brazilian hubby will have his interview at the Embassy very soon.
He did overstay his visa while visiting the US in the past,but was granted Voluntary Departure after being caught.He has visited me in the US after that.
At the time he was in the immigration court he was never asked if he had worked in the US,but he had under a name that wasnt his.
Does anyone think he will be asked about having worked in the US without permission? What should he answer? Is there a possibility that he might not get his Green Card regarding this issue?
Other than that he is a very decent man,with no criminal record,college educated,but im kinda worried about this...
Can anyone help answering these questions please?
Many thanks!!!
ok so far only 1 of the 3 questions has been answered...
how about the other 2oes anyone think he will be asked about having worked in the US without permission? Is there a possibility that he might not get his Green Card regarding this issue?
Thanks a bunch for your help and your time!
Michelle
Old Jan 26th 2006, 6:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by andrea874
I worked illegally. They asked about it. I answered honestly. I got my green card. It went something like this:

Interviewer: "So, are you working now?"
Me: "Yes"
Interviewer: "Oh, what do you do?"
Me: "Ahh... some office crap"
Interviewer: "Haha, you don't sound very excited about it"

...and that was it.

Now, with that said... I wasn't DCF'ing. Regardless.... don't lie.
cheers andrea!
Old Jan 26th 2006, 6:42 am

ok so far only 1 of the 3 questions has been answered...
how about the other 2oes anyone think he will be asked about having worked in the US without permission? Is there a possibility that he might not get his Green Card regarding this issue?
Thanks a bunch for your help and your time!
Michelle
Hi Michelle

Those two questions are really hard to answer. Anything we say would be purely speculation. There's no way to know for sure. I would say:

1. It is entirely possible he might be asked at the interview, yes. He should be prepared just in case they do ask.

2. I don't know if this will affect him getting his green card in the future, but it might affect him getting his visa. Be prepared in case his visa is denied, and if they do deny it, the consulate will probably let you know what you would need to do as far as either filing a waiver or an appeal.

In Andrea's experience, it was not a problem at her AOS interview. That's a different interview than your hubby is having. His experience may or may not be like Andrea's. Be prepared for the worst case scenario, and go from there.

Best Wishes,
Rene