Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Curious about flying Dublin to US...

Wikiposts

Curious about flying Dublin to US...

Old Jun 11th 2008, 9:16 am
EJ3
Forum Regular

EJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Curious about flying Dublin to US...

Hi all,

Apologies if this is the wrong place for this particular thread.

I am curious about the apparent clearance it is possible to get if you fly to the USA from Dublin. Can anyone tell me how this works exactly?
Do you encounter US officers there who approve or deny entry before you even depart for the USA? Secondly, what would you say at POE when you reach the US?

Obviously I don't think it can improve chances of being granted entry but is the main plus of flying from Dublin simply time saving or another reason?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Old Jun 11th 2008, 9:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Curious about flying Dublin to US...

You get pre clearance flying through Ireland, Canada and possibly a couple other countries...basically you go through immigration before getting to the US.

The plus side for Ireland, it's a short flight back if your denied, the down side, because of that, they tend to be a bit more strict about things apparently.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 11:38 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EJ3
Do you encounter US officers there who approve or deny entry before you even depart for the USA?
Yes!

Secondly, what would you say at POE when you reach the US?
Nothing... you won't be talking to any immigration officers when you land in the US. Why? Because you did it all in Dublin. Works out nicely, doesn't it?

Ian
Old Jun 11th 2008, 7:21 pm
EJ3
Forum Regular

EJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the info. Yes, that seems like it would work out quite nicely. However, I live on the South East Coast of England so Dublin is a little further away for me than most of the London airports! Though if you weigh up the pros and cons, if I was approved entry it would save time on arrival in the US- and I might even be able to get an earlier connecting flight when I get there
Old Jun 11th 2008, 11:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EJ3
Thank you for the info. Yes, that seems like it would work out quite nicely. However, I live on the South East Coast of England so Dublin is a little further away for me than most of the London airports! Though if you weigh up the pros and cons, if I was approved entry it would save time on arrival in the US- and I might even be able to get an earlier connecting flight when I get there
It might save a little.

But you still go through customs in the US.

My fiance (now husband) went through Dublin a lot - just the peace of mind knowing he was cleared before he got on the plane. They were very nice to him.

Also... in the US, there might not be a flight back until the next day. So if not cleared... I believe you would be detained. Doesn't sound fun to me. At Dublin, if not cleared, you just walk away.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

English Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EJ3
You can also get pre-clearance in Shannon, not just Dublin.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 6:32 am
Just Joined

rdiamon1 will become famous soon enoughrdiamon1 will become famous soon enough

I flew back to the US from Dublin in February and did not clear immigration until the US. I was told back then that it is airline dependant (can't remember the airline I flew).
Old Jun 12th 2008, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

English Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond repute

I believe it is American Airlines passengers that don't do Immigration in Dublin but at their US destination.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:09 am
EJ3
Forum Regular

Those are interesting points.

Perhaps American owned airlines must still pass immigration in the US. It seems like Dublin is a popular place to fly from or maybe the Irish Tourist Board are just promoting Ireland really well in the US and therefore need more flights for that route.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

It's down to which terminal (pier) they use. Pier B is the only one at Dublin that has CBP and if a flight is going from any other pier there won't be pre-clearance.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
But you still go through customs in the US.
Really? That doesn't make any sense at all (although that is true of lots of things that USCIS does).

Pre-clearance from Canada into the US is always both Customs and Immigration precisely so that when the flights arrive in the US they go to the domestic terminals and connect direct other US flights.

What is the point of going through Immigration but not Customs in Dublin?
Old Jun 13th 2008, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Really? That doesn't make any sense at all (although that is true of lots of things that USCIS does).

Pre-clearance from Canada into the US is always both Customs and Immigration precisely so that when the flights arrive in the US they go to the domestic terminals and connect direct other US flights.

What is the point of going through Immigration but not Customs in Dublin?
Perhaps it depends on airport, but when Keith flew Aer Lingus to Dublin he went through immigration in Dublin, but customs in O'hare.

I guess the point is not being refused (and then detained!) in the US perhaps - not sure.

I'll double check with Keith in case I'm making a mistake, but I don't think so.