o try
to get a K1 visa?

As of late I am planning to go back to Cuba in January on a
humanitarian visa and marry her and apply for I130 & K3. Or do you
think that I should apply for K1?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Old Oct 14th 2003, 12:47 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hey

Hey there Keith!!

What state are you from?, If you are under Nebraska´s jurisdiction I recomend you to take the K3 route (Nebraska has a huge backlog on I-129´s fiancee applications ), plus if you didnt obtain an authorization to travel to Cuba.. and meet her "ilegally".. you wont be able to prove the meeting requirements for the k1. You could of course get an authorization and visit her on January as you planned.. and apply for a k1 visa.
By the way in order for her to get an immigrant visa she must get a "carta blanca" (Pay 850$ for it).. for more info.. I suggest you to check this URL http://usembassy.state.gov/havana/wwwhimm.html

Keep us posted
Old Oct 14th 2003, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

Please be careful with travel to Cuba. Our oh so wise 'president' is cracking down on travel to Cuba. I fully understand why you went (I want to go but am waiting on an EU passport) but the US could easily nail you as they will have a perfect paper trail.

This article was in the Washington Post recently

Bush Seeks Tighter Curb on Cuba Travel
President's Plan Draws Mixed Reaction on Hill

By Peter Slevin
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, October 11, 2003; Page A26

President Bush announced yesterday that his administration will work harder to identify and punish Americans who visit Cuba in violation of U.S. laws, whether they travel from the United States or through a third country.

Such travel only helps "prop up the dictator and his cronies," Bush said, referring to Cuban President Fidel Castro. "Clearly, the Castro regime will not change by its own choice, but Cuba must change."

The measures were among a set of policy refinements Bush announced to an invited audience of Castro opponents in the Rose Garden. The announcement, certain to resonate among Cuban Americans in the crucial electoral states of Florida and New Jersey, came as Bush steps up his reelection effort.

Bush also established a government committee to plan for Cuba's post-Castro future, naming Secretary of State Colin L. Powell and Housing and Urban Development Secretary Mel R. Martinez as co-chairmen. He said the administration will allow more Cubans to emigrate and will expand the U.S. distribution of radios and reading material in Cuba.

The measures, Bush said, are "only the beginning of a more robust effort to break through to the Cuban people."

In a Congress largely united on the desirability of transforming Cuba but seriously divided about how to achieve it, Bush's announcement drew calls for a follow-through from some quarters, but others, who belong to a bipartisan majority that favors more engagement after a 41-year-old embargo, criticized it.

"For more than 40 years now, our Cuba policy has had the same effect as beating our head against a wall. By tightening enforcement of the travel ban, we will essentially just be beating it harder," said Rep. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.).

"At some point," Flake continued, "we need to concede that our current approach has failed and try something new."

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman (Conn.) called for a hard-line approach, saying that Bush "must match his rhetoric on Cuba with strong action, something he has failed to do in the past."

Dagoberto Rodriguez, head of the Cuban Interests Section in Washington, spoke out against U.S. policy and the embargo at a news conference on Thursday. He called on the U.S. government to "stop acting like a lawless cowboy" and "stop making the policy toward Cuba a circus led by the Miami mafia."

The travel ban is a particularly sensitive subject. Supporters say that foreign visitors help perpetuate Castro's rule, but opponents counter that the presence of tourists undermines the Cuban leader by enriching ordinary Cubans culturally and financially.

About 200,000 Americans visit Cuba each year, an estimated one-third of them illegally. To travel legally, for such purposes as scientific programs or cultural exchanges, U.S. citizens must obtain licenses from the Treasury Department. Assistant Secretary of State Roger Noriega recently criticized some trips as little more than exotic holidays.

Bush said he had instructed the Department of Homeland Security to increase the questioning and inspection of travelers and shipments between Cuba and the United States. He also said the government will "target" people who travel to Cuba through third countries and those who reach Cuba illegally on private boats.

The travel crackdown, Bush said, will also weaken Cuba's prostitution trade. He called the business "a modern form of slavery which is encouraged by the Cuban government."

For those who favor an opening to Cuba, the Castro government's arrest of 75 independent journalists and activists in April complicated matters. Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Richard G. Lugar (R-Ind.) declared at a hearing last week that U.S. strategy toward Cuba "has not worked" and asserted that increased travel would infuse the island with fresh ideas.

"Opening up to Cuba now, however, would send the wrong signal, appearing to reward Castro for his crackdown, and it would be too divisive here at home," Lugar said. He called for a "rational end" to the travel restrictions, but "at an appropriate time."

Bush told his audience yesterday that he had already given Castro a chance by pledging to relax U.S. policy if Cuba held free elections and permitted more private enterprise.

"Elections in Cuba are still a sham," Bush said. "Opposition groups still organize and meet at their own peril. Private economic activity is still strangled. Non-government trade unions are still oppressed and suppressed. Property rights are still ignored."

Former Soviet president Mikhail Gorbachev, the architect of policies that dramatically changed the Soviet Union, called last week in Miami for the United States to expand contacts and exchanges with Cuba.

Powell, asked about Gorbachev's views during an Oct. 3 interview with The Washington Post, defended the administration's approach.

"This isn't the Soviet Union in 1987 and '88," Powell said. Gorbachev "realized that change had to come, and he was willing to lead that change. Castro is quite the contrary. He has used openings not to benefit his people. He has used openings to enhance his power."

Powell also said that Europeans, Latin Americans and Canadians who invested heavily in Cuba in the 1990s and traveled there by the thousands did not appreciably improve Cubans' lives.

"Well, guess what?" Powell said. "They not only pulled back from those investments, they didn't help anybody, they helped the regime. And we think there is a body of evidence that suggests this is not the way to deal with Castro."
Old Oct 14th 2003, 4:02 am
Mrtravel

Default Re: Cuban fiance and K1, K3 visa questions for US citizen

Keith wrote:

> Hello, I am new to this group. I know that some of my questions have
    > been posted before but not recently.
    >
    > I would like to get some information on the cost and process that
    > needs to
    > take place to marry a Cuban national that I met while on vacation in
    > Havana (without a license).

Hire an attorney familiar with Cuban travel violations. You have a
special circumstance. At some point, to be honest with USCIS or the
State Dept, you are going to have to disclose how you met. This could be
a problem since you illegally went to Cuba. Whether you decide on K1,
K3, or CR1, do NOT lie to USCIS or the US State Dept.

Old Oct 14th 2003, 5:31 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Oh my..

oh my :scared: .. I didnt know there was actually such a big problem to travel to Cuba from the US. We dont have that problem here, you can travel to Cuba whenever you want without any authorizations. It is not fair that Americans having cuban fiancees or wives has to go thru all this hassle, Cubans that want to migrate to the USA has to pay 850 $ for what is called "carta blanca" so they can actually start doing a migrating process such as k3 or k1.. That is crap..
Just my opinion though