Wikiposts

Credit coming down

Old Aug 7th 2002, 9:57 am

Default Credit coming down

I am a Canadian that has been living in hte US for about a year, today I got 3 phone
calls from some credit company from Canada that i stopped paying saying they were
moving my accoutn down here. Can they do that ? How did they find out were I lived,
I never use my SIN anymore. Can they transfer the debt to my new SSN ? Never heard of
this happening before

Old Aug 7th 2002, 10:14 am
Mrtravel@Sbcglobal

Default Re: Credit coming down

"[email protected]" wrote:
    > I am a Canadian that has been living in hte US for about a year, today I got 3
    > phone calls from some credit company from Canada that i stopped paying saying they
    > were moving my accoutn down here. Can they do that ? How did they find out were I
    > lived, I never use my SIN anymore. Can they transfer the debt to my new SSN ? Never
    > heard of this happening before

Of course they can. Leaving Canada doesn't stop the debt. If they wanted to, they
could sue you. Just because suing across international boundaries isn't efficient
does make it not possible.

Old Aug 7th 2002, 11:35 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit coming down

Originally posted by [email protected]
I am a Canadian that has been living in hte US for about a year, today I got 3 phone
calls from some credit company from Canada that i stopped paying saying they were
moving my accoutn down here. Can they do that ? How did they find out were I lived,
I never use my SIN anymore. Can they transfer the debt to my new SSN ? Never heard of
this happening before
I can tell you from experience that when my now Canadian crossed the border with his K-1 visa, he had not told Revenue Canada that he was moving nor did he change status to Non-Resident. But within a year he received a letter from Revenue Canada at his US address advising him that he had to complete the enclosed form to formalize his non-residency status. How did they know? How did they get the address? From the US government.

Even if you didn't come here with a visa and you entered and are living here illegally, computer databases apparently are shared between our computers. You've been caught whether it was by computer, Visa or family/friend informants.

Pay up

Rete