Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

CR1 Visa success today in London! Here's our day at the embassy...

Wikiposts

CR1 Visa success today in London! Here's our day at the embassy...

Old Oct 26th 2010, 9:21 am
Just Joined

jamiedan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CR1 Visa success today in London! Here's our day at the embassy...

We petitioned at the beginning of June and today had our visa approved, should have it within a week. For those interested in the interview process, this was our day:-

08:00 Dropped off our mobile phones at Goulds pharmacy around the corner from the embassy - cost £3.
08:10 Quickly through security line
08:20 Assigned a line number and took a seat in the waiting room....waited...there were two windows dealing with Immigrant visas taking around 15 mins each per line number (most windows were for non-immigrant visas)
10:00 After 90 mins or so, our number came up. Went to the window where we were asked to present all documents. Had fingerprints taken. Instructed to go to the cashier desk to pay ($404.) No questions asked at this stage. Asked to return to the waiting room.
10:20 Took seat in waiting room again. Two further windows dealt with the second stage of the process. About 30 minutes wait whilst the official we were about to see checked over and familiarised themselves with our case.
10:50 Called to the window. Went through the finger prints procedure again (I guess as a security procedure?!) Female official asked why we (my wife was with me) wanted to move to America. Where did we intend to move to? As the financial guarantee of the i-864 was based on the value in my house, when did I intend to put it on the market? When did we intend to move to the US? And that was it. She then said she was going to approve the Visa.
11:00 Went to the Courier desk where we paid £14.50 and were told the Visa would be delivered within a week.
11:10 Walked out of the embassy!

So all in all, pretty smooth. The two areas I thought they might push us on were the domicile, but as my wife has been a student until recently and we had the appropriate documents this was never questioned; and the assets as my wife has no earnings. As I said they brought up my house but that was it. I had a joint sponsor i-864 (my father in law) in my bag but never felt the need to pull it out.

Happy days!
Old Oct 26th 2010, 10:34 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CR1 Visa success today in London! Here's our day at the embassy...

Originally Posted by jamiedan
As the financial guarantee of the i-864 was based on the value in my house, when did I intend to put it on the market?

...and the assets as my wife has no earnings. As I said they brought up my house but that was it. I had a joint sponsor i-864 (my father in law) in my bag but never felt the need to pull it out.
Congratulations! Very interesting that they allowed the future sale of your house as an asset on the I-864, and did not require a joint sponsor. That has not been the norm lately.

Rene
Old Oct 26th 2010, 11:46 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, jamiedan!!
Wow, 5 months, just on target. Well done!
Old Oct 26th 2010, 9:26 pm
C_C
Forum Regular

C_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud of

Congrats and happy moving!!
I'm seriously impressed that they accepted the projected value of your property as proof for the I-864! As Rene says, they've been more reluctant than not to recognize property as an easily-liquidable asset in the past couple of years, due to the insecure financial climate. Usually they'd recommend using some other route (e.g. a joint sponsor or different sort of assets).
But well done!