Reload this Page >

CR1 visa holder moving to the US

CR1 visa holder moving to the US

Old Sep 17th 2018, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

jt365 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CR1 visa holder moving to the US

Hi,

I have my CR1 visa and green card and am in the process of interviewing for jobs in the US.

Is there a reasonable time that you can be out of the country and not residing in US before it becomes an issue? I have seen reports that you should be residing in the US within 6 months of receiving your visa?

Thanks,

John
Old Sep 17th 2018, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CR1 visa holder moving to the US

As an LPR your primary residence should be the USA. I believe you can only use the green card for reentry within 1 year of departing.
Old Sep 17th 2018, 4:03 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The purpose of the visa is to allow you to enter and reside in the US on a permanent basis. It is not uncommon for someone to enter the US for the purpose of activating their visa and the green card can be sent to your spouse at their US address, if they are not living with you in the UK but are living in the US already. You need to enter the US usually six months after the visa is obtain or before the expiration date of the medical if it comes before that timeline.

How long can you live outside of the US and successfully retain your PR status. One day is all that is needed to have it taken from you and then again, as mentioned others have come to the US, activated the visa, left to return home to close up their affairs and then permanently return. Rule of thumb is not be out of the US for more than 6 months.

Job hunting long distance is an difficult, arduous and very expensive business. You would probably be better served to do your job search while living in the US rather than outside of it. If you are dependent on your earnings to make a go of it, financially things will be very difficult.

PS You CANNOT have both a CR-1 visa and a green card. You have one or the other, not both.
Old Sep 17th 2018, 5:17 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen reports that you should be residing in the US within 6 months of receiving your visa?
LPR status is for just that, residing in the US. With respect to the visa, it will expire 6 months from the date of the medical, so you MUST have entered the US and activated the visa before that date. If you attend the medical 2 months before you get your visa, then your visa will only have 4 months validity or it will expire and you must start over again.
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

jt365 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I activated my CR1 in July and returned to UK. I then travelled back to US in August without issue for a holiday. I now intend to be permanently back in the US in November which would be around 3 months since last visit. I am hoping this is sufficient to pass any review.