Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

CR1 Interview Review - Today

CR1 Interview Review - Today

Old Jun 18th 2013, 9:31 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CR1 Interview Review - Today

Yep
Old Jun 18th 2013, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Carlisle401 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good news! Safe journey and the very best to you.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 10:12 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Its awhile yet - ticket is booked for August 21st
Old Jun 18th 2013, 10:45 am
2+2=5

GarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the rough

Good to hear you're all set to go. I'm hoping to a use large part of the six months after the medical. I need the paychecks!

I'm going to Miami on August 1st to 5th for a friends wedding. My current ESTA runs out on August 10th! Being half way through the I130 I would rather not have to renew it but I'm worried about it being so close to the expiry!
Old Jun 18th 2013, 12:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarethB789
I would rather not have to renew it but I'm worried about it being so close to the expiry!
You are worrying needlessly. ESTA is valid until the day it expires... and there are no travel restrictions even up to the last day of validity.

Ian
Old Jun 18th 2013, 12:58 pm
2+2=5

GarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the reassurance Ian.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 6:50 am
Just Joined

londondude is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by civilservant
Will do. CEAC shows it has been printed, but DX told me that its about 10 days at the moment before they get the package to deliver.
forgive my ignorance but what does CEAC mean? Were you able to somehow look it up so see whether the visa was printed? I didn't think you could do that with london applications.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

robUK81 is a jewel in the roughrobUK81 is a jewel in the roughrobUK81 is a jewel in the roughrobUK81 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by londondude
forgive my ignorance but what does CEAC mean? Were you able to somehow look it up so see whether the visa was printed? I didn't think you could do that with london applications.
Consular Electronic Application Center.
https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx?
Old Jun 25th 2013, 7:43 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by londondude
forgive my ignorance but what does CEAC mean?
Is Google broken?

Ian
Old Jun 25th 2013, 7:56 am
Just Joined

Nick in Italy is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck CivilServant and thanks for all your help helping us in these months.

Happy travels!
Old Jun 25th 2013, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Scheduled Interview Time: 9.30, June 12th 2013

Arrived at the Embassy at 7.30 on the button, having left my electronics and rucksack with the hotel I stayed in the night before (Wigmore Court Hotel – good value for money by the way) and there were probably about 20 people already queued. After having my letter checked and passport verified I headed through a small hut where airport style security (think luggage scans and a metal detector) is in effect. Apparently watches also need to be scanned, didn’t know that previously.

Directed around to reception, where I was given the number I-902. Only the second Immigrant applicant of the day, which I would suggest allowed for very speedy service. Was sat down in chairs waiting by 7.40, it is clear that they do not begin to see people until 8am – although the small area for snacks is already open and receiving customers.

As the numbers begin to be called, most are N numbers for the first five minutes, then I-901 is called and shortly I am called too, around 8.06. The I-visa booths are not on the front next to the waiting chairs, you have to round a corner to a more private area. Met with a young-ish British man who proceeded to go through my Civil Documents, and cue a heart attack –

- As you may know, after my medical I needed to do have a follow up with the GP. The man asked me if I had had my medical yet, because the results were not in the package and there was nothing on the computer to say they had been received. My heart sank; I thought I wouldn’t be getting the visa today. He went away, and was gone about 10 minutes. Every second of that 10 minutes felt like an hour….

….. Luckily all was well, because I had had my medical in advance of the package being received at the Embassy, it went into a separate drawer and the two had just not been married up. Phew! I don’t mind telling you that in that moment I was more than a little concerned! Everything was fine with documents however, and he didn’t even ask for the original tax returns (which I have read they have with others) I had my X-Ray CD returned to me to take upon entry and soon I was back in the chairs with the pink form to fill out for DX secure delivery.

This was about 8.25.

Before I knew it my number was being called again at 8.40. I hadn’t even had a chance to pick up the book I had brought with me to read. To be fair I couldn't read anyway, the fear of missing the call for your number pretty much prevents that. Soon I was in front of a young African-American women who explained that she would ask some questions etc. while rifling through my paperwork. It was more formal than I have read of others, and it did seem more like I was being asked to prove something rather than it being conversational. Not a problem really, just felt different than I was expecting. On the flip wide, she didn't ask to see any evidence - not even the copious number of photos that had been lugged all the way from Commerce, GA

Questions asked:

- How did you meet, and where did you meet in person for the first time?
- Explain how your relationship progressed from that initial meeting.
- Describe your wedding ceremony
- Who was there
- What is your relationship to the Joint Sponsor
- Does your wife have any siblings
- Names and how old are they, where is your wife in the line up?

The last question I actually got wrong! I said she was the middle one, before correcting myself that she was the oldest of the three. I think the Officer understood that it was a genuine mistake, since she said in a joking way that she wouldn’t tell my wife I got it wrong…

And then came the words we all want to hear….. “I’ll be approving this visa, and you are free to travel to the US as soon as you have your passport back from the courier”

I thanked her for her time and for making things so painless, before going to the DX counter to pay for delivery…. I was in and out inside an hour! I am now sat in McDonalds taking advantage of the free WiFi as my train back to Somerset is not until 4pm.

So thank you to everyone who has given help to myself and Optomistic Girl over the last year, and I hope that I can continue to give back in the future as I shall remain on BE. Flight booked for August 21st, US here we come!

(Now it's your turn Speedwell )
Congrats, great feeling Isnt it?

Reading your post was like reliving mine especially with the medical file not being there and it sounds like the same young british lad who I saw first also, but I guess the ancillary workers are brit and many!

I had the same sort of questions especially about my wifes kids, how many and how old they are, the woman IO i got was very pleasant, made me feel comfortable and was great chatting with her and we had the odd chuckle, bit of an anti climax to the whole process, but glad you made it through it all, seems like the hardest part is now over.

They say allow 2 weeks to get your passport back, but I got mine back within 3 working days!

Safe travels!