Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

CR-1 vs. K-1, and previous "I" visa app?

CR-1 vs. K-1, and previous "I" visa app?

Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

michigan_jim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CR-1 vs. K-1, and previous "I" visa app?

After my now-infamous botched attempt at the K-1 (LOL)...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=628516

... my fiancee and I are re-considering our options, in ref. to the K-1 vs. the CR-1.

I know the K-1 gets her here faster (pro), but then she faces up to 3 months' forced unemployment (con). Also, I can start (re-start!!!) the K-1 any time (pro), whereas the CR-1 can only be started after we get married (minor con against the CR-1; I say minor because if we go this route, she can come over on VWP probably mid to late October... just saw $540 fare for London-Detroit).

So, can anyone give any other pros/cons for the K-1 vs. the CR-1?

Also, my fiancee previously applied for an immigrant visa on basis of sibling about 8 years ago (her sister is a US citizen, has lived here for approx. 20 yrs). It is technically still an "open" case, AFAIK. Does she now need to officially "abandon" that case? And if the answer to that is "yes", does it apply to both the K-1 and the CR-1?

Thanks in advance!

-- Jim
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CR-1 vs. K-1, and previous "I" visa app?

Hi,

One difference that strikes me is that with the CR-1 you can plan a wedding 'properly' - when you want, at the pace you want and all completely on your own terms.

With the K1 you can make tentative plans and can aim for a general window of time - but -a person would be very unwise to make any firm plans until the visa in in hand. Then, of course, you must get married within 90 days arrival in the USA.

Last edited by YouWantFriesWithThat; Sep 2nd 2009 at 5:56 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by YouWantFriesWithThat
Hi,

One difference that strikes me is that with the CR-1 you can plan a wedding 'properly' - when you want, at the pace you want and all on completely your own terms.

With the K1 you can make tentaive plans but would be very unwise to make firm plans until the visa in in hand. Then, of course, you must get married within 90 days arrival in the USA.
That is a good point. Not quite applicable to us, since it's 2nd marriage for her and 3rd for me, and we have decided (really, she decided, but I have no preference and so it was easy for me to acquiesce) that we would just have a small ceremony at city hall, and maybe a dinner for relatives afterwards.

However, I am glad that you raised the point, in case someone else reads this thread and it might apply to their situation. I fully subscribe to the notion that this forum is not only an active board, but also a knowledge base for future users. Thanks!
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michigan_jim
Also, my fiancee previously applied for an immigrant visa on basis of sibling about 8 years ago (her sister is a US citizen, has lived here for approx. 20 yrs). It is technically still an "open" case, AFAIK. Does she now need to officially "abandon" that case? And if the answer to that is "yes", does it apply to both the K-1 and the CR-1?
No, she does not need to abandon the ongoing sibling case. Once she actually becomes a PR through marriage to you, she can notify NVC that she no longer needs to have that open case, and they can close it, letting the next person in line inch forward into the space she leaves behind.

Rene
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't mind waiting another couple of months to get married and start the immigration process then, I would say the CR-1 is the superior visa, because it means she becomes a PR upon entry to the USA, with no further paperwork involved to get her green card, which means she can become a USC even more quickly than with the K-1 entry (if becoming a USC is a goal, that is).

Getting married at the end of October 2009 would mean she'd be moving to the USA around June - August 2010.

Rene
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 6:02 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

m_j,

Given that the long-term unemployment rate and the average time to find a job are at record high levels, I'm not so sure that the typical 3 months time it takes to get EA is all that significant these days.

Regards, JEff

I know the K-1 gets her here faster (pro), but then she faces up to 3 months' forced unemployment (con).
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 6:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Since you ask, the CR-1 visa is a lot *less* expensive!

Ian
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

search this form for "CR1 vs K1" many people have asked this question before.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PepsiChic
search this form for "CR1 vs K1" many people have asked this question before.
That is true, and I've read a great number of those. I reiterated what I recalled, and was wondering if there was anything I may have missed, or something that maybe nobody had ever posted about it before.

I previously made the mistake of *ONLY* reading messages, instead of reading ~and~ asking questions, so I am trying to improve my process.

Thanks.