Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

CR-1 success with police caution!

Wikiposts

CR-1 success with police caution!

Old Jun 14th 2010, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Jen3 is just really niceJen3 is just really niceJen3 is just really niceJen3 is just really niceJen3 is just really niceJen3 is just really niceJen3 is just really niceJen3 is just really nice
Default CR-1 success with police caution!

I just wanted to post something quick about me and my husband's experience with the marriage visa process. We did DCF in London as we were both living there at the time. We filled out all the paperwork ourselves with the help of the expat forum to answer a few. The only thing we were ever worried about was that my husband had a police caution from nearly 10 years ago for slapping a police officer. However, we had absolutely no problems at all. We did speak to lawyer before the interview, but she said there was nothing really to worry about. During my husband interview he was just asked a few questions; how did we meet; how long did we live together in the UK;where was I now and what was I doing; then the question we were dreading...so can you tell me about this police caution. So, my husband explained that he slapped a police officer after he had been drinking a little when he was younger ( and that is what it said on his extended police report) anyway, the guy started laughing and said oh sorry I had to ask. Then he said well everything is in order and welcome to America, just don't slap an immigration officer on your way through.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 11:15 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CR-1 success with police caution!

Originally Posted by Jen3
So, my husband explained that he slapped a police officer after he had been drinking a little when he was younger ( and that is what it said on his extended police report) anyway, the guy started laughing and said oh sorry I had to ask. Then he said well everything is in order and welcome to America, just don't slap an immigration officer on your way through.
LOL, it's wonderful when you get a friendly ConOff like that. Congratulations!

Rene
Old Jun 14th 2010, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Jen3 is just really niceJen3 is just really niceJen3 is just really niceJen3 is just really niceJen3 is just really niceJen3 is just really niceJen3 is just really niceJen3 is just really nice

Yes it is. I think my husband was more surprised that the guy made a joke then actually getting his visa!
Old Jun 14th 2010, 12:11 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is. I think my husband was more surprised that the guy made a joke then actually getting his visa!
LOL. Our ConOff did something similar, as she was looking through all our photos of us together. Our interview was in 2004, but we had a picture of us together in 1997. The Officer called a couple of other people over to look at that photo, and she commented how different we looked "back then". I said "yes, see what the immigration process does to you? It ages you!!" She laughed a lot and agreed with me. LOL

Rene
Old Jun 14th 2010, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

LOL. Just glad it's all over. I don't ever want to do that again.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

fantastic story well done!
Old Jun 17th 2010, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

fromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to all

I went through a similar bout of anguish prior to my interview. I actually have a conviction for (a very minor) assault dating back 12 years. To make matters worse, the court where I was convicted no longer exists and on investigation found that court records of that age were destroyed and that only a summary the same as appears on the Police Certificate is held on computer.
Having rehearsed all sorts of answers to scenarios in my head, the ConOff just asked "Is this your only offence?" (which it is) I replied "Yes ma'am", and she moved on.....
No questions were asked about the absence of the Court Record, it just appeared as "Document Unavailable" on my checklist.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

Great story too. I hear you though, it was almost a let down at the interview...oh is that all you want to ask me about that? huh. Ok then...yeah! I think police records are hard to find which is kind of funny. When my husband phoned up to try and get more details about his caution, the policeman he talked to laughed at him and said good luck. Oh well, it's all done now and he arrives in the USA in about .....oh....3 hours!!!
Old Jun 17th 2010, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

fromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to all

Oh well, it's all done now and he arrives in the USA in about .....oh....3 hours!!!
That's great news. I wish you both all the very best.