Wikiposts

CR-1 Step by step

Old Nov 21st 2009, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

twodice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CR-1 Step by step

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
a) You've cottoned on to that - good.

b) Do what I did. I was almost convinced I'd need a lawyer to help me do it properly. But then I did nothing but read up on the process for a week, on both this site and visajourney.com. After that, it doesn't seem so daunting.

We completed the process with no issues.
Just another quick question from having read thoss links

Where it mentions
# Evidence of a bona fide marriage (as per Section 7 of the I-130 instructions). You should submit one or more of thefollowing types of documentation that may evidence that bonafides of your marriage:

1) Documentation showing joint ownership or property; or

2) A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence; or

3) Documentation showing co-mingling of financial resources; or

4) Birth certificate(s) of child(ren) born to you, the petitioner, and your spouse together; or

5) Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship (Each affidavit must contain the full name and address, date and place of birth of the person making the affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner of beneficiary, if any, and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge of your marriage); or

6) Any other relevant documentation to establish that there is an ongoing marital union.

I would have none of those to hand, just simple fly over, get married do the photos for the paperwork and bring my birth certificate and hand it over. The affidavit we might be able to do but not 100% sure.

Are there any alternatives?
Old Nov 21st 2009, 2:03 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

td,

You can start co-mingling finances right away after marriage, so don't count that one out. Maybe even before (start a joint bank account).

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by twodice
Just another quick question from having read thoss links

Where it mentions
# Evidence of a bona fide marriage (as per Section 7 of the I-130 instructions). You should submit one or more of thefollowing types of documentation that may evidence that bonafides of your marriage:

1) Documentation showing joint ownership or property; or

2) A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence; or

3) Documentation showing co-mingling of financial resources; or

4) Birth certificate(s) of child(ren) born to you, the petitioner, and your spouse together; or

5) Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship (Each affidavit must contain the full name and address, date and place of birth of the person making the affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner of beneficiary, if any, and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge of your marriage); or

6) Any other relevant documentation to establish that there is an ongoing marital union.

I would have none of those to hand, just simple fly over, get married do the photos for the paperwork and bring my birth certificate and hand it over. The affidavit we might be able to do but not 100% sure.

Are there any alternatives?
Old Nov 21st 2009, 2:30 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

The affidavits are popular with newlyweds. No one knows about your relationship?

Here's the 'magic language': http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...38&postcount=4
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
The affidavits are popular with newlyweds. No one knows about your relationship?

Here's the 'magic language': http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...38&postcount=4
They do, i was planning on going out there, getting married and coming home, a holiday of about 7-10 days. Our friends know but they are scattered around the country when I will visit (during spring break)

I planned on getting married and then sending off the forms staight away but it seems like I may have to wait to gather everything before we can file, do I have to be in the country to file?
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 6:06 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

They do, i was planning on going out there, getting married and coming home, a holiday of about 7-10 days. Our friends know but they are scattered around the country when I will visit (during spring break)

I planned on getting married and then sending off the forms staight away but it seems like I may have to wait to gather everything before we can file, do I have to be in the country to file?
No, you do not have to be in the USA at the time the USC files the I-130. Perhaps after your married you can open a joint bank account and do a few other things to show the mingling of life together. The USC can file the I-130 as soon as all the evidence and backup documents are collected, whether you're in the USA at the time or not.

Rene
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 6:23 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

It may take a couple/few weeks to get the recorded marriage certificate (required) anyway, yes?

Often, the foriegn spouse would not be in the US when the I-130 is filed (what if you married outside the US?). No, you do not need to be in the US when your spouse files her I-130.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 4:23 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

.... do I have to be in the country to file?
If this was a requirement there are a lot of alien spouses who would never have been able to immigrate.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
If this was a requirement there are a lot of alien spouses who would never have been able to immigrate.
One final quick question, once the visa is issued, what is the maximum time until it is no good, i.e is there a deadline like the k-1 visa for me to enter the country once it is authorised?
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 2:31 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

One final quick question, once the visa is issued, what is the maximum time until it is no good, i.e is there a deadline like the k-1 visa for me to enter the country once it is authorised?
Six months.

Rene
Old Jan 16th 2010, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Six months.

Rene
Evening all

Thought id throw an update in here,

Been talking and debating a while now and looks like were going to push it back and elope in july, need to save up for the year and preapre for the worst job market wise, so will be trying to update frequently with any questions and gives me a long time to prepare all my paperwork.