Wikiposts

CR-1 Step by step

Old Nov 18th 2009, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

twodice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CR-1 Step by step

Evening all, have searched (CR-1, cr1, immigrant visa) and read the wiki link up top.

What is the correct way of doing the CR-1, I would marry my USC in march, she would file an I-130 then what would happen and the costs of it all? I expect the process to take 8-10 months. Just need the detailed step so i know what im getting into and the action I have to take and my USC has to take. I know you guys / girls don't have much time so any help you can provide is appreciated.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 9:56 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CR-1 Step by step

Originally Posted by twodice
Evening all, have searched (CR-1, cr1, immigrant visa) and read the wiki link up top.
You say you've read the wiki, right? All the answers are there.

What is the correct way of doing the CR-1...
It's all in the wiki.

Ian
Old Nov 18th 2009, 10:02 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

What is the correct way of doing the CR-1, I would marry my USC in march, she would file an I-130 then what would happen and the costs of it all? I expect the process to take 8-10 months. Just need the detailed step so i know what im getting into and the action I have to take and my USC has to take. I know you guys / girls don't have much time so any help you can provide is appreciated.
Check out these links as well, to answer your questions:

http://www.familybasedimmigration.co...hread.php?t=12
http://www.familybasedimmigration.co...aflowchart.php
http://www.familybasedimmigration.com/forum/nvc.php

Rene
Old Nov 18th 2009, 10:07 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever happened with your J-1 visa pursuit? Did that not pan out?

Rene
Old Nov 18th 2009, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Whatever happened with your J-1 visa pursuit? Did that not pan out?

Rene
The J-1 was rock solid, and the AOS would have taken some time, and I would have had to reutrn home and start the process, means a test of the relationship which is a good thing but sucks most times!

I also think we were not ready for the commitment just yet at that stage but now being back in London feels like a step back compared to NYC (even if it was staten island) Ive just graduated and will need some experience to get a job out there too so I think the wait was needed. The CR-1 seems like the most cost effective and easiest solution, the instant work authorisation and cheaper cost win for me. I am unsure of the stages and paperwork though, is this something I and my USC can complete on our own comfortably?

For example would the process be sped up in respect to background checks as I have been issued a J-1 recently (2009) ?

Last edited by twodice; Nov 18th 2009 at 10:21 am.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 10:30 am

I also think we were not ready for the commitment just yet at that stage
Very wise of you not to pursue marriage at that time if you weren't ready. Kudos to you on that!

I am unsure of the stages and paperwork though, is this something I and my USC can complete on our own comfortably?
I provided more links showing details on the steps. If you and your USC are comfortable doing paperwork, paying attention to detail, can keep accurate records, have patience, and have no past issues of overstays or criminal activity, then you can probably do it on your own. Many do. Many use an attorney. It's really up to you, what you think you can handle. I'd say it's not difficult, but it is time consuming and detailed.

For example would the process be sped up in respect to background checks as I have been issued a J-1 recently (2009) ?
No, nothing can speed up the process. Background checks are done from scratch.

Rene
Old Nov 18th 2009, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

Very wise of you not to pursue marriage at that time if you weren't ready. Kudos to you on that!

I provided more links showing details on the steps. If you and your USC are comfortable doing paperwork, paying attention to detail, can keep accurate records, have patience, and have no past issues of overstays or criminal activity, then you can probably do it on your own. Many do. Many use an attorney. It's really up to you, what you think you can handle. I'd say it's not difficult, but it is time consuming and detailed.

No, nothing can speed up the process. Background checks are done from scratch.

Rene
Due to fraud taking place at my previous place of work, I will be voluntarily going into the police station and giving a statement about members of staff. would this constitute as trouble or involvement with the police? the officer has advised this will not be the case and will have a letter for me advising the US government of this. My thinking is that this would not show and I should not declare it ? is that right?
Old Nov 18th 2009, 11:01 am

Due to fraud taking place at my previous place of work, I will be voluntarily going into the police station and giving a statement about members of staff. would this constitute as trouble or involvement with the police? the officer has advised this will not be the case and will have a letter for me advising the US government of this. My thinking is that this would not show and I should not declare it ? is that right?
As long as you aren't the one being arrested or convicted of anything, you should be fine, as far as I know.

Rene
Old Nov 18th 2009, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

As long as you aren't the one being arrested or convicted of anything, you should be fine, as far as I know.

Rene
From reading the flowchart, who should the choice of agent be in an ideal situation? Or does this have no effect?

Last edited by twodice; Nov 18th 2009 at 11:31 am.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 11:49 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

From reading the flowchart, who should the choice of agent be in an ideal situation? Or does this have no effect?
Most people choose the US citizen petitioner as Agent for fastest mail delivery.

Be sure to read up (not included in those guides) on the new, electronic submission procedures. Your Consulate may be online with that. Certainly by understanding and preparing for the NVC steps, you can accelerate your process there.

You will have 4-6 months waiting for I-130 approval to prepare for the next set of steps.

The visa you'll apply for is an "immigrant visa". There is a ton of detail and step by step instuctions for this on the London website.
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/iv/index.html
Old Nov 18th 2009, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
Most people choose the US citizen petitioner as Agent for fastest mail delivery.

Be sure to read up (not included in those guides) on the new, electronic submission procedures. Your Consulate may be online with that. Certainly by understanding and preparing for the NVC steps, you can accelerate your process there.

You will have 4-6 months waiting for I-130 approval to prepare for the next set of steps.

The visa you'll apply for is an "immigrant visa". There is a ton of detail and step by step instuctions for this on the London website.
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/iv/index.html
One more question would be that she (the USC) has a job starting in october 2010 at over $50k, would this suffice for my support assessment or would we have to get an affadavit of support from her family ontop? Her tax returns would still show her being a student.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 12:03 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

One more question would be that she (the USC) has a job starting in october 2010 at over $50k, would this suffice for my support assessment or would we have to get an affadavit of support from her family ontop? Her tax returns would still show her being a student.
A thorough answer to your question takes more than I'm willing to give right now. The answer is in the link I gave you, and won't be required for months yet.

The answer is: it depends.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 12:37 pm

Very basically, it depends when you have your interview. If you have your visa interview before she is earning that amount, then she'll need a joint sponsor. If you have your visa interview after she earns that amount, then she might be fine alone. However, they can ask to see the most recently 3 years of tax returns, and if she hasn't consistently earned above the poverty level, then they could still require a joint sponsor.

Rene
Old Nov 18th 2009, 3:10 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

td,

The choice for you depends on your situation - is your situation ideal?

Nobody know your situation better than you, this is one of many questions that you will have to answer for yourself.

Regards, JEff

Old Nov 19th 2009, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

a) The CR-1 seems like the most cost effective and easiest solution, the instant work authorisation and cheaper cost win for me.

b) I am unsure of the stages and paperwork though, is this something I and my USC can complete on our own comfortably?
a) You've cottoned on to that - good.

b) Do what I did. I was almost convinced I'd need a lawyer to help me do it properly. But then I did nothing but read up on the process for a week, on both this site and visajourney.com. After that, it doesn't seem so daunting.

We completed the process with no issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.