Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

CR-1 interview checklist for review

CR-1 interview checklist for review

Old Apr 22nd 2018, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

fenbristol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CR-1 interview checklist for review

So my CR-1 interview is a week from tomorrow! I've spent some time going through my documents today and I'm fairly confident I have everything, but it would be great to get confirmation from the community here.

To recap: Myself and my wife have filed DCF here in the UK and we're using my father-in-law as a sponsor.

The documents I plan to provide:
- My passport
- 2 US-sized photos
- Courier confirmation letter
- My birth certificate (plus copy)
- My wife's birth certificate (plus copy)
- Our marriage certificate (plus copy)
- Police certificate (plus copy)

Wife's I-864, including:
- 2017 tax return
- 6 months' pay stubs
- Letter explaining lack of 2016/2015 tax returns (she was a student and didn't earn enough to file)
- Copy of her US passport

Father-in-law's I-864 (Only Joint Sponsor), including:
- 2017 Tax return and W2
- 2016 Tax transcript
- 2015 Tax transcript
- 6 months' pay stubs
- Copy of his US passport

In addition, I'll also have the following with me just in case:

Evidence of our ongoing relationship, including:
- 6 Photographs from our wedding and past trips etc.
- Our joint tenancy agreement
- A couple of utility bills addressed jointly to us
Evidence of our intent to establish domicile
- My job offer letter
- A letter from the in-laws confirming that we will be staying with them when we arrive
- Recent statements from my wifes US checking and investment accounts

And that's everything! Is there anything obvious that I'm missing?
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 6:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CR-1 interview checklist for review

A very detailed and comprehensive list.

Materials for the ongoing marriage and the issue of intent to establish domicile in the US will 99.99% not be asked for but nice to have if you get a trainee officer who does.

A suggestion is to place it in a redweld (accordion type container) with dividers that indicate where each document is.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 10:21 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you're good to go. I'm confident that you won't be required to provide evidence of a bona fide relationship with your wife, especially as you have been living together in the U.K. I've yet to read an interview review from anyone who went through the London - or any other Western European - embassy who was asked to provide this at the interview. But it'll be interesting to read later if you were asked to show this or not.

You could well be required to provide the evidence of intention by your wife to re-establish domicile in order for the I-864 to be valid. It is listed on the interview checklist. DCF cases do need that. If your wife has already moved back, that's easily taken care of.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 7:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
A very detailed and comprehensive list.

Materials for the ongoing marriage and the issue of intent to establish domicile in the US will 99.99% not be asked for but nice to have if you get a trainee officer who does.

A suggestion is to place it in a redweld (accordion type container) with dividers that indicate where each document is.
Thanks! I think you're right, I'm not expecting to be asked for relationship evidence, but I'll be more confident knowing I have it with me – just in case.

I've got my paperwork organised into separate folders in a sensible order, so should be good on that front.

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
Sounds like you're good to go. I'm confident that you won't be required to provide evidence of a bona fide relationship with your wife, especially as you have been living together in the U.K. I've yet to read an interview review from anyone who went through the London - or any other Western European - embassy who was asked to provide this at the interview. But it'll be interesting to read later if you were asked to show this or not.

You could well be required to provide the evidence of intention by your wife to re-establish domicile in order for the I-864 to be valid. It is listed on the interview checklist. DCF cases do need that. If your wife has already moved back, that's easily taken care of.
Thanks, I'll be sure to post and update after the interview with my experience.

The evidence of my wife's intent to re-establish domicile is not on any interview checklist I've seen – It is defined in the I-864 instructions though (required if you provide anything other than the US as your current domicile). My wife is still here in the UK with me, and will travel to the States at the same time I do. Do you think what I have will be enough?
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 12:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you have enough. In 20 years, I've not seen the need to prove domicile intent to be an issue or recall anyone ever being asked for said proof. While it might be in some countries, the UK is not one of them. The US Embassy is very lax about this issue.

What you have is good enough on that score for the Embassy interview.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

visa_hopper is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks great, hoping it goes very smoothly.

Originally Posted by fenbristol
- My wife's birth certificate (plus copy)
Did you ever find any evidence that this is needed? Its only thing I'm lacking.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by visa_hopper
Looks great, hoping it goes very smoothly.

Did you ever find any evidence that this is needed? Its only thing I'm lacking.
I'm taking it based on "You must obtain the original, or certified copy (provided by the issuing authority), of the birth record of each family member (yourself, your spouse, and all unmarried children under the age of 21, even if they are not immigrating with you." from https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/famil...red-documents/

Though to be honest, I don't think I actually need it and no other previous experiences I've read have asked for it so I'm sure you'll be fine!
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 9:26 pm
Concierge

Your interview was scheduled for today. Did you miss it?
Old Apr 24th 2018, 7:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Your interview was scheduled for today. Did you miss it?
Nope, It's next Monday:

Originally Posted by fenbristol
So my CR-1 interview is a week from tomorrow!

Old Apr 24th 2018, 9:38 am
Concierge

Duh!