Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

CR-1 form (what else would be needed)?

Wikiposts

CR-1 form (what else would be needed)?

Old Jan 11th 2009, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

jack09 is just really nicejack09 is just really nicejack09 is just really nicejack09 is just really nicejack09 is just really nicejack09 is just really nicejack09 is just really nicejack09 is just really nice
Default Re: CR-1 form (what else would be needed)?

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Right. I lost track with him asking about I-130. (But they could start now, before marriage, with a joint bak account if they wanted to.)
with getting a joint bank account, wouldnt i need a social security number in the US? or would her one be enough? as im pretty sure if i went to open an american bank account myself, i wouldnt be allowed to.

@ meauxna - I wouldnt put her name on any of my bills, as we have never lived together, only stayed at eachothers places for periods of time.

@ clarissageo - So photos of us together, photos of us on holiday together, and internet chat history all counts? thats good to know, as we have lots of them ha, i wonder if i could just send in facebook and photobucket links , we are on skype video everyday, how can i prove that?

Also another question, as im trying hard to find the actual documentation that is needed. If we where to get married in the UK, what does she need to do??, infact, what do i need to do?
Its also wierd that you have to have a wedding in a building in the UK and you cannot have it outdoors. i found that very strange, i would of thought u could get married where ever you like.
i think its harder to get married in england, there seems a lot more issues than getting married in the US.

She wouldnt need any special visa would she? surley she could come over as normal as she usually does.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Generally if you have proof of a US address, you can open a bank account. You do not need a SSN (although a lot of banks will tell you that you do).
Old Jan 11th 2009, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

jack09 is just really nicejack09 is just really nicejack09 is just really nicejack09 is just really nicejack09 is just really nicejack09 is just really nicejack09 is just really nicejack09 is just really nice

ok so to get married in england it doesnt seem as hard as i initially thought, as there is no special visa needed for USC, i take it that its placing the notice on town hall or something for 7days, and then if there is no objections ect. that we are able to get married?

but it still has to be indoors?
lush grass everywhere in the country, and not allowed to get married on it?
Old Jan 12th 2009, 12:45 am
The Wee Wifey

LynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jack09
ok so to get married in england it doesnt seem as hard as i initially thought, as there is no special visa needed for USC, i take it that its placing the notice on town hall or something for 7days, and then if there is no objections ect. that we are able to get married?

but it still has to be indoors?
lush grass everywhere in the country, and not allowed to get married on it?
Your USC girlfriend will need a special visa to get married in the UK, but it's really easy to get. Just have her visit the UK Embassy in the USA website. My hubby got his processed in less than a week, and it allows them to stay for up to 6 months. The rules for wedding are different in England & Wales to Scotland. We got married in Scotland, outdoors, and I have friends who got married at the top of Ben Nevis. So if you want an outdoor wedding you could go up to Scotland.

Lyn
Old Jan 12th 2009, 2:11 am
Just Joined

hehe thanks for the info ,
Yeh i was looking into it more, the previous website i got my information from was wrong, cos you do, as you said need a special visa (£63).

We could get married in Scotland, but i think we would want it close to home, since then more people are able to come. (no poor excuses about money ). But from the looks of it, i think it would be better to actually marry in the US, as there doesnt seem to be so many rules on it.

UK has that you have to live(i think just be in, not actually own a house or anything) in the area of the place you want to register marriage, and that it has to be one of 76 locations available, and then you have to wait 15days, and if no one complains to the wedding going ahead, it is accepted, and you are allowed to marry where you like (unless you want to marry in a church, then you would have to stay in the city you registered). Now although that doesnt seem like to much of a drama. US doesnt seem to have anything like that, and we can have it outside, and it will be warm in Mesa

Well all this planning is for a while off yet, but its always good to have the knowledge .

Last edited by jack09; Jan 12th 2009 at 2:43 am.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 2:16 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

US doesnt seem to have anything like that, and we can have it outside, and it will be warm in Mesa

Well all this planning is for a while off yet, but its always good to have the knowledge .
If you mean Mesa, Arizona, that's where I live. We had our wedding at the Mesa courthouse, I can give you details when the time comes. You are right, it's very straightforward, you can even apply for the marriage license and get married on the same day. No waiting.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:05 am
Just Joined

hehe yeh i was given some locations by my girlfriend, that she liked. http://www. boojumtree. com/index. aspx was one of them, and i think the courthouse may have been another...
http://www. glendaleaz. com/civiccenter/photogallery. cfm
http://www. waterfrontparties. com/weddings/weddings. asp
infact it was thoughs ones.

im going out there in march to a friends wedding, im not sure where she is having it though, but i think it is in Mesa. Free bar.. thats all im saying
Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:13 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

@ clarissageo - So photos of us together, photos of us on holiday together, and internet chat history all counts? thats good to know, as we have lots of them ha, i wonder if i could just send in facebook and photobucket links , we are on skype video everyday, how can i prove that?
Yep, they all count - not sure about how to print a skype history off though, I've looked a couple of times but not found anything - but if you've got all your internet chat history and photos etc, I'm sure that will suffice. Thats all we sent in and our actual relationship was never questioned throughout the process.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:43 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

j,

You should not need a US social security number to have a joint bank account, hers alone should be enough. The bank just needs a SSN for somebody on the account to report any interest that may be earned.

I made my wife a joint owner of my checking account while waiting for my petition to be processed. She had neither a SSN nor an ITIN at the time. (Although I subsequently did get her an ITIN so that we could file a joint tax return.)

Regards, JEff

with getting a joint bank account, wouldnt i need a social security number in the US? or would her one be enough? as im pretty sure if i went to open an american bank account myself, i wouldnt be allowed to.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

Ok thanks, I think we will get a joint account set up in March when i go out there.