Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

CR-1 form (what else would be needed)?

Wikiposts

CR-1 form (what else would be needed)?

Old Jan 6th 2009, 9:36 am
Just Joined

jack09 is just really nicejack09 is just really nicejack09 is just really nicejack09 is just really nicejack09 is just really nicejack09 is just really nicejack09 is just really nicejack09 is just really nice
Default CR-1 form (what else would be needed)?

Hello,
Ive been reading the site for hours today. Lots of information, very good stuff, answered a lot of my questions, but some stuff i still cannot find. or i might be over complicating things myself.

Situation:
Im from the UK and have a girlfriend in US, she is a USC im UKC. I have thought about the K-1 route to get married, but then also think it is rather early to plan for such i thing, Also seems that the cost is greater than CR-1 ($1000+ to change status???), and seems to be pointless as it now takes the same time as the CR-1 form anyway that seems a lot cheaper.

My questions are, where can i find out the information on the CR-1 (I-130) form. like i read that there is photos and such that is also required, but i cannot see this information on the website.

what are all the forms and extras actually needed?

i understand there would need to be the sponsorship form filled out aswell, does this all get done at the same time?

what would my girlfriend(wife at time of filling forms out) need to fill out?
just a I-130 and I-864?

If we get married while im on the VWP, we can start filling out the forms while im still there? aslong as i go back within the 90days, and then i have to fill the rest out when it gets to london?

does anyone know the time the form will take from Phoenix service center roughly? i know its said to take about 8-10 months in total, just wondered if the center its done at makes that much of a difference.

basiclly is there a list of absolutely everything that will be needed?
also a rough idea of the cost?

sorry for all the questions, i have no doubt they have been aswered somewhere before, its just hard to find them, and the more i read the more questions appear. My girlfriend just flew back home today after the christmas period so just feeling sad and trying to figure out a good way to be together. 9 weeks till i see her again!

thanks.
jd
Old Jan 6th 2009, 9:49 am
Just Joined

jack09 is just really nicejack09 is just really nicejack09 is just really nicejack09 is just really nicejack09 is just really nicejack09 is just really nicejack09 is just really nicejack09 is just really nice
Default Re: CR-1 form (what else would be needed)?

just realised that the photos ect are all part of the CR-1 form. doh.
still is there a full list of all bits and bobs needed?

jd
Old Jan 6th 2009, 9:52 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi jd,

To answer a few of your questions:

1. It's not the Phoenix service center. If she lives in Phoenix, I believe she will use the California Service Center to file the I-130 (double check the instructions on the I-130 form).

2. It takes approximately 8 to 10 months from filing the I-130 to getting the CR-1 in hand, no matter what service center is used. You don't have a choice on which service center, anyway...you have to use the one which serivces where she lives.

3. Yes, you can get married on the VWP and then file the I-130 while you're still in the USA. You'll go back to the UK before your 90 days is up, and then proceed in the UK from there.

4. All the forms can be found at www.uscis.gov, Immigration Forms. You'll need to look at the I-130, G-325A, and I-864. The instructions for the I-130 list all the things she will need provide along with the I-130. The fees are also listed on the website.

5. After the I-130 is filed, she will have some correspondence with NVC (National Visa Center) here in the USA, which will include them asking for the I-864 (and a fee for that as well). I'm not up to date on the fees involved, probably someone else will come along and let you know.

6. You didn't ask, but you ARE allowed to visit the USA on the VWP while your CR-1 is being processed. Just bring proof of your ties to the UK in case you are asked at the POE.

7. The forms you will need to fill out for your visa application are at the US Embassy in London's website. You can print them and practice filling them out to get a feel for what you'll need, but wait for the barcoded forms to come to you in the mail when the time comes.

Guess that's it for now...hope that helps a bit.

Rene
Old Jan 6th 2009, 9:53 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Just so you know, there isn't really a "CR-1 form". There are petition forms and then visa application forms.

Rene
Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:01 am
Just Joined

thank you
the practice filling out of the forms seem like a good idea. I will have a look into them tomorrow (at work ).
Ill read the I-130 instructions tomorrow aswell, and list down what is needed. hehe forms confuse me!!

jd
Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:02 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Just so you know, there isn't really a "CR-1 form". There are petition forms and then visa application forms.

Rene
That's right.. this is all in support of an Immigrant Visa application.

Also, a note for all, I-130 filing addresses have changed yet again.

Where to File :

All petitioners filing stand-alone Form I-130 must submit their petitions to the Chicago Lockbox instead of a USCIS Service Center
. Form I-130 petitions filed with the Chicago Lockbox will be routed to, and adjudicated at, the appropriate USCIS Service Center. This routing will be based on the petitioner’s place of residence in the United States.
Important: Any Form I-130 filed at an incorrect location will be rejected.

Petitioners who reside in AK, AZ, CA, CO, Guam, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MS, MT, NE, NV, ND, OH, OR, SD, UT, WA, WI, or WY must file their stand-alone Form I-130s with the Lockbox using the following address:
USCIS
P.O. Box 804625
Chicago, IL 60680-4107

Petitioners who reside in AL, AR, CT, DL, FL, GA, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OK, PA, Puerto Rico, RI, SC, TN, TX, VT, VA, U.S. Virgin Islands, WV, or District of Columbia must file their stand-alone Form I-130 with the Lockbox using the following address:
USCIS
P.O. Box 804616
Chicago, IL 60680-4107

Any U.S. resident petitioner submitting a completed I-130 by courier/express delivery, should use the following address:
USCIS Lockbox
Attn: SAI-130
131 South Dearborn – 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517

Note: Applicants who reside in the jurisdiction of the Baltimore, MD, USCIS District Office need to file their concurrent Form I-130/Form I-485 package with the Chicago Lockbox according to the filing instructions on Form I-485 for family-based adjustment-of-status applicants.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 2:30 pm
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jack09
thank you
the practice filling out of the forms seem like a good idea. I will have a look into them tomorrow (at work ).
Ill read the I-130 instructions tomorrow aswell, and list down what is needed. hehe forms confuse me!!

jd
if the I130 is confusing you, wait til you get to the I864.... thats a whole bunch of giggles
Old Jan 6th 2009, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

ahgg!
when we do come to fill them out, ill make sure her dad is there aswell, he is a smart guy, make sure we dont miss any important things out.
it wont be for a while yet. Maybe May when im there for a couple months. Just gathering all the information now, so i have a general knowledge of what is needed, and the process
just going to go read the I-130 form instructions now.
does anyone have a link to the forms i will need to fill out once it all gets to the london office? so i can look into them aswell.

haha ill save looking at the I-864 for later, when i feel like a mind melt
Old Jan 7th 2009, 3:01 am
Just Joined

ok so say i have the marrage certificate, it also wants other documentation as evidence such as:
1. Documentation showing joint ownership or property
2. A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence
3. Documentation showing co-mingling of financial resources
4. Birth certificate(s) of child(ren) born to you, the petitioner, and your spouse together
5. Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship. (Each affidavit must contain the full name and address, date and place of birth of the person making the affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner of beneficiary, if any, and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge of your marriage)
6. Any other relevant documentation to establish that there is an ongoing marital union

ok so the first 4 we cannot do, affidavits can be done, but what does it mean by other relevant documentation? what else could i include to show we are married?
Old Jan 7th 2009, 3:24 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

ahgg!
when we do come to fill them out, ill make sure her dad is there aswell, he is a smart guy, make sure we dont miss any important things out.
it wont be for a while yet. Maybe May when im there for a couple months. Just gathering all the information now, so i have a general knowledge of what is needed, and the process
just going to go read the I-130 form instructions now.
does anyone have a link to the forms i will need to fill out once it all gets to the london office? so i can look into them aswell.

haha ill save looking at the I-864 for later, when i feel like a mind melt
Here's a start. Make yourself a list from your research; it will be easier.

http://www.familybasedimmigration.co...hread.php?t=12

http://www.familybasedimmigration.com/forum/nvc.php
Old Jan 7th 2009, 8:31 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

ok so say i have the marrage certificate, it also wants other documentation as evidence such as:
4. Birth certificate(s) of child(ren) born to you, the petitioner, and your spouse together
5. Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship. (Each affidavit must contain the full name and address, date and place of birth of the person making the affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner of beneficiary, if any, and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge of your marriage)
6. Any other relevant documentation to establish that there is an ongoing marital union

ok so the first 4 we cannot do, affidavits can be done, but what does it mean by other relevant documentation? what else could i include to show we are married?
We struggled with that also, we included photographs of us together in various locations, with the kids and the family, and, as we also met online, we included chat logs from Second life, yahoo, MSN & Skype. DH and I also wrote a statement each describing how our relationship had developed and our plans for the future.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 8:39 am

Some couples add each other to bank accounts, insurance, utility bills, leases.
etc.
Think about everything boring in life, and that is what married life is *really* like (they don't usually tell you til much later). Just add any paper related to that.

/flip
(only a little tongue in cheek)
Old Jan 7th 2009, 9:03 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

j,

Not to show that you are married, the marriage certificate alone does that. To show that you have a bona fide marriage - married and living (or intending to live) your lives together, not married solely so that you can immigrate to the USA.

As meauxna explained, examine how you live your lives and document those things that you do that would be expected of married couples who live apart.

#3 is significant in the 'money talks' culture of the USA, so if you haven't yet co-mingled your finances get started.

Regards, JEff

Old Jan 7th 2009, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
#3 is significant in the 'money talks' culture of the USA, so if you haven't yet co-mingled your finances get started.
Well, maybe after they're married.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:14 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Right. I lost track with him asking about I-130. (But they could start now, before marriage, with a joint bak account if they wanted to.)

Originally Posted by meauxna
Well, maybe after they're married.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.