CR-1 Approved!

Old Sep 18th 2019, 10:57 am
Just Joined

klawrence is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CR-1 Approved!

My UKC husband's visa was approved(ish- I'll explain below) this morning at the embassy in London! I'm the USC. I've been relying on this site heavily since we started researching last December, so thank you for all of your advice and responses to my numerous questions! I wanted to explain a few things that happened at his interview today. I realize everyone's experience is different and often dependant on your interviewer that day, but a few things did surprise me. Sorry this is long but hope it's helpful to some!

-Husband arrived on his own at 830am as I had to drop off the baby. He went up alone and gave his paper work over to a guy.
-We used my dad as a co sponsor as we have no proof of US income yet and it was just our easiest option. We will definitely have work when we land in January (4 months from now), but no contracts have been drafted yet
-The guy taking his paperwork asked why I put $0 for my income on the I-864 vs saying the USD equivalent of my foreign earned income. I did this because the instructions say to put the amount under "total income" on your 1040. He said, I understand why she did this, but she could've put her GBP salary amount.
-He hardly took any paperwork. Didn't take my dad's I-864 (the one that actually mattered!), birth certificates, tax returns for either of us, etc
-Within 30 min I'm upstairs with him for the interview. The woman interviewing us asks about my work history and future plans. She then says my UK income is good enough to satisfy the financial requirement and that I didn't need anything from my dad. I was shocked by this. ALSO, I did not have my tax transcripts. I had them for my dad, but only tried to access them for myself yesterday and couldn't. It sounds like many people have been asked for this recently. I found a form 9325 that said I submitted my taxes for 2018, but she didn't even take it from us. Again, shocked me.
-As I saw here, little to no proof was required to show intent to domicile. I gave a US bank statement and we verbally told her our life plans, but she didn't look at the bank statement.
-She quizzed my husband on his arrest in 2003 and conviction for assault (bar fight because he was young and very stupid). He said we tried to get court records but they no longer exist. She said ok, well it was a long time ago and relatively minor. We see much worse!
-Overall, I was surprised at how much info she was taking at face value from us. We took an oath and were telling the truth 100%, but much of what we told her couldn't be backed up with paperwork. I guess I've just been through the process for UK visas and found it much more difficult and stringent.

Then she said we were approved! BUT I said, when we go to Boston next month for a brief vacation will his green card be triggered then? What next? She said, oh...you can't trigger the green card simply for a vacation. You'll get in trouble for that. So she told us to mail in his passport when we are back in the UK next month, they'll then process the green card. So technically she gave us a piece of paper saying "visa denied due to needing additional information (his passport)." She said if he wants to interview for jobs he'll need to do it via skype as he cannot enter the US as a visa holder again without me. This surprised me as I had asked previously about this on this forum and others side it would be fine. Maybe it would've been fine, but we're going to do what she told us to do.

Overall, super easy process. Started end of Jan and approved mid September, so less than 8 months. We could've had it done in 6 months but we took our time because we had no need to go faster. Thank you for all your help again, and good luck!
Old Sep 19th 2019, 2:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CR-1 Approved!

"She said if he wants to interview for jobs he'll need to do it via skype as he cannot enter the US as a visa holder again without me. This surprised me as I had asked previously about this on this forum and others side it would be fine. Maybe it would've been fine, but we're going to do what she told us to do."
I don't know who on this forum would have told you this but the CO is correct. Your husband cannot enter the US to activate his visa without you either being with him or already in the US.

Completely surprised by the lack of attention to the I-864 on the CO's part. As for the need for tax transcripts, it is one of the read me posts at the start of this forum.

Congratulations on your approval.
Old Sep 20th 2019, 11:12 am
Just Joined

alilbabba is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations! Interesting they didn't scrutinize the financials.

You put a smile on my face & took a little stress away. Husband just did physical yesterday, so we'll be there soon. I'll still prepare as if I hadn't read your thread. But thanks for a little smile!
Old Sep 28th 2019, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

vivid291 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's very exciting, you must be so happy! Thank you so much for sharing, it's really so helpful for someone still going through the process.

I'm hoping to be at interview stage before the end of this year, fingers crossed! Just out of curiosity, how far in advance was your interview scheduled from the point that NVC approved you application, AOS and supporting documents? I've just submitted my financial documents and I believe there is a 6 week wait for any kind of approval at the moment. Did you find that the estimated wait time for that was also accurate?
Old Sep 28th 2019, 10:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
I don't know who on this forum would have told you this but the CO is correct. Your husband cannot enter the US to activate his visa without you either being with him or already in the US.

Completely surprised by the lack of attention to the I-864 on the CO's part. As for the need for tax transcripts, it is one of the read me posts at the start of this forum.

Congratulations on your approval.

Sorry, I think what I was saying was a bit confusing. Our plan was to enter as a family next month (both of us and baby) all together, and then come back to London for a few months until we permanently move in January. I was told on here that’s common to do as many people have various things to sort out back in their home country. Of course now that we aren’t activating the green card next month we know he can’t come over again with out me. I guess it’s easier in some ways knowing we don’t have to worry about a joint tax return for 2019 now!
Old Sep 28th 2019, 10:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by vivid291
That's very exciting, you must be so happy! Thank you so much for sharing, it's really so helpful for someone still going through the process.

I'm hoping to be at interview stage before the end of this year, fingers crossed! Just out of curiosity, how far in advance was your interview scheduled from the point that NVC approved you application, AOS and supporting documents? I've just submitted my financial documents and I believe there is a 6 week wait for any kind of approval at the moment. Did you find that the estimated wait time for that was also accurate?
Since we applied in London and both live here we never submitted anything through that NVC and never had to wait for approvals to book his interview after the i-130 (not sure what AOS is, sorry). After we received the letter saying our I-130 was approved, his case number came 2/3 weeks later. We then did the DS-260 and medical, although we took our time. He then was able to book the interview within 5 days after the medical, and there were loads of appointments available. Sorry if that’s not helpful, I think separate circumstances for how we applied. Overall for us was a very quick process.
Old Sep 28th 2019, 12:44 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by klawrence

Sorry, I think what I was saying was a bit confusing. Our plan was to enter as a family next month (both of us and baby) all together, and then come back to London for a few months until we permanently move in January. I was told on here that’s common to do as many people have various things to sort out back in their home country. Of course now that we aren’t activating the green card next month we know he can’t come over again with out me. I guess it’s easier in some ways knowing we don’t have to worry about a joint tax return for 2019 now!
Gotcha! Thanks for the clarification.