Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

CR-1 Application UK Permanent Resident

CR-1 Application UK Permanent Resident

Old Feb 9th 2017, 10:03 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CR-1 Application UK Permanent Resident

Congratulations on the approval of the first step. Many more to come.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

avneric is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Rete.

We`ve started gathering the info for the NVC stage and there are two question marks at this point:

1. Shall I apply for ACRO already or it`s too early assuming police certificate would be only valid for six months.

2.We are going to have a sponsor as my wife income doesn`t meet the required threshold. She had an issue submitting last year taxes as she was a subject of identity theft (an issue quite common within the IRS). She would file her tax return for this year shortly. However, I was wondering if I would have any issue either with NVC or London Embassy at the time of my interview.

Very Best Wishes,
Avi
Old Feb 10th 2017, 2:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The ACRO only takes about 10 days, so far to early to apply for that now. Leave it, unless you have some misdemeanors in your background, until the NVC has approved the affidavit and moved your case onto the UK. You will need it for the medical.

As for the taxes, did she file at all? She will need to complete the I-864 for you and you will also submit a new I-864 from your joint sponsor.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, it makes sense to leave it as there are no issues in my background.

As for the taxes, she had an appointment with IRS last year and tried to file her taxes. She was told that someone else had claimed her on a different tax return however they took her paper based tax return. She was handed a copy of her return with an IRS stamp on it, a PIN number and advised that was an identity fraud made by someone else on her name and they are aware of it.

We are now at the point that she would file for 2016. However, we are concerned whether the same situation would arise once again. Really confused...

Very Best Wishes,
Avi
Old Feb 10th 2017, 3:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avneric
2.We are going to have a sponsor as my wife income doesn`t meet the required threshold. She had an issue submitting last year taxes as she was a subject of identity theft (an issue quite common within the IRS). She would file her tax return for this year shortly. However, I was wondering if I would have any issue either with NVC or London Embassy at the time of my interview.

Very Best Wishes,
Avi
Your wife is still your sponsor, even if she doesn't meet the financial requirements. She will still need to complete and submit an I-864. The other person is a joint sponsor and will submit a separate I-864.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 6:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Shall I apply for ACRO already or it`s too early assuming police certificate would be only valid for six months.
While the ACRO certificate can't be more than 6 months old when you go for your medical, they are valid for one year for US immigration purposes.

We are going to have a sponsor as my wife income doesn`t meet the required threshold.
As the USC spouse, your wife must be your sponsor. There is no option for her not to be your sponsor. Any other person who helps you meet the financial requirements will be a joint sponsor. The two terms are not interchangeable.

I was wondering if I would have any issue either with NVC or London Embassy at the time of my interview.
By and large, US immigration has no interest in any issue she has with the IRS. It's unlikely to be an issue.

Ian
Old Feb 10th 2017, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it makes sense to leave it as there are no issues in my background.

As for the taxes, she had an appointment with IRS last year and tried to file her taxes. She was told that someone else had claimed her on a different tax return however they took her paper based tax return. She was handed a copy of her return with an IRS stamp on it, a PIN number and advised that was an identity fraud made by someone else on her name and they are aware of it.

We are now at the point that she would file for 2016. However, we are concerned whether the same situation would arise once again. Really confused...

Very Best Wishes,
Avi
To file now she needs to enter the PIN. Without that neither she nor any fraudster can file, so it all should be OK.
Old Feb 11th 2017, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Thank you all for your replies.

This morning our case was sent to the Department of State as per USCIS so I would probably start chasing them from next week.

We are also going to file my wife`s taxes using her PIN and hope for the best.

Very Best Wishes,
Avi
Old Feb 11th 2017, 1:32 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I would probably start chasing them from next week.
Why?

Ian
Old Feb 14th 2017, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

Why?

Ian
To check if they received our case at NVC.

Is it a bad idea?
Old Feb 14th 2017, 11:18 am
Account Closed

To check if they received our case at NVC.
I understand your anxiety, but you need to know that while the wheels of US immigration turn slowly... they do turn. Yours is not the only application they've received and they get many hundreds each day and it takes time to go through them all.

Is it a bad idea?
It's not necessarily a bad idea... but you're not going to find out anything you don't already know - and that's only going to further your anxiety. It could be 3-4 weeks before NVC gets to your paperwork.

All I'm suggesting is that you allow the system to work before you frivolously begin chasing up paperwork that doesn't need chasing!

Ian
Old Feb 16th 2017, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Ian.

I guess you`re right and yes I am already anxious.

On a bright side, I am going to see my wife for a short 4 days holiday to the Dominican Republic and I am so excited. That looks better than endless Skype sessions

Very Best Wishes,
Avi
Old Mar 5th 2017, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Just an update to let you know we have now been successfully registered with NVC on CEAC.

We managed to complete DS-261 choice of agent, however, we did not select an agent/attorney and we just chose my wife`s address. We paid the AOS fee and still waiting for the IV fee to be invoiced in the system.

As I now hold dual citizenship does anybody know if it`s safe to use my British passport as the main document for visa processing when filling the DS-260 online? On my I-130 I used a different EU passport as I didn`t hold the UK citizenship at that time.

Very Best Wishes,
A.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 5:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

We paid the AOS fee and still waiting for the IV fee to be invoiced in the system.
Just for others reading, "AOS" here refers to Affidavit of Support (not Adjustment of Status).

As I now hold dual citizenship does anybody know if it`s safe to use my British passport as the main document for visa processing when filling the DS-260 online? On my I-130 I used a different EU passport as I didn`t hold the UK citizenship at that time.
That should be fine.

Rene
Old Mar 27th 2017, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Many Thanks Rene.

Avi