Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

CR-1 Aff of Support--where to send?

Wikiposts

CR-1 Aff of Support--where to send?

Old May 10th 2009, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

jbfaust is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CR-1 Aff of Support--where to send?

1-130 for CR-1 was approved March 5.

NVC contacted us to pay fees back in April including Aff of Support which included a cover sheet with an address in new hampshire to send "forms and supporting documents."

Next I called NVC because I was confused about where to send the Aff. of Support. I was told that my case had been forwarded to London on April 7th and told very clearly not to send anything else to the NVC in New Hampshire. At this point we had paid all the fees and the agent selection form. About two weeks after the application was transfered my husband got notice from London with a link to http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new...iv/ds2001.html At this point he sent the ds-2001 and ds-230 part I. That was sent on April 21. I filled out the I-864EZ and sent it as a pdf with all supporting docs to my husband. Now I'm still a bit confused about whether it was supposed to go to the nvc (despite my warning not to send anything--isn't that what the cover sheet is for)... or should we mail it to the embassy? I have read every website and post I can get my hands on regarding where to send it and all it seems to say is don't send anything until requested, but I'm still confused and certainly don't want to hold up my husband's appointment. Thanks for any clarity.
Old May 10th 2009, 6:43 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CR-1 Aff of Support--where to send?

Originally Posted by jbfaust
1-130 for CR-1 was approved March 5.

NVC contacted us to pay fees back in April including Aff of Support which included a cover sheet with an address in new hampshire to send "forms and supporting documents."

Next I called NVC because I was confused about where to send the Aff. of Support. I was told that my case had been forwarded to London on April 7th and told very clearly not to send anything else to the NVC in New Hampshire. At this point we had paid all the fees and the agent selection form. About two weeks after the application was transfered my husband got notice from London with a link to http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new...iv/ds2001.html At this point he sent the ds-2001 and ds-230 part I. That was sent on April 21. I filled out the I-864EZ and sent it as a pdf with all supporting docs to my husband. Now I'm still a bit confused about whether it was supposed to go to the nvc (despite my warning not to send anything--isn't that what the cover sheet is for)... or should we mail it to the embassy? I have read every website and post I can get my hands on regarding where to send it and all it seems to say is don't send anything until requested, but I'm still confused and certainly don't want to hold up my husband's appointment. Thanks for any clarity.
I'll bet you have a K-3 case going too...
Old May 10th 2009, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

Yes. Our K-3 was forwarded to the embassy while NVC was sending us instructions about the CR-1 at the exact same time. We canceled the K-3 case by writing to the embassy. The embassy called my husband and asked him if we wanted to pursue the immigrant visa. He wasn't quite sure but he said yes and that's about when our CR-1 case was forwarded to London. What should I do about the Aff. of Support? I was never given word to send it to NVC and now we're waiting for an appointment in London for the CR-1, not K-3.
Old May 10th 2009, 6:52 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Our K-3 was forwarded to the embassy while NVC was sending us instructions about the CR-1 at the exact same time. We canceled the K-3 case by writing to the embassy. The embassy called my husband and asked him if we wanted to pursue the immigrant visa. He wasn't quite sure but he said yes and that's about when our CR-1 case was forwarded to London. What should I do about the Aff. of Support? I was never given word to send it to NVC and now we're waiting for an appointment in London for the CR-1, not K-3.
My layman's opinoin is that if NVC went ahead and forwarded your Immigrant Visa case to London without the I-864, then it will be OK to show the I-864 at his visa interview.

Rene
Old May 10th 2009, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

That was my thought and I was convinced of that for a while. But for some reason I was nosing through some other threads and I got this feeling in my gut that we're missing something. I am fairly certain that we're waiting for a CR-1 and not a K-3 appointment. As I said, we were given notice to let London know when we were ready for a K-3 interview and we wrote them saying we were not going that route and then we completed each step of the CR-1 to the book... up until this step was skipped. Should I call the NVC helpline again on Monday to double check, or write a letter to the embassy? Both have been valid ways for us to get a response in the past (although the embassy was slow to respond and quite honestly they called my husband who is less involved in the process than I am). We are still waiting for our appointment date and I'm still a bit worried that they're waiting for the NVC to forward the Aff of support... or is this not likely?
Old May 10th 2009, 7:01 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

That was my thought and I was convinced of that for a while. But for some reason I was nosing through some other threads and I got this feeling in my gut that we're missing something. I am fairly certain that we're waiting for a CR-1 and not a K-3 appointment. As I said, we were given notice to let London know when we were ready for a K-3 interview and we wrote them saying we were not going that route and then we completed each step of the CR-1 to the book... up until this step was skipped. Should I call the NVC helpline again on Monday to double check, or write a letter to the embassy? Both have been valid ways for us to get a response in the past (although the embassy was slow to respond and quite honestly they called my husband who is less involved in the process than I am). We are still waiting for our appointment date and I'm still a bit worried that they're waiting for the NVC to forward the Aff of support... or is this not likely?
If the embassy is doing your Immigrant Visa process, and they sent him the proper visa application package, then I would say they are not waiting for anything else. They would not have sent him the visa application package and statement of readiness if they were still waiting for something from NVC (to my knowledge).

Rene
Old May 10th 2009, 7:01 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I would be concerned that you've got the two cases crossed as well. I think calling the NVC is a good idea because they don't normally forward the case until they have all the paperwork and mark the file 'case complete' (their lingo, try using that).
Try to get them to separate the K-3 from the Immigrant Visa case. Normally a K-3 case would be forwarded on to the Embassy as you describe, but the IV case should not be until you've submitted all documents.
Old May 10th 2009, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If the embassy is doing your Immigrant Visa process, and they sent him the proper visa application package, then I would say they are not waiting for anything else. They would not have sent him the visa application package and statement of readiness if they were still waiting for something from NVC (to my knowledge).

Rene
The thing is, the application packages look nearly identical (London uses the "IV instructions" for the IV and K cases).
London could have sent the K-3 instructions from what they have written; it's just not clear.

I personally would not wait to hear from the Embassy, I'd contact NVC and probably the Embassy as well, to see what case they have.
Old May 10th 2009, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

When the embassy called my husband they asked him something like "would like you like us to request that your immigrant case be sent to us" he was like uh... "I need to ask my wife... but yes." Like I said I feel this is absolutely the only step that was skipped, all fees were paid, and all other forms normally sent to NVC besides Aff of Support were also sent. The process moving forward on the London side also seems to be standard for the CR-1. As far as I know the K-3 has been killed. Assuming my husband gets an appointment date he will have the Aff. of support in hand to bring to the appointment. Should this suffice?

"The thing is, the application packages look nearly identical (London uses the "IV instructions" for the IV and K cases).
London could have sent the K-3 instructions from what they have written; it's just not clear."

Yes: they originally did send K-3 instructions. We ignored them and wrote them a letter informing them that we were pursuing the immigrant visa. The next time they contacted us they sent IV instructions. I double checked the two links.
Old May 10th 2009, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

I should also mention that we had two different case numbers for the K-3 and the IV or CR-1 (whatever you want to call it). The most recent correspondence has all been with the CR-1 number.
Old May 14th 2009, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

I wanted to update our status; yesterday my husband was given an interview date, June 1st (only 2.5 weeks away!). Looks like he'll just bring the Aff of Support to the interview as it was never requested.